1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

ebay black housing headlights

Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 PM
ebay black housing headlights

sup folks, i did a search but didnt find anything
thinking about getting ebay black headlights since i dont want to go through splitting up the lights myself
any reviews? i cant find any negative or positives...

Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1036GD3
sup folks, i did a search but didnt find anything
thinking about getting ebay black headlights since i dont want to go through splitting up the lights myself
any reviews? i cant find any negative or positives...
Maybe this is what your looking for......Family Car - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - 2007 Honda Fit Headlight

Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure what search criteria you used on ebay but...

2007 2008 Honda Fit Headlight Headlamp Pair NEW

and...

another one

and so on. I searched "honda fit headlight". Hope that helps...

Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 PM
i just read my post and its confusing... apologies.

i dont want to bake my headlights so i am looking to buy new but i dont know if the ones found on ebay are worth it, in terms of quality and such

i tried to search for ebay headlights on FF but didnt find any. i would like to know if the quality of the ebay ones are good

Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1036GD3
i just read my post and its confusing... apologies.

i dont want to bake my headlights so i am looking to buy new but i dont know if the ones found on ebay are worth it, in terms of quality and such

i tried to search for ebay headlights on FF but didnt find any. i would like to know if the quality of the ebay ones are good

I see. Well, I did the old bake and prep/paint method and it's easier than you might think, and easier on the wallet too. But if you don't want to put the effort in, I'd say the ones are ebay are either parted out from wrecked fits and thus OEM (just make sure they aren't damaged/scratched) or they are new aftermarket replacement - the ones in the links I provided state they have a 3 year warranty, so I think if they had leaks or defects, etc. they'd show up well before that period was up.

DON'T buy any aftermarket housing with halos, LEDs, or that bling - more often then not they are of inferior quality/fitment and there are several sellers on ebay that are marketing them for the 07-08 GD3 Fits when they are actually meant for the GE8s (09-10) or they only fit the JDM/EDM Fit/Jazz. I know this because I had a completely idiotic exchange via email with one of the sellers who basically said "buy them, if you don't think they fit, send them back for full refund" and didn't bother to talk about the ungodly restocking fee. I didn't fall for it obviously, I even sent the seller emails with comparison photos/info - but they're just out to make a quick buck.

I wouldn't object to go the ebay route for OEM/aftermarket OEM housings especially because pricing seems to have dropped since the black headlight demand has dropped with the GE8 release. In fact I may pick up a set because there are tiny imperfections in my paint job that bug me from time to time.

Long story short, if you buy smart, from a seller who will take the time to answer your questions and has a positive feedback reputation you should be fine. Look for a good warranty/guarantee to CYA.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Check my link above in my earlier post. same thing as those on Ebay but cheaper.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 PM
@aprils, thanks for the response. you didnt find that the separating the glue was a PITA? i think i did it 10 yrs ago on my si and dont remember it being pleasant.

@TC: do you know anything about the quality of that brand?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Just recently on another thread somebody said that all of the black after market headlights were made by the same manufacturer and that they would fog up inside because they aren't sealed as well as OEM headlights... I would think that any good silicone rubber adhesive sealant like GE Translucent RTV 108 would take care of that.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
I had some sealant handy but only needed it for where I had began to wedge it open - otherwise the factory sealant kept well and it's been nearly 3 years and no moisture problems, leaks, etc. I live in Florida - rain/sunshine state It took about 30 minutes in the oven for each housing, set to the lowest "warm" temperature. In hindsight, investing in a heatgun would have made things easier I think but it really wasn't that bad once you started to pry it open. And sealing it back up was pretty much the same, heat it up again and sandwich everything together and let it cool. Do it right and it'll probably take you about 12 hours - that's because you should clean, prep, sand, prime, sand, and then paint for each unit. So - the task isn't difficult per se, it's just tedious.

Texas Coyote's link will set you back $275 shipped. I browsed ebay again and here's another auction, buy it now for 235.50. Seems like the best deal so far, and they're brand new with warrantee.

Can't vouch first hand for quality. If you're really concerned about that and don't opt to DIY blackout, then you might as well cough up the dough and get OEM honda ones to be sure.

good luck!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
You can't beat $235.50... I hate bidding on Ebay.... I had the winning bid for 5 days and not one bid until 2 hours before bidding on the item closed and the amount doubled... The bastard bid on his own item to auction it again to try to get more money. They do it all of the time at horse and farm equipment auctions.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:43 PM
do black oem housings come up often on the classifieds? i couldnt find any after searching for some time

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM
They do pop up on classifieds, but dont last long on there.On ebay you get what you pay for. Stick with OEM. I think the black heads are becoming played out, but depending on your car color it does look good. Heads and fogs to me is too much. Keep your eye on your car colors Official thread on Fit pics/videos section to give you an idea of how many people are doing it. Painting the interior does not seem that hard, but I didnt do it. Mine is Milano red with painted fog bezels, heads would be too much black for me. Good luck to you. KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS this is the best thing you can do.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Keep doing searches on line... Losing out on Ebay resulted in me doing a search and getting a better deal on a better product from an online retailer..

Old 01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
yo got a pm

Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Hey Guys,

I got mine from AutoLightsandBulbs off of Amazon. If you buy direct, you can get a $10 Google checkout discount, and I think it was $236 shipped. Quality seems pretty good, and it fits well. Plus warranty.

But I REALLY wanted to know if anyone has looked or thought about these: Amazon.com: 07-09 Honda Fit LED Halo Projector Headlights Black: Automotive

I've read pros and cons about these lights, but no one's really written a direct review. No reviews on Amazon.com either or much anywhere else.

Any thoughts anyone? I think these would look really nice, but I am concerned about functioning issues.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
re: Kawola17

If you checked my post in the other thread you resurrected... you'd see that I wrote something very important.

They're not for GDs (07-08 US models, ie. first gens). Despite the model year listed, its for GEs, the 2nd gen (Japan got them in 08, not sure what the 07 is about).

Old 02-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
re: Kawola17

If you checked my post in the other thread you resurrected... you'd see that I wrote something very important.

They're not for GDs (07-08 US models, ie. first gens). Despite the model year listed, its for GEs, the 2nd gen (Japan got them in 08, not sure what the 07 is about).
Hey Goobers,

Thanks for the heads-up again. I did see the other posts. A little off topic, but how do you get email notification when someone replies?, For some reason, I'm not getting notified.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kawola17
Hey Goobers,

Thanks for the heads-up again. I did see the other posts. A little off topic, but how do you get email notification when someone replies?, For some reason, I'm not getting notified.
You get notifications if you subscribe to a thread.

If you go to "User CP", "Edit Options" and finally "Default Thread Subscription Mode", you can choose how soon you want email updates too (or none at all).