1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

oxygen sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
oxygen sensor

Anyone out there had trouble with their Fit oxygen sensor? This is my story.......
In April 2009 I took my 2007 Fit to a dealer to have the oxygen sensor replaced under a recall. Everything fine until this month when my check engine light came on. Took it to the same dealer; they said it's $100 to run a diagnostic, on top of whatever repair the car needed. After agreeing and the diagnostic check, dealer said it's the oxygen sensor. They said the April 2009 sensor was out of warranty, which was 12 months/12,000 miles. The car was also just out of warranty; it had expired May 2010. I asked how often should a person expect to need a new oxygen sensor; the repair guy said "maybe once during the lifetime of a car". He also said that a new oxygen sensor would cost $390, on top of the $100 diagnostic fee! I got pretty irate; he said he'd talk to his service manager. Four days later he called & said there's nothing they can do. I replied that I would talk with Honda. Four hours later the service manager called me & said that she talked to Honda America & they would go ahead & replace the sensor.
Has anyone else had issues with this? Even tho they went ahead with the repair, I'm still nervous; my car has only 26K on it & now has it's 3rd oxygen sensor; can't help but wonder how long this new one will last. Seems to me there is a problem with these sensors!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
You can get a free 'diagnostic' check at any Autozone. Or you can get a Scangauge/OBDII reader and see what your CEL/MIL light means for yourself. Your dealership was charging you $100 to plug in a device and see what letters and numbers pop up.

I replaced my primary O2 sensor not too long ago because I wasn't sure if it was faulty due to my low MPG problems. The O2 sensor for the Fit is <$200 at any reputable online Honda parts store like BernardiParts (Honda SENSOR, AIR FUEL RATIO - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories). It does not cost $390.

I actually got my replacement (OEM Denso, not aftermarket) off Amazon for something like $160 shipped. You need to cross reference the parts numbers and make sure you get the right one though - I can't remember the exact part # and don't think I have it on me anymore.

If you have a jack & stands, you can rent out an O2 sensor wrench from Autozone for free and swap in the new O2 sensor in less than 30 min if you know what you're doing.

Don't go to your dealership anymore, they were trying to rob you to the bank.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 AM
o2 sensor

thanks for the advice - suspected the dealer was trying to rip me off!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by maryb2119
Anyone out there had trouble with their Fit oxygen sensor? This is my story.......
In April 2009 I took my 2007 Fit to a dealer to have the oxygen sensor replaced under a recall. Everything fine until this month when my check engine light came on. Took it to the same dealer; they said it's $100 to run a diagnostic, on top of whatever repair the car needed. After agreeing and the diagnostic check, dealer said it's the oxygen sensor. They said the April 2009 sensor was out of warranty, which was 12 months/12,000 miles. The car was also just out of warranty; it had expired May 2010. I asked how often should a person expect to need a new oxygen sensor; the repair guy said "maybe once during the lifetime of a car". He also said that a new oxygen sensor would cost $390, on top of the $100 diagnostic fee! I got pretty irate; he said he'd talk to his service manager. Four days later he called & said there's nothing they can do. I replied that I would talk with Honda. Four hours later the service manager called me & said that she talked to Honda America & they would go ahead & replace the sensor.
Has anyone else had issues with this? Even tho they went ahead with the repair, I'm still nervous; my car has only 26K on it & now has it's 3rd oxygen sensor; can't help but wonder how long this new one will last. Seems to me there is a problem with these sensors!

Far as I know anything connected with emissions MUST be warranted by the manufacturer for the first 50,000 miles unless abuse or tampering is proven.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Far as I know anything connected with emissions MUST be warranted by the manufacturer for the first 50,000 miles unless abuse or tampering is proven.
Excellent point.

As I remember that was specifically noted during sale and the literature pack I got had info specific to the emission warranty items.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
The O2 sensor should not go out that often; check the wiring coinnection