1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

question about rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:18 PM
question about rear brakes

did anyone put on rear brakes? because i wanted to put rear brakes but i dun no how i can get it and will rear brakes help a lot when brakin on fit?

help me out guyz!!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have rear brakes. Work really well.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
the rear drums work fine... unless you really want to be anal about it.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
are you talking about adding rear disc brakes instead of the stock drums???

Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 PM
rear brakes account for 20-30% of total braking.. can put 4wheel disc to be prettier behind rims but kinda unnecessary

Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
are you talking about adding rear disc brakes instead of the stock drums???

yea i want to add rear brakes =] so how can i do it and where i can buy it??

Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure he realizes his car has rear brakes already.

What's wrong with drums? There's a reason all the big rigs use nothing but drums, and most of those trucks are near 40 tons loaded (some up to 60 tons). On a tiny little car like this, I'd be surprised if you EVER wear out the shoes. Sure the drums might rust apart in 10 years but the shoes don't seem to ever die in a honda...

Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 AM
so there has rear brakes on my fit? sorry i didnt notice i will check it out again....btw what is drum?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 AM

Old 11-17-2009, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member

I hate character limits!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:12 AM
oh.... i didnt really know.. lol...sorry im noob =[ but anyways...so how can i upgrade the brakes?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by takuyagenki
oh.... i didnt really know.. lol...sorry im noob =[ but anyways...so how can i upgrade the brakes?
Are you serious? You have a licence ?

Anyhow now that you know there are rear drum brakes why do you want to upgrade? Are you having trouble stopping?

My rear drums.

Name:  100_6656.jpg
Views: 2139
Size:  67.1 KB

Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
yea i want to add rear brakes =] so how can i do it and where i can buy it??

Guessing you want to put disc brakes on the rear I suggesrt AJ's. We've had his for 2 years without difficulty. Did have to turn rotors to 8.1 mm to accomodate hawk pads. Performance has been excellent. I agree that drums are adequate but discs are superior by about 10 ft shorter stop than drum from 60 mph and are excellellent on track which we do often.
(Fit Leading ... on Utube.)
I just disagree with Honda giving US drums and the world rear discs. And when I change pads i'm gone long before the drum shoe changers and with a heavier wallet.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member

Upgrade the rear brakes simplist and least expensive by getting hipo shoes from Performance Friction or Hawk and putting hipo tires on your FIT.. Remember that the rear brakes only do 20% of braking.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
so there has rear brakes on my fit? sorry i didnt notice i will check it out again....btw what is drum?
Every road car made in recent history has rear brakes. The most obvious sign of this is the HANDBRAKE - that locks the rear brakes only.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I really wanted this to be a troll thread, but it looks like he might be serious.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know whether I want to laugh or cry.... I can't believe I even came back to this thread.... I just don't know.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Time to make the thread dead...

There is a fine balance to be maintained with the rear brakes. It's called proportioning. More rear braking is good, until comes ANY situation where the rear tires can lock up and the front ones do not. That is what happens right before you spin out, as the mass of the vehicle no longer held by the static friction of the rear tires is able to pivot like a lever around the high friction of the front tires (that are not sliding).

Messing with that can be dangerous business. Too little braking and the rear tires won't hold the car straight when the weight transfers forward and can result in a spinout (needs some rearward drag to offset loss of lateral traction); too much will skid the rears and do the exact same thing.

Ever emergency-stop an early-90's ford pickup? Not enough rear brakes. Some will even spin the rear axle, if the truck is in the air, transmission in D, and brake pedal nearly to the floor, with newly replaced and adjusted shoes/drums. I used to joke as it being ford's type of rear abs they always advertised-- well yup they can't lock. Fortunately in more recent years it seems to have been corrected.

So if you do change them out, your brake proportioning must be changed as well to accommodate it (unless the setup is designed to apply the same braking force to the wheel at high line pressure as the stock setup). However they are really just a complement to the front brakes. Choose your stopping power with the fronts since they get all the weight and traction, and size the rears to provide the greatest stability in those conditions.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuik
I really wanted this to be a troll thread, but it looks like he might be serious.
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I don't know whether I want to laugh or cry.... I can't believe I even came back to this thread.... I just don't know.
and he is roaming the streets and hwys. Pretty scary eh? Maybe once he gets rear brakes he will be less of a hazard.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
I've got one of those early 90's Ford trucks and the ABS actually does work. Of course, I had to rebuild the brakes from the backing plate out in order to get that to happen.

We've been shopping for a Mommymobile, and the 2010 Mazda5 has larger rear discs than the front. 11.8 in the front and 11.9 inch in the rear. The fronts are vented and the rear's solid, however. Vented discs dissapate heat more quickly.

As far as big vehicles using drum brakes go: All of Greyhound's US buses have drums all the way around and steel wheels. The Canadian operation, which has nicer buses (and clientèle - the Canucks don't tear the equipment up), uses disc brakes and aluminum wheels. The primary reason that the US buses use drums is that they are cheaper.

Quick Reply: question about rear brakes