1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

HELLPPP...FUSE #22 burn over and over again!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 AM
HELLPPP...FUSE #22 burn over and over again!!

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can help me. My fuse #22 which is for the front light as well as the tail light has burn twice.

I changed it once then it burned within a few minutes and another one withing an hour or so.

Anyone can help?

A friend suggest to change it to 15A but I read somewhere here that its not a good idea..please help...

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 AM
do you have aftermarket LED bulbs, one may be shorting out

Old 04-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Check ur wires prob a short if u have aftermarket if not an ur under warrenty take it to the dealer and let them track it down

Old 04-17-2010, 08:46 AM
no, i don't have aftermarket LED but have aftermarket car alarm. However, the car alarm shop already took off the fuse, which means when I lock my car, the light won't blip.

However, I've installed that car alarm for 3 years and nothing happened so far until recently.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
just bring it to the dealer if you have warranty. otherwise, break out the multimeter I guess.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gooofit
no, i don't have aftermarket LED but have aftermarket car alarm. However, the car alarm shop already took off the fuse, which means when I lock my car, the light won't blip.

However, I've installed that car alarm for 3 years and nothing happened so far until recently.
Removing the Aftermarket Car Alarm fuse will not disconnect it from the light cirucit. You will have to disconnect a physical wire from the car alarm to the light circuit and then observe if the fuse still blows or stays good.

If the fuse does not blow then your Aftermarket alarm is faulty.

If the fuse blows take it to the Stealership and insist on warranty.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Kishore
Removing the Aftermarket Car Alarm fuse will not disconnect it from the light cirucit. You will have to disconnect a physical wire from the car alarm to the light circuit and then observe if the fuse still blows or stays good.

If the fuse does not blow then your Aftermarket alarm is faulty.

If the fuse blows take it to the Stealership and insist on warranty.

Stealership = dealership?
Insist on warranty eventhough my warranty is expired? I believe the standard warranty is 3 years or 36000 miles whichever is sooner right?

I'll try to disconnect the physical wire from the car alarm to the light circuit. So it's possible for it to happen even if it has worked for 3 years?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
Many call the dealerships stealerships cause when you go in they try to steal your money by overcharging or having you do extra work.
If your warrenty expired then nothing you can do.
Even the alarm been on the car and working it could still go bad. Like a subpar connection can loosen after a few years of bumps/jolts from driving. If you haven't had anything done to the car then try to rule out everything that's connected to the lighting system (including the factory wires and bulbs).

Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 AM
took the aftermarket car alarm off but the fuse still blow out. any idea what else should be checked on?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
I think what shazaam said about the multi meter is the best way to go unless you want to spend more than the cost of one letting some guy that charges big bucks to do it for you with one he owns.... You might need to get a book on automotive electrics to help you along.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I think what shazaam said about the multi meter is the best way to go unless you want to spend more than the cost of one letting some guy that charges big bucks to do it for you with one he owns.... You might need to get a book on automotive electrics to help you along.

what's multimeter?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
what's multimeter?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM
I'll be blunt - if you don't know what a multi-meter is, your chances of diagnosing this yourself are slim to none. Take it to a professional . . .

Old 04-25-2010, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Good Advi$e

Originally Posted by Daemione
I'll be blunt - if you don't know what a multi-meter is, your chances of diagnosing this yourself are slim to none. Take it to a professional . . .
Yes Sir take it to an automotive electrical shop.
I do know if it's not pop'n instantly it's not a dead short. If it takes a few minutes it is over amped do to a loose connection, burnt wirng, or both ( headlights draw the most current/amps in this curciut ). And your freind with the "put a bigger fuse in" is incorrect: the reason why is the existing wire that the fuse controlls is the correct size for the fuse and a larger fuse would make the existing wire too small for the increased amp/current flow, and instead of the fuse burning out the wiring would!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:12 AM
ok i'm sorry, what to do with the multimeter now? Check it one by one?

It takes a few minutes before the fuse blow up, about 5 minutes may be...

Prennoud fit: loose connection on??

Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
ok i'm sorry, what to do with the multimeter now? Check it one by one?

It takes a few minutes before the fuse blow up, about 5 minutes may be...

Prennoud fit: loose connection on??
"Loose connection" at any point were the wire is connected. Think about a wire going to all these points, power coming into the fuse pannel, going through the fuse, through another wire and going to a headlight, tail light, and every comma you see here in this writing is a connection in the car.

Not trying to offend but this would be an easy check at an electrical shop which I would highly recommend for you. Get a good idea what it will cost up front. They will prob. want to keep it 1/2 a day.Good Luck

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-26-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
I'd take it back to the alarm shop and tell them that the alarm is acting wierd by blowing the fuse.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I brought it to the car shop and they said that they checked everything under the steer wheel and found nothing. He changed the fuse and turned on the light but found nothing.

However, why after I took the alarm off and changed the fuse, the fuse still burn out within 5 - 10 minutes?