2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you been in an emergency situation where ABS saved you from having a collison?
Yes it helped
70.18%
No it made it worse
5.26%
Never been in one but I think ABS will save me
19.30%
Never been in one but I think ABS will not save me
5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Disable ABS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
ok how about i wish i had a way to turn off abs when i wanted?
damn i didnt ask the question i just wanted to bring up the fact that abs on this car isnt the best it could be, and people think its some kinda gods aid when it actually could make more things dangerous
I'm not going to lie, it just sounds like you've never experienced understeer before. Abs isn't designed to correct understeer. If you take a turn too fast in a FIT it will plow, ABS or not.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I'm not going to lie, it just sounds like you've never experienced understeer before. Abs isn't designed to correct understeer. If you take a turn too fast in a FIT it will plow, ABS or not.
Really if you take a turn too fast in ANY CAR it will plow, ABS or not. That's not what ABS is for. That's what VSA is for.

Once you've started to spin, you are already beyond the reach of any ABS system. Disabling ABS will not solve the problem.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:36 PM
I really appreciate everyone's feedback on my original question "Can I disable ABS?"

It's a question that comes about after practiced stopping on snow/ice in my fit and in my other Civic (without ABS), and I actually prefer to do without.

With all these arguments for pros and cons, I am not sure people have actually have experience where ABS did save their life in an emergency. May be i should start a poll on this.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]

no i drove 2 240sx those are known for understeer i am just saying i pressed the brakes and they locked up. when they unlocked it made conditions even worse.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by wskwong
I really appreciate everyone's feedback on my original question "Can I disable ABS?"

It's a question that comes about after practiced stopping on snow/ice in my fit and in my other Civic (without ABS), and I actually prefer to do without.

With all these arguments for pros and cons, I am not sure people have actually have experience where ABS did save their life in an emergency. May be i should start a poll on this.
on a dry street abs has helped me but it sounds funny when it does. i just wish there was a way to turn it off when wanted

Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Disable ABS

I'm not 100% sure this will work but you might be able to disable it by disconnecting one (or more?) of the ABS sensors -- if it can't tell the wheel speed, it can't do anything. On my last Honda, one of the ABS sensors went bad, which disabled the system.

The sensors have 2 wires with an orange plug. I think the connectors for the rear sensors are inside the car, so those would probably the ones I'd disconnect. Somebody with a service manual could probably give you the locations...

You need to avoid anything with a yellow connector; that's used for the SRS systems...

Last edited by clicq; 12-18-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I really didn't realize how well ABS worked until I found myself headed for a curb when I had gotten into a left turn lane short of the one I wanted to enter on dark rainy night... It was a situation where I panicked steering to the left, slamming on the brakes having already resigned myself that I was going to be needing a wrecker after I ripped the whole front end out from under my GMC Safari.... I felt the pedal shudder and the van did not slide at all and rounded the turn safely.... That is when I became a believer.... I have only activated the ABS on my Fit once unexpectedly to avoid a collision and did and on two other times on purpose while pulling onto a gravel shoulder to see what would happen... It went where I pointed it without sliding and stopped far shorter than I could imagine..... I have much lighter than stock wheels and tires now and stopping requires very little pressure on the pedal to stop quickly.... I haven't been in a panic situation that has activated the ABS since making the change.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by fmcfad01
Dude, you are still missing the point. If ABS had kicked on, you're driving incorrectly. If you've caused ABS to activate, your stopping distance is greater than if you had applied brakes exactly right. ABS basically flutters hydraulic fluid to the brakes, in a sense quickly applying and releasing them, as you said at a high rate. Note, the brakes are turning on and OFF. If you apply brakes correctly at their very limit, they are always ON and you will stop faster. There should be zero cases when you are flying around the track activating ABS on every corner. If you are doing that, you will be beaten around the course by a driver who is able to properly modulate his brakes. The reason is you are entering the turn to fast, braking too late, slowing down over a greater distance, missing your apexes, losing too much speed, and exiting the corner slower.

If you are activating ABS on the street or the Track, you are doing it wrong. You can argue that no one is a good enough driver to brake at the correct threshold required to beat ABS to a complete stop. You can not argue that the activation of ABS is due to poor driving technique or will decrease your braking distance.

The only time it 'decreases' your braking distance is if you've already lost control. The point is, you shouldn't be losing control. You should always be in control.
No dude, you still don't get it. What you say is only true if:

1) You car is corner balanced
2) the pavement is perfectly planar
3) there are no pavement irregularities of any kind
4) The default brake force distribution (F/R) is perfectly matched to your tires and traction condition.

Basically... what you are saying is never true, not even on a track (yes, I go to the track, but not with the Fit... that would be silly.)

You can easily have variations of 10-20% in the amount of traction available based on dynamic loading changes. ABS can get all of that traction because it is able to modulate each brake individually. Without ABS, brake force distribution is DUMB.

The fastest stop is when you push the pedal hard enough that exactly one wheel is at impending lockup and the other three are being modulated by the ABS/EBD. In practice, that never happens, since traction changes many times a second requiring constant adjustment. ABS/EBD gives you this.

Q.E.D.

P.S. I'm not saying you want to drive to activate the ABS on the track: You always want to leave something on the table... unless you like going off the track a lot. However, if you want to produce the shortest stopping distance, then you want to stomp the ABS. Just ask magazine testers, who know this very well.

Last edited by DrPhyzx; 12-19-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I really didn't realize how well ABS worked until I found myself headed for a curb when I had gotten into a left turn lane short of the one I wanted to enter on dark rainy night...
I agree with you. It does work quite well in rain on concrete......

but when it comes to snow or ice, that's another story....

Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM
ABS has helped keep control of my car(s) many, many, many times. I learned how to drive on a couple different cars without it, and my road/driveway growing up was a downhill dirt road, with my driveway a turn halfway down. And unless we got more than 5 or 6 inches of snow, it didn't get plowed. Anyway, without ABS you quickly learned to threshold brake . . . locking the wheels was fine for stopping (building up a nice pile of snow in front of the tires), but 2 out of 3 times you ended up in the ditch since with the wheels locked you've got no steering control.

ABS might not "feel" like it's helping, but trust me (and every other review in the world) - it keeps you in control of what direction you're going, and 9 times out of 10, stops you faster in inclement weather. Like others have mentioned in this thread, the ability to threshold brake different wheels with different levels of traction is something that no driver can do on their own.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
ok how about i wish i had a way to turn off abs when i wanted?
damn i didnt ask the question i just wanted to bring up the fact that abs on this car isnt the best it could be, and people think its some kinda gods aid when it actually could make more things dangerous
Sometimes not wearing your seatbelt allows you to be 'thrown clear', but usually that isn't how it goes.
The race isn't always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that is how the smart money bets.
While there may be individual circumstances that work to the advantage of non-ABS (stopping my Jeep on a gravel road; there's been talk about selectable ABS for offroad vehicles, unhappily in conjunction with low range), as a usual thing you're better served with it. Personal experience on snow/ice and rain has further convinced me of this.
I'll take my chances with ABS and seat belts.
BTW, better get used to safety equipment, dictated either by Gummint fiat or litigation; it's here to stay. You'll note that a lot of stability control programs can't be completely turned off.
Moon
ETA- Some road testers at C/D wrecked an ABS Audi years ago, assuming that antilock would somehow negate the laws of physics. Neither ABS nor 'skillful' driving can achieve this...
Also, a stab at the brakes on an icy road is a way to check available traction without totally upsetting vehicle balance. My grandfather groundlooped a Model A on Whitehorse Mountain with a similar brake stab ('It's not slippery, Myrtle...watch this.')...the A-bone, of course, didn't have ABS.
M

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 12-19-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
The old pre power brake sports cars like Healeys Triumph MG and such could be modulated much more accurately than later model cars with power brakes....Heel toe driving was also easy.... The long travel and stiffness of the pedals was the reason..... The crap pedals with no feeling of resistance but an immediate response from very little pressure and movement is just silly.... Reducing vacuum to the brake booster would allow more accurate modulation and the ABS would work the same way which is when you have applied enough pressure to lock a wheel and create a slide.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
The best thing about ABS is that you can steer. That's what saved me topping a snowy hill to see a stalled car ahead of me. That was in my '03 TL. My Fit with VSA just pretty much goes where you point it.

Cheers.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm new to the forum

Hey everyone, what's up? My name is Matt and I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to say hey.. I hope I posted this in the right section.. if not, mods please feel free to move it.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:38 PM
What kind of noise is ABS suppose to make when it activates?

I heard some kind of noise as if a spring was being pulled apart two times when I hit the brakes very hard. Can't really describe the sound but the spring is the best way I could describe it. Is it suppose to sound like this?

Old 12-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by wilcoholic
What kind of noise is ABS suppose to make when it activates?

I heard some kind of noise as if a spring was being pulled apart two times when I hit the brakes very hard. Can't really describe the sound but the spring is the best way I could describe it. Is it suppose to sound like this?

mine kinda sounds like a grinding but with a low tone

Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
im one of the few(?) that prefer non-abs on my cars especially when they over-react like the system on the Fit's.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
Really if you take a turn too fast in ANY CAR it will plow, ABS or not. That's not what ABS is for. That's what VSA is for.

Once you've started to spin, you are already beyond the reach of any ABS system. Disabling ABS will not solve the problem.

Huh? Thats exactly what I was saying!?

Rear wheel drive vehicles usually fishtail instead of plow. (Although my tBird has both understeered (plowed) and oversteered (fishtailed) depending on conditions.)

Old 12-20-2009, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
im one of the few(?) that prefer non-abs on my cars especially when they over-react like the system on the Fit's.
Describe over-react.... Mine have activated once to avoid an accident and two other occasions when I activated them on purpose to check the function....That is the only times since July 2006.... I have over 100,000 miles on my van and have activated the ABS twice since 1997... I wasn't hot on ABS either until I avoided two accidents that one would have fatal and one that would have been costly on the van, and wouldn't have if not for the ABS.... I generally do not get into situations that I can't get out of with out activating the ABS but the times that they were activated and needed I was amazed and very pleased that they worked like they are supposed to.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
This reminds me of an old quote I heard once: "better brakes alone would not reduce accidents" It had something to do with human nature and how if people knew they had better brakes they would just drive more unsafely and closer to the person in front of them: negating the vast majority of the benefit the brakes provided.

Quick Reply: Disable ABS