1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Recall: 2007-2008 Honda Fit—Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I went on line and sceduled my own apointment for Saturday at 9:00 to take care of this recall. I didn't see a letter either...

Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know about you guys, but prior to to the recall, I have been noticing that my low beams would flicker randomly. I would say at least once a day. I notice it when i'm at a stop light and I see the reflection of my beams.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Question 1: If I am reading the notice correctly, the affected part is the "connector," which would be at the end point of the wires, not the wires themselves. So, do they change the connector, or an entire section of wiring harness, including the connectors at both ends? Just wondering.

Question 2: Is a recall time-limited? Could I do this in a month? A year? Five years?

P.S.: Yo, Remedi. Wet climate folks may have a greater rate of failure in this matter, since we are talking about failure due to corrosion, which I assume is corrosion due to moisture on metal. My lights are still fine, but I am in a relatively dry climate. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
dealer vague

My dealer just said "some wiring" but I've heard the term connector used here at FF.

quote from official recall notice "There is a potential failure with the wiring of the low beam headlights which may cause the low beam headlights to fail".

I don't think there's a time limit so no hurry.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
The recall notice may well go to the original owner. Any Honda dealership service dept. can look up your VIN and should provide the recall service free of charge.
I am not the original owner and I got the letter the other day. Perhaps when I visited the local dealership for service I was registered as the current owner? You are correct, just call the dealer with your VIN for open recalls.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM
never had a problem with my headlights so not doing this one... unlike the doorlocks in the snow/rain that was anoying clunk clunk ...clunk clunk while driving and the alarm going off randomly glad i got that one done

Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 PM
I was one of the lucky ones that led to the recall. Honda dealer had to replace two parts back in October, 2010: the headlight switch and a portion of the wiring harness.

Part #s are:
1 35255-S5K-F12
1 35012-S5A-307

I got the recall letter along with paperwork to request a refund of work already completed last week. 6-8 weeks before I get a refund.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
i just got my car back 1.5 hr later

Old 02-07-2011, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I got mine done this last weekend...I got to watch them do it too!

All they did was remove the top of the steering wheel column (cover) to gain access to the headlight switch. They pulled the connecter from the light switch and opened it up. They pulled the red/white wire from the connector with a special tool. From the recall kit, they installed a new wire (about 3” long) and inserted it into the connector. They cut off the OEM wire (about 3” down), and spliced the new wire in with a solder-less crimp splice. Closed the connector (re-assembled it) and plugged it back into the headlight switch. Replaced the steering column cover…done! About a half hour job.

I don’t think it was worth doing it to my car…my connector was not burned. The mechanic showed to me that mine was not burned. I asked him not to do anything with my car. He told me that he could not, since my car was already here and registered.

So, take off the top of your column and unplug the headlight switch connector. It is gray in color. About the middle is a red/white wire, trace it to the other side (the connector side) and see if there is any blackening. If there is not, your car is good. My personal recommendation is not to do anything to your car. But, if it is darkened in any way, go get it fixed.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phillips9042
We received our recall today. Guess they will be able to do the drivers pwr window switch at the same too.

Same here. I have both letters sitting on my counter.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 PM
kbh
5 Year Member
Had mine done today. It took the dealer nearly three hours because mine actually had a problem with one of the wires in the harness being close to failure. They had to perform some sort of notification report to Honda with their findings. Gave me a free carwash for my trouble.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I got my letter a few days ago. I'll take it in next weekend.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Just a heads up, but I now need a new steering wheel column cover for my Fit after taking my car in for the recall. The dealership is covering this, but I need to go back in when they get the part. Apparently, the breaking of the cover mount is a common occurrence in this recall as this part is backordered. It's not a major issue, but if you look closely, you'll see a 1/4" gap betwen the top and bottom cover now.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Real men don't need no stinkin' headlights!

But seriously....what's with all the recalls on my Fit?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by viperjh16
i just got my car back 1.5 hr later
My altenater blew out now it was fine be for the recall now I got it done and my altenater blew I can't win

Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by viperjh16
My altenater blew out now it was fine be for the recall now I got it done and my altenater blew I can't win

Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
I'm waiting for my new parts so I can get this car start

Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Just had mine done, but now the top piece of the steering column won't stay down. I'm about to take it off and put it back in place. I hope there's nothing blocking it from being flush with the rest of the steering column. Also, I really don't feel like taking it back to the dealership, but I will if I have to.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by henryd1981
Just had mine done, but now the top piece of the steering column won't stay down. I'm about to take it off and put it back in place. I hope there's nothing blocking it from being flush with the rest of the steering column. Also, I really don't feel like taking it back to the dealership, but I will if I have to.
Ok, I think i've got it to where i can live with it.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ryanroland
did anyone have the independant fog mod done? and if so they probably will say something about that too. oh well I'll schedule it anyway see what happens.
I'm wondering this as well, since I have this mod done and it required tapping into the very harness in question.

Anyone know?

Quick Reply: Recall: 2007-2008 Honda Fit—Headlight problem