2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you been in an emergency situation where ABS saved you from having a collison?
Yes it helped
70.18%
No it made it worse
5.26%
Never been in one but I think ABS will save me
19.30%
Never been in one but I think ABS will not save me
5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Disable ABS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Disable ABS

..............Can I?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM
.......Why Would You?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by kingofpicklez
.......Why Would You?

cuz when i went through a mountain the other day i had abs activate and it cuased my car to slide left then it stopped that wheel from locking and my car shot to the left. it was hard to control hahahah

Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
why not? i found it quicker to stop without it, especially on packed snow.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:01 PM
in normal conditions you can NEVER stop faster than ABS...

Old 12-15-2009, 04:16 PM
yeah. ABS is just too unpredictable. All ABS system advertise themselves to give you turning control while stopping....they never tell you that you can stop shorter in a straight line.

But for the sake of the real world, who drives on lanes with no cars beside them? Like I can turn anywhere I like in an emergency......

I've read somewhere that tapping the brake will disable the ABS...but that doesn't work. I think what they meant is tapping the brake will dampen the effect of ABS.....

I actually stop quicker without ABS in my other Civic on ice........

Old 12-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by wskwong
yeah. ABS is just too unpredictable. All ABS system advertise themselves to give you turning control while stopping....they never tell you that you can stop shorter in a straight line.

But for the sake of the real world, who drives on lanes with no cars beside them? Like I can turn anywhere I like in an emergency......

I've read somewhere that tapping the brake will disable the ABS...but that doesn't work. I think what they meant is tapping the brake will dampen the effect of ABS.....

I actually stop quicker without ABS in my other Civic on ice........

in a staight line you cant beat abs i have found that out, but when the wheel is slightly turned abs sucks....

Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
If you disable it and get into an accident you'll have a problem with insurance.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
If you disable it and get into an accident you'll have a problem with insurance.
Not if it is bad enuf. His Estate might though.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Dumb idea. ABS allows you to maintain control while panic braking. In theory, allowing you to 'pick your target'. I consider myself a safe and proficient driver, but there's been times when I've forget about lockup and just slammed on the brakes hoping to stop in a reflex situation.

Pull the fuse - best way to disable it. But I'll warn you, I guarantee you'll need to use it when you least expect it.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by FITProject
Dumb idea. ABS allows you to maintain control while panic braking. In theory, allowing you to 'pick your target'. I consider myself a safe and proficient driver, but there's been times when I've forget about lockup and just slammed on the brakes hoping to stop in a reflex situation.

Pull the fuse - best way to disable it. But I'll warn you, I guarantee you'll need to use it when you least expect it.

well ya i kno ill need it for daily driving but im down for getting read of it on the track and on the mountains

Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Granted, ABS is more critical on a motorcycle than on a car, but this is very persuasive. Internet BMW Riders - No Fault Braking, A Real-World Comparison of ABS Systems. Note that this testing was done 17 years ago, and ABS systems have progressed greatly since then.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wskwong
why not? i found it quicker to stop without it, especially on packed snow.
This is one such circumstance where ABS is a reported disadvantage. ABS doesn't allow a cushion of snow to build up in front of the decelerating tire - said cushion shortens stopping distances. You can research this further.

Anyhow to share my experience...my GD1 has never had ABS since day 1. No ABS is fine BUT you have to put in the effort to be really, really familiar with the characteristics of your braking system IMO - especially how much force you can put on the pedal before you get to lockup. Practicing threshold braking and brake modulation like this is best done on a racetrack.

Most people aren't up to the task and just want to drive, so ABS is generally a good idea for road use.

Before I had track experience, I found I could easily lock up my brakes, especially on the stock rubber.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
The other day we had a few inches of snow, and I discovered I could slide the Fit sideways while braking and lose control long before the ABS even realized I was sliding. On snow, I'm, not so sure I like the ABS, as I prefer to do my own brake modulation and the ABS interferes with this. It's hard to unlearn 40 years of experience driving in winter without ABS.

I certainly can see the use on wet or dry roads, but I'm not completely sold on ABS on snow and ice.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 12-16-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 AM
As mentioned, there are a couple situations where wheel lockup can produce shorter stops than ABS stops. In most others situations, ABS is by far your best bet to avoid wheel lockup AND have shorter stopping distances. I have track and autocrossing experience in ABS and non ABS equipped cars. I'm pretty good at threshold braking on a course, but I've still been in unexpected panic situations on the road where my instinct/reaction is to stomp the brakes. So even if you know and have practiced the correct technique, it's totally different when it is a panic situation. This can be seen with professional drivers in a racing situation as well when you see 4 black streaks heading into the wall where a crash occurred. They weren't threshold braking at that point. One other point is that ABS can do something a driver can't: modulate for maximum braking force at all 4 wheels (assuming a 4-channel ABS system) independently to maximize available grip.

ABS has very little to offer in sideways sliding scenarios. The system that would try to assist with that is yaw/traction/stability control. ABS will attempt to let the wheels continue to turn, thus theoretically preserving grip, but if the lateral force is higher than the friction between tire and surface, the tire will slip whether it's rotating or not.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 AM
anyhow, I would assume it's not possible then.

'cause I took the fuse out for ABS and it took away the power steering as well, which I want....

Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
I see the Darwin theory still applies.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by kingofpicklez
.......Why Would You?
track event, autocross, etc.
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
cuz when i went through a mountain the other day i had abs activate and it cuased my car to slide left then it stopped that wheel from locking and my car shot to the left. it was hard to control hahahah
Not a good reason to turn it off. If you caused ABS to turn while driving on a public road you're doing it wrong.
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
in normal conditions you can NEVER stop faster than ABS...
Like as in a situation where you are jamming on your breaks in a straight line in order to avoid rear ending someone on a dry surface? I might give you that case. There are plenty of cases where the driver can outperform ABS.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 PM
So theoretically a human can only outperform ABS on snow or sand. But he still needs to pump his brake in a panic situation right? And even then he could still lose control over his car.

And can a human apply individual brakes to each wheels or sense when and wich wheel is locked?

I just refuse to believe that people claim that they can brake better then ABS in any condition. Even the most experienced drivers in the world. ABS was banned in formula 1 about 20 years ago for a reason.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
So theoretically a human can only outperform ABS on snow or sand. But he still needs to pump his brake in a panic situation right? And even then he could still lose control over his car.

And can a human apply individual brakes to each wheels or sense when and wich wheel is locked?

I just refuse to believe that people claim that they can brake better then ABS in any condition. Even the most experienced drivers in the world. ABS was banned in formula 1 about 20 years ago for a reason.
No, you're kind of missing the point. If you apply brakes to hard, abs will kick on and actually extend your breaking distance over what it would have been if you were able to break exactly at the correct breaking threshold. I'm no professional and ABS would probably help me, however, if you come to a corner, brake real hard, and avoid ABS, you'll make your turn. If you do the same but ABS kicks on, your best bet is to get the thought of turning out of your head real quick, and continue in a straight line (go off the track in a straight line if you have to). Once you've slowed down enough to safely make the turn, complete your turn. This is what they teach you on the track.

All that said, this is all irrelevant on the street where 99.9% of people are amateurs. As I said before, if you've caused ABS to come on, you're doing something wrong or unsafe to begin with (ie, going to fast on snow or ice, you're about to rear-end someone, etc).

You wouldn't pump your brakes in a panic situation if ABS has engaged. The point of pumping your breaks on snow or ice, etc is this; if you've applied breaks to hard and ABS has kicked on, you're wheels have already stopped rolling and won't start again due to the lack of friction with the road surface. Thus, your ABS will continue to inhibit your ability to stop (it keeps applying and reliving pressure to the hydraulic lines) if you've got the brake mashed to the floor. You take your foot off the break to disengage ABS, and attempt to apply braking with the correct threshold to properly slow your car down.

Again, ABS/braking, throttle, and steering inputs are all taught to you with the words, 'Modulation', 'easy on/easy off', 'unwind'. This is the complete opposite of Mash on, fully off. If your inputs to any of these are not smooth and deliberate, you're not driving correctly or as fast as you can. The point again being, when it comes to braking, you should not ever have to apply the brake to the point that ABS comes on. If you get right to the edge and brake as hard as possible such that it doesn't kick on, you are breaking in the shortest amount of distance possible. If you brake any harder, you are going to skid and stop in a longer distance. It's in this case that ABS comes to the rescue, stops you from skidding, and slows you down faster than you could have in an emergency situation where human nature would cause you to skid and miss the perfect braking threshold.

Quick Reply: Disable ABS