1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Advice for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Advice for newbie

Hi all. New to Honda, the Fit, and this forum.

In the process of purchasing a Honda Certified 2007 Fit Sport 5 speed auto
and would appreciate feedback on particulars to watch out
for or be aware of!

I am sure I will learn much by reading and participating here - just
looking for some pointers to get started....

Old 08-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Check the paint on the fron bumper/hood. The paint quality is horrible. If its in good shape, get it protected with the clear bra. If not have the dealer repaint it as part of the deal and then protect it.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:29 PM
i also bought a honda certified fit and everything was great until i found out that my battery was dead the very next day. i was reading about this problem and people said that honda turns the car on often to move it around and the battery gets drained by that.

idk how you can check the battery life, but just a little heads up! xDD

Old 08-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Welcome to fitfreak.net. Test drive it, while on it check the brakes, check the oil level and check for any leaks, check if there's vibrations on highways speeds and if there are vibrations. Have the dealer check the alignment and have them fix it.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
front brakes are a problem...I've gotten mine replaced twice under waranty...though I got the 16" accessory wheels from day one.
A/C condenser gets blown out by highway dirt and debit...I had to pay for that one! ($600 to $700) replaced it once...gona have to do it again soon. Some people here have put screens on the front of their cars to catch the rocks and protect the condenser/radiator. I (we) should probably all do that.
There were two recalls on that car. One for wiring under the front passenger mat and one for the driver's side window buttons. Make sure they have been accomplished.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
A couple of other things to check for -

Blown speaker - a couple of us have replaced the stock speakers
No error codes on the electric power steering - some of these have failed
No stutter at speed - due to failing spark coils

Drive it around the parking lot and make sure the power steering works - check the dash for any lit idiot lights. Take it for a test drive on a highway - turn up the stereo (speakers) and change speed to see if there's any stutter under light or heavy acceleration.

Do a start from cold and from hot. Sometimes a failing power steering unit will temporarily clear itself intermittently before failing hard.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 PM
I appreciate all of the replies!

I have taken the car on two test drives, the second one was
longer and involved freeway driving. I also had the dealer put the
car up on the hoist so I could inspect the underbody.
They are taking care of a number of things that were "missed" in the
150 pt inspection to satisfy me before taking delivery.

Check the paint on the fron bumper/hood.
They are repainting both the front and rear bumper covers to correct
flaws, and the rest of the paint looks good so that should not be an issue.

idk how you can check the battery life, but just a little heads up
This Fit has just over 30k miles, and according to the warranty repair history, the battery was replaced about 23k miles, so hopefully it should be good to go for awhile.

while on it check the brakes, check the oil level and check for any leaks, check if there's vibrations on highways speeds and if there are vibrations. Have the dealer check the alignment and have them fix it.
The brake pads were replaced with the Certification inspection, and stop the car smooth, straight, and strong. The oil is clean, with no leaks, and there are no vibrations at freeway speeds. New tires were just installed, and a 4 wheel alignment was also performed.

A/C condenser gets blown out by highway dirt and debit..
Thanks for the heads up on that!

There were two recalls on that car. One for wiring under the front passenger mat and one for the driver's side window buttons. Make sure they have been accomplished.
The recall for the window switches has been performed, but I don't think the wiring recall has been done. Did that affect all 2007 Fits, or just a certain range?

Blown speaker - a couple of us have replaced the stock speakers
No error codes on the electric power steering - some of these have failed
No stutter at speed - due to failing spark coils
The speakers seem fine, there are no warning lights lit on the dash although I am not sure if the codes have been pulled, and the power steering seems to work ok.

If anyone has anymore suggestions about weak spots specific to
this year Fit, I would greatly appreciate and am all ears!

From what I can tell, the 2007 Fit Sport didn't come from the factory with floormats or a cargo cover? Are these extra cost accessories?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CetaceousOne
From what I can tell, the 2007 Fit Sport didn't come from the factory with floormats or a cargo cover? Are these extra cost accessories?
Yes, I recommend going all weather. I got the Honda ones but I think weathertech came out with a new all weather mat for the Fit that's much better (deeper, fits flush).

Old 08-26-2010, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CetaceousOne
The recall for the window switches has been performed, but I don't think the wiring recall has been done. Did that affect all 2007 Fits, or just a certain range?
Now that you mention it, I remember now that the other recall was on cars that are opperated in a snow environment, were the roads are salted. the wet passenger's wet feet would short the wires under there. I had all wether mats and mine were not corroded at time of the recall. AZ does not have that problem, unless you are on the north side of the Grand Canion.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 PM
CetaceousOne Welcome to the forum, you've got a ton of good pointers. When do you make the deal__?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 PM
unless you are on the north side of the Grand Canion.
I live in Phoenix, so definitely no snow here!

CetaceousOne Welcome to the forum, you've got a ton of good pointers. When do you make the deal__?
Thanks! I am anticipating that I will finalize the deal tomorrow, pending
the completion of the work on the car. We will see what happens....