1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Protect my FIT from my monster of a puppy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Protect my FIT from my monster of a puppy!

Hi all! I'm brand new here since I just bought a 2008 fit.

I am looking for the best car seat cover to protect my fit from my destructive monster of a puppy! I have a 2008 LX

I would like to purchase a car back seat cover that would work both when the seat is up and the seat is down. We do quite a bit of switching between up and down so we're really looking for a car cover that would give a maximum of protection with little hassle when we switch between back seat position...

Does anybody have any suggestions? I would think that this probably exists since there is probably a lot of people who switch positions and have dogs but there are so many different companies and options out there, I just don't know which one to pick!!

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Might I suggest a sheet? Just a regular flat sheet. Queen size will cover the seat well and it can be removed to wash with little effort.

I use a beach towel on the seat bottom when I have the kids in the car.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
There're plenty of nice seat covers that work with your seats up or down but none will protect your seats if the puppy does it business on it. They will help keep hair off the seats and some chew protection.
Might be easier to get rubber mat and put over the folded back seat.
What type of dog do you have and what's it doing inside your fit?

Old 05-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately, a sheet won't work since it won't stay in place for sure with Billy.

Ton answer questions about what he does

He digs for gold on the seat (as in scratches scratches scratches).

He will try to eat the seat

He sheds a lot too

He's a tiny white mixed breed about 10 pounds but eats shoes, tables, and pretty much anything he can get his teeth on like a labrador.

But we love him to death so we'll protect the car. :-)

Fitting: can you suggest a couple of brands of back seat covers? Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
But he don't pee in the FIT! Thank god for that!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
one of my four poodles (my parents kids grew up so they replaced them with dogs) does the digging thing. I would freak out if he was doing that to my back seat im not sure any cover will protect your seat from him doing that. Maybe put him in the trunk and get a rubber trunk cover. The trunk is just as safe as the back seat and they sell cages to block the dog from jumping from the trunk to the back seat. Just trying to help you out. Clazzio seat covers are made for looks no so much for dog protection.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
All of the seat covers designed for the fit that I know are not meant to protect from pets.
Did a quick search and found some that will serve to protect your seats and wallet. I haven't shop with them so don't know about their service.
seat protector | PetStore.com

Dog Car Seat Covers, Pet Seat Covers, Car Pet Seat Protectors, Covercraft Canine Pet Seat Covers for Dog Travel

Another option is to get rubber mats like those you see in the gym and lay them on the folded back seat.
You can use an old comforter/fleece blanket to cover the seat as well.
Giving your dog some chew toys can also distract him.

My puppy chihuahua like to digs as well .

Old 05-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I would suggest some obedience training for the dog. You shouldn't let him get away with this kind of destructive behavior, train him to ride nicely in the car, not go crazy. Did you know that dogs can actually be trained?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
I was also going to say when he starts digging just smack him on the ass. He'll learn after a few times. Dogs need to be trained.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
No, please don't smack your dog anywhere!! It will only confuse him and tell him that you will hurt him. You have to train your dog to do what you want him to do, which is stop digging and lie quietly in the car. He probably has anxiety which causes the digging and the chewing of the seat. Smacking him won't help with that and will give him negative connections with the car, which in some dogs might cause him to be so nervous he then starts peeing in the car.

You need to train him to get in and out of the car without digging or gnawing on the seats...small steps at a time, just let him get in the car and right back out, and give him a treat. After a few of those times, have him stay in the car a few seconds, sitting or lying down (does he "Sit" or "Down' on command?) and then back out, and treat. It will take some time to build up so he can sit there quietly and behave, and then you will have to start the car and let it run while he sits quietly. Then after he has that part down, you take him down the driveway, etc. always working one small step at a time and giving him a treat when he does it right.

Dogs that misbehave in a car are very obnoxious and dangerous, and that behavior is not normal for a dog, but you haven't trained him to do as you say in the car.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM
I just fold my seats up and have the rubber mats on the floor, no problems so far and I transport two (kinda) large dogs back there.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Train the dog end of story but don't hit her maybe use a cage i treat my dog for doing good with treats. Really i have a puppy as well but mine is 20pounds right now. She is a american bull/lab mix. And i would not let her do any of those things in my car. I also would suggets a blanket as a cover i think it works great in my CR

Last edited by 08fithappy; 05-18-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Train the dog end of story but don't hit her maybe use a cage
Thanks! I was just about to post that with a 10 lb dog they should just use a carrier.

And, yup, if the dog is showing these kinds of behaviours it is time for some training. I was thinking more along the lines of hair and dirty feet.