General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan tool that reads Fit ABS codes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Scan tool that reads Fit ABS codes?

Does anyone know of or have a scan tool that reads ABS codes of the Fit?

I have the BRAKE and ABS lights illuminated and recently failed safety inspection only because of the BRAKE light...they don't care about the ABS light. I've been driving this way over a year as brakes are fine I just don't have ABS.

A mechanic friend hooked up a SOLUS scanner which did not connect to the ABS module and suggested the module was bad as he believed it should have connected to a Honda module. I also tried an Innova 3160e which was supposed to support a Honda Fit ABS module and same result.

Before I go through the trouble of replacing the module and pump I just want to be sure that's the problem, and not an ABS wheel sensor.

Can anyone confirm a scan tool that has actually connected to the Honda Fit ABS module and read codes?

Old 10-20-2016, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Personally, I'd bite the bullet and take it to a Honda dealer, if ya trust them ....having the BRAKE and ABS light illuminated is something I'd personally take seriously - you say the brakes are just fine, you've been driving that way for a year, but, they may just "seem fine" until you really need them (emergency stopping situation) ....tires and brakes are the only things that're really gonna save yer butt when the shat hits the fan in an event. If you're comfortable driving that way, well, that's your prerogative, but....seriously, get it checked by someone who knows what they're looking at/for - those lights are there for a reason

Old 10-20-2016, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I've inspected the brake system -- no lines are leaking and fluid is full. All pads are in good condition, not that those would cause the light to come on.

I can lock up the brakes easily now. Mechanically, the brakes work the same as they always have, just without ABS, so I'm confident in the safety of my vehicle.

I believe the way the system is designed is that the ABS light alone would illuminate to show there's a fault in the ABS system -- i.e. defective ABS wheel sensor. However, since the ABS module is not communicating at all, the system is also throwing the BRAKE light.

After posting this thread, I found a UK company that works on the Jazz/Fit modules and stated that common problems are throwing the BRAKE and ABS lights, and not responding to scan tools. So that's another confirmation of what I believe to be wrong. I'd rather not pay a Honda dealer over $100 just to confirm what I'm almost certain is the problem.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Just came across a post by Doctor J that he used an Innova scanner to pull ABS codes from his Fit, so I know my module is dead.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
On older cars, you can put a paper clip to short the 2 pins of the service connector to get the codes.
Not sure if this works or not on the Fit...

Old 10-20-2016, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Tried this and did not work. At least not on mine where the ABS module is not communicating -- it might have worked on a working module to reveal the ABS codes.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
On newer Hondas, should be done like described in this article: How to pull ABS codes and engine codes and SRS codes [Archive] - 7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts

But do jump pins 4 and 9 from the OBDII connector, not 5 and 9!
That should pull codes for the engine, ABS and SRS (I even get EPS codes on my S2000 - not sure on the Fit).

Old 10-20-2016, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks I tried this awhile back. ABS doesn't flash, only the Electric Power Steering. Beeps two longs and two shorts. No idea what this means but I don't have any issues with the power steering.

Some odd numbers come up on the mileage indicator but no clue what those mean either. They don't seem to correlate with any ABS codes.

Attached Thumbnails Scan tool that reads Fit ABS codes?-20161020_165021.jpg