1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

ABS Module Failure

Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Exclamation ABS Module Failure

My 2007 Honda Fit Sport is 3 years, 2 months, and 2 weeks old with 38.6K miles on it so it is just out of warranty. A few days ago, the ABS and BRAKE lights came on and the D started flashing.

I brought it to my mechanic who wasn't able to figure out the problem and told me to take it to a dealership (he didn't charge me anything). I dropped it off at a dealership yesterday who took 4 hours to get to it, then another 3 hours to tell me the ABS module had failed and it would cost $1500 to replace. The service guy also said that it was somehow connected to the transmission, which is why the D light was blinking, and if i drove the car, it could "chew up the transmission." I wanted to pick up the car yesterday but i was told it was all apart and would not be put back together until today, forcing me to rent a car to get home from work last night.

I have used the paddle shifters exclusively for the entire time I've owned the car and didn't notice any change in the shifting since the light came on. Is the dealership being honest about the transmission being damaged? Does an ABS module really cost $1500, and how likely is it that the whole thing needs to be replaced? It just seems that a car this new should not have such a major malfunction already.

A quick reply is requested as hopefully i will be able to pick up the car today. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Always get a second opinion when spending a ton of money to fix anything. I don't see how your ABS system failing is going to kill your transmission, sounds like a load of crap.

I also don't know why you'd buy a AT vehicle only to "manually" shift it all the time but that's your choice.

Take your car somewhere else and don't tell them what the dealership said.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by .eL
Always get a second opinion when spending a ton of money to fix anything. I don't see how your ABS system failing is going to kill your transmission, sounds like a load of crap.

I also don't know why you'd buy a AT vehicle only to "manually" shift it all the time but that's your choice.

Take your car somewhere else and don't tell them what the dealership said.
Thanks for your reply.

This, unfortunately, IS the second opinion. And it does sound like crap. The actual price, however, is not; i found the ABS system in Honda's eStore and just the modulator is $1254, plus the mounts, and brackets and bolts, and there'd be labor on that

I got an AT because I don't know how to drive an MT .

The guy said he could reset the codes, then sell me an extended warranty and then the replacement would be covered under that warranty. My response to him was to reset the codes and give me my car back. I'm going to buy my own extended warranty, wait the 30 days for it to kick in, then take it some place else.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:52 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Was the first opinion from the guy who didn't know what was wrong? Can't hurt to try one more place. I know I'd definitely shop around before spending so much money especially since I cant see how the ABS unit is going to screw up your transmission.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Very interesting....
I was looking at the eStore page for the dealership i took the car to. I changed the dealership to another one and that part is only listed at $1045! The a third dealership has the part for $836!

Last edited by LizardKing; 06-11-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Looking for this? ABS module

Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by .eL
Looking for this? ABS module
I guess that's the part! Now i know i was being overcharged by at LEAST $400!

What does the flashing D mean though?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:02 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LizardKing
I guess that's the part! Now i know i was being overcharged by at LEAST $400!

What does the flashing D mean though?
As ghetto as that site looks, I've ordered from them with no problem but you might want to call them before ordering if you wind up using them.

A flashing gear indicator usually means a transmission related issue so I'm confused why he said it was related to your ABS light being on. Is your ABS working at all?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by .eL
As ghetto as that site looks, I've ordered from them with no problem but you might want to call them before ordering if you wind up using them.

A flashing gear indicator usually means a transmission related issue so I'm confused why he said it was related to your ABS light being on. Is your ABS working at all?
Can't test ABS, as its been dry and I've never gotten ABS to engage even on a wet road (snow, especially this past winter, yes, but never anything else).

The good news: Dealer called me and told me he was waiting for a call from Honda about assistance. Apparently, while he was on the phone with me, their response came back: I pay $200 plus the car rental (through Monday) and Honda covers the rest. I'll take that deal!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:09 PM
.eL
5 Year Member
If you want to see if it works, just go out on an empty road and slam the brakes. You'll know if it works real quick

Pretty sweet deal, how nice of them.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Considering you haven't been out of warranty for too long, I would complain to the service manager that such a major repair shouldn't occur that early in the life of a car.

If that doesn't work, try calling Honda Customer Service at 1-800-999-1009. Complain your way to the top.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Padraic
Considering you haven't been out of warranty for too long, I would complain to the service manager that such a major repair shouldn't occur that early in the life of a car.

If that doesn't work, try calling Honda Customer Service at 1-800-999-1009. Complain your way to the top.

Good luck!
Dealership beat me too it; how nice of them!