1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

replacement key cutting cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Fa1
Originally Posted by Fitting
Each key should have a different "chip" so they can't start another Fit. Fit and Accord key can't start any other. Otherwise someone with an Accord key would be able to start your Fit.
Not true, the immobilizer chips in our keys can be the same model as the ones in accords. What prevents us from starting each other's cars is the unique ID's they get programmed with at Honda with the HDS.

Originally Posted by chrisng
hmm
good idea i just checked the FCC id numbers between my civic keys and my fit keys

can anyone check their fit one to see if its the same as mine?

FCC ID OUGG8D - 380H-A
IC 850G-G8D380HA

what does this stuff mean anyway?
The ID's are for the unlocking/locking/panic receiver inside your key. Similar ID's mean that you can reprogram the receiver to be able to unlock/lock/panic to your car. It is entirely seperate from the immobilizer chip inside your key. The full serial doesn't need to match just, just the first part of the ID's. For example I am using a TL key on my fit...
FCC ID: OUCG8D-439H-A
ID: 850G-G8D439HA

The programming of the receiver can be done yourself.
Programming of the immobilizer requires the Honda HDS and I think you would need to bring your current keys too as it resets the unique id in the ecu and gives a new one to all keys + ecu.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
oh nice so basically the ID number is the same, but the FCC ID number only the 6 first digits have to be the same? then maybe i can buy the accord key and it will work?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Fa1
For the receiver features, yes. It's hard to know if the immobilizer chips are compatible without opening the key and getting the serial number off the chips.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
oooh haha i'm not going to risk it then.. haha i get it. i get it.. but hten wy is hte imbolizer chip more expensive for the fit than the accord? doesn't make any sense to me..

Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Fa1
Does not make sense to me either...

Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
i wonder if you bought one, took it to Honda and had it cut and programmed if they would tell that it's not a Fit one. For $20, I may just try it. do you have a link to the accord key auction?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
The remote entry and immobilizer chip are two different things.
The chip is an RFID tag this is universal to all Honda cars. The car needs to be told to respond to each chip. The dealer will mate the key with the immobilizer unit.

The Remote entry is universal to most if not all Honda cars made for the US market. This also needs to be mated to the car, but is something the dealer can do or if you dig around on this site there were instructions for doing this mating.

If you look at the switchblade key sticky thread there is a picture of the chip. It looks like a small glass capsule encased in black glue.

The FCC-ID is the license ID for the transmitter for the door locks. This is the same for all fits unless the change it and then they have to have it recertified with the FCC and they get a new number.

The other number is the license in Canada for the same reason as above.

It looked like the thread was going astray and I just wanted to clear up any confusion.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
okay so the FCC ID on my civic and fit are different, but i compared the FCC ID on the accord to the fit and they are the same!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
That means that the Accord and Fit transmitters that you have are licensed under the same FCC license, but the Civic is not. This doesn't mean that the Civic one couldn't be paired to the FIT or Accord, but it means that the Civic has a slightly different version of the transmitter hardware or programming. It was certified from the FCC under at a different time.

I was in the Honda shop today to get wiper blades and the parts guy told me that just about any Honda key made since 2004 could be paired to just about any Honda or Acura vehicle world wide. There are a few exceptions based on particular countries FCC type rules, but all in all they all use the same digital signal codes for each of the keyless features. The key fob just has to be paired with the car so that every time the button is pushed it also sends they vehicle code.

The same goes for the immobilizer chip. There is a 10 key limit on paring with the immobilizer. After 10 something in the computer needs to be flashed and then you can pair up to 10 again, but only 10 can be paired at at a time. So don't loose more than 8 keys beyond the factory 2. To do the flash after 10, I was told that this is big money since they need to hook the car to the diagnostics machine and have it done from Honda HQ remotely.

There were stories of key fob capturing and cloning like old cell phones, but this went away with the rolling code system that is used now. They basically have a algorithm (big mathmatics problem) in the key fob and the car. Each time they talk the car and the fob agree on a new value for x so the next time they talk they are using a different set of security codes to confirm they belong to each other. This is the same thing that garage door openers have been doing since the 1970's

See this for more on the rolling code techniques Rolling code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member
i believe i have found the answer to our question:

Security/Keyless Entry/Locks

just need to read through it. this is an AWESOME resource

Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by chrisng
this is exactly what i was planning on doing, but if another key is only like 100 bucks i might as well just get another one.
"only 100 dollars"
I getting my Fit this thursday, and there had better be at least a door key. Is it just me or does anybody else see a huge problem with the fact that the cars keys cost $150. security or not im sorry but thats too much for an entry level car. Any other car i've every driven only cost 4 bucks tops to get an extra key made at a third party store. and 40 for just a door key is absurd. And if your that worried about someone stealing your 16000 car, just get the 3 or 4 more dollar a month insurance rate.

My biggest concern is first how flimsy these key are supposed to be. plus i like to go kayaking, what happens if it gets wet. I work a physical and rough job, what happens if the key snaps in my pocket. And it may be embarrassing to me, but what happens if i lock my keys in the car. I live in PA, and have to let the car warm up while i clear snow of my car.

Do i have to buy a 40 door key? cause that just sounds ridiculous.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 AM
There are a few cases reported on this site of people dropping their keys in the water and they were all opened and dried out just fine. One of the cases involved white water rafting and they survived.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
I have a Base GD3 and I got two keys when I picked up my Fit. Are you saying your dealer only included one? I always keep a spare key hidden on the car just in case I lock the keys in it. One dealer wanted $92 for the chipped key and $42 for the unchipped key that will only unlock the doors. My dealer's service dept manager milled an unchipped key for free.

I added the Honda keyless entry and alarm (thanks, Bernardi!) and oddly enough, none of my keys will unlock the hatch if the alarm is set.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
okay i went to the dealer and the normal prices are as follows:
105-110 flat reprogramming fee ( doesnt' matter how many keys done)
60-65 for the keys.

i found one dealer selling keys for 45.. but charged the full 110 for the reprogramming..
then found another dealer selling keys for 80! but reprogramming for 52.. so i asked him to price match the 45. he gave them to me for 60.. so ended up being 170 and i had a 25 off 150 service coupon.. so got two keys for 150...

Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
To me doesn't matter what key it is...doesn't have to be oem. I bought a key and remote for $40 and had it programmed for another $40...dealers was $200+
This was for my G35 Coupe but same concept...look into classfied. A lot of locksmith nowadays have the programs for any car and should cost around $40 to program
To cut the key was like $2 bucks
Works like a charm
Looks better than OEm

Just google or ebay transponder key
Ebay it for $22 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...Q5fAccessories

Craigslist the programming

Done

Last edited by FITFITFITFITFIT; 02-24-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 AM
keys

I bought a pair off ebay for like $35. Dealer said he will program and cut key for car. Says he'll do it for $15. He also told me some of these ones from ebay will not work. I'll post we get 1 dine

Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
dang your dealer is the bomb man. these socal guys man ridiculous.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
"Flimsy Key...NOT"

[quote=Crusty Crayon;814299]"only 100 dollars"

My biggest concern is first how flimsy these key are supposed to be. plus i like to go kayaking, what happens if it gets wet. I work a physical and rough job, what happens if the key snaps in my pocket. And it may be embarrassing to me, but what happens if i lock my keys in the car.

Just for your peace of mind, my key went through a complete wash cycle, and almost an entire dryer cycle as well. I didn't open it up or anything, and it is still working 2.5 years later.

'07 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Dang keys are expensive!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
yeah for real. and btw i found my oG key and it doesn't work anymore... but i told the guy not to reprogram it, b/c i knew that i would find the original key.. i think i'm gonna go back and talk to them.

Quick Reply: replacement key cutting cost