1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Electrical problems / Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Electrical problems / Alternator

Ok guys I need your help!

My headlights, foot lights, dash lighting continues to flicker. I have been doing a lot of work to stop this from happening. I replaced the stock battery. 65000 was long enouph for that tiny thing. Checked the grounds. And now im looking for a short in my amp wiring. Everything has fuses and none are blown.

I had auto zone check the voltage and they are saying the alternator is fine I must be drawing to much power.

Which brings me to my dilemma....

I have many accessory's HID's, amp, foot leds, led dome light, led trunk light, capacitor other things im probably forgetting.

What path should i take -
after market H/O alternator and fab up a bracket
get my alternator rewired and made into an H/O

or buy another honda alt that fits

What have you guys done. Please help

Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Question Shortage

Try turning off your amp and cap, then disconnect the lead at the amp's end connector,( don't turn on your stereo ) then see what happens. If it continues then it's a good possibility that's it's probably not what's causing the shortage.

Wow! hope someone with some serious electrical knowledge chimes in here to help you out.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
:\ No one has gone with an aftermarket alternator or anything?

My dad found a rebuilt stock one with a warranty. Have to get the link but it's pushing out 160amps and the stocker is only 75amps.... $300 though.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Are they flickering or dimming? Turn everything on and test voltage. If voltage is normal, could it be due to headlight recall with faulty wires? Assuming all is hooked to battery?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 PM
H/o alternator is probably what you need. Test it with everything on_ hid, led, and bump system. Hook tester to battery. Should read no less than 12. If less upgrade alternator. $300 is high, but not that bad. Also consider running a separate battery for accesories?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
I think DiamondStarMonsters is having a discussion in the other thread here about batteries and posted something up regarding his electrical system as well.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...stall-51r.html

b/c of all the equipment he is running (boost, pumps, etc.) he did some stuff to help resolve and he posted some of it on the 2nd page.

If removing the cap and amp don't do anything for you, you might need to start on some of the things DSM posted on like ground wires using a lower gauge, fittings, etc.

sorry i can't help you more, maybe someone else with the high end audio stuff or mad accesssories could chime in?

g'luck

Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
I had the same problem. The problem was the alternator's internal voltage regulator. The dealer at first could not "duplicate the problem" as usual. But after keeping it for a day and driving it they found it and replaced the alternator under (extended) warranty.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Did the replacement stock alternator work out for you?

I would say it was the regulator as well, and would also be able to duplicate the problem because it's gotten so bad it's constant. If they put another stock one in it's just going to happen again... the stock alt only puts out 75amps. The rebuilt one I found puts out 160 amps.

Link here.... Honda Fit High Output Alternators

Think im ordering today.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ciggy
Did the replacement stock alternator work out for you?

I would say it was the regulator as well, and would also be able to duplicate the problem because it's gotten so bad it's constant. If they put another stock one in it's just going to happen again... the stock alt only puts out 75amps. The rebuilt one I found puts out 160 amps.

Link here.... Honda Fit High Output Alternators

Think im ordering today.
If the price is comparable, and it comes with a warranty, go with the bigger alternator if you have further plans for modifications and accessories in the future.

You will be able to get away with more on your stock wiring and battery if you have a larger capacity alternator to help carry the load.

Sometimes it is just the regulator, but in your situation this is a time when I would be thinking about making an upgrade.

Alter Start is another group that remanufactures rewinds and fits different size pulleys. They warranteed my 150A unit for 2 years.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-09-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
If the price is comparable, and it comes with a warranty, go with the bigger alternator if you have further plans for modifications and accessories in the future.

You will be able to get away with more on your stock wiring and battery if you have a larger capacity alternator to help carry the load.

Sometimes it is just the regulator, but in your situation this is a time when I would be thinking about making an upgrade.

Alter Start is another group that remanufactures rewinds and fits different size pulleys. They warranteed my 150A unit for 2 years.
Have any comments on the site I linked to?

160 amp rebuilt alternator for the fit.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ciggy
Have any comments on the site I linked to?

160 amp rebuilt alternator for the fit.
I have not dealt with them or heard anything good or bad about them.. so I would say if you call them up and like how they treat you and answer questions give them a shot. If they will warranty their work, pick up the phones and the price is comparable to an OE replacement, I would give them a shot.

Just keep all receipts and paper work, take notes of any phone calls and keep any email exchanges like you would with other parts.

That is how the guys at Alter Start treated me, and the price was actually cheaper than OE replacement for my Laser so I bought it and haven't had an issue with it.

I have not been especially nice to it either. So my experience with rewound/reman'd alternators has been good.

Mine has several thousand miles of abuse with high load, big lopey cams and very high rpm 8-9k rpm. Sometimes through every gear for an entire evening. I have even spilled a little power steering fluid on it a couple times when I changed out the cooler, pump and went through 3 steering racks before finding one I was happy with.

To make things tougher I have an external wastegate dump pipe (it does have thermal wrap but still) about 5-6" away from the alternator and my exhaust downpipe runs next to it as well with no issues.

In spite of all that, it has put up with my needs, which should be a good deal more than what most FF members will put an alternator through.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Good to know a rebuild can take a beating.

Think im going to go with these guys depending on our conversation tomorrow. Assuming they are closed today.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Ordered the alt. $295 free shipping 1 year warranty

I'll fill those who are interested in when I receive the part.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Should get my new h/o alt today. Anyone know the best way to go about the install? Any DIYs? Searching FF now.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Ok guys im going to keep this thread going so that others that have this problem in the future can find the instructions in this thread.

I found a manual online by searching fit freak. Located here:
Charging System

Then alternator
Alternator Overhaul

Picture don't work but it's some instruction.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
The car is fixed the new alt is in.

Purchased the high output alt from here: Honda Fit High Output Alternators

Had to buy a pulley belt about an inch and half smaller then stock for those who go with this alternator. STOCK WILL BE TO BIG

Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  DSCN1379.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  98.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1377.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  59.7 KB

Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
looks like a good fit.

you notice any changes in your car? hesitation, flicker, etc. change any or still the same?

give it a couple days if you haven't and let us know.

hopefully this helped solve some of your concerns.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
hesitation went away. Flicker went away. Running GREAT!

Broke tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! alternator is screaming! parked the car and left it going back in the morning checking the belt then maybe driving it home... dont want to hurt anything calling the company first.... It's not the belt definitely coming from the alt. Like a grinding noise...

Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Stock one is back in and back to the same old flickering and loss of power.

Sending this one back to be replaced or rebuilt. Im going to over night it tomorrow costing me another small fortune.

Keeping you guys updated hopefully ill help someone else along the line!

Quick Reply: Electrical problems / Alternator