1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Chipping my honda fit

Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You may not believe me now, but if you are serious I WILL send you a turbo.

I actually have a few in storage, and I am slowly selling stuff to pay bills.

I just parted one of my custom longblocks
If only I had the time to do like Lyons....

Old 03-07-2011, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
Oh shit. This thread just broke two pages... About a damn inline fuse for $15...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jamy
Oh shit. This thread just broke two pages... About a damn inline fuse for $15...

And let me know if you find some time!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 AM
guys what can i say IM BROKE, i have a short ram intake and an rsx exhaust on it right now

ill give the chip a try, im not expecting anything but if it truly works then im gonna have to feel it

yeah a turbo kit would be nice but those are way too expensive and take alotta time

i think im just going to put a "I LOVE JDM" sticker on my bumper which claims to give 45+ hp and 15+ low end torque lol

Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 AM
hey give me some info about those colder sparks u guys are mentioning, i might give those a try aswell
thanks

Old 03-07-2011, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Too be honest I could give a shit less about extra horsepower in the fit. It get's squirrly around 105 anyways. I want TORQUE!!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by FalkenFIT
guys what can i say IM BROKE, i have a short ram intake and an rsx exhaust on it right now

ill give the chip a try, im not expecting anything but if it truly works then im gonna have to feel it

yeah a turbo kit would be nice but those are way too expensive and take alotta time

i think im just going to put a "I LOVE JDM" sticker on my bumper which claims to give 45+ hp and 15+ low end torque lol
But now your more broke.. It's not a chip, that is a fuse.

It literally does nothing except fail when too much electrical load passes through it.

Installing a chip, like an EEPROM or Flash board usually requires soldering a socket onto the board and then using ZIF fasteners. Or int he case of EvoScan, Ostrich, Jackal SD, etc. you actually flash the ECU via laptop through the emissions port.

As in actual ECU modification. They don't even specify where the fuse goes...

hey give me some info about those colder sparks u guys are mentioning, i might give those a try aswell
thanks
Denso IK22's or NGK BPR7ES's

Stock Fit plugs are 6 range, these are 7's.

Also, get the non-projected plugs that sit farther out of the air stream and project less heat into the combustion chamber.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-07-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Hey now, I tried to explain more than flame .
This thread isn't anything like I am talking about in the way of flaming.... I know from experience how insane people are when they get into a feeding frenzy I have just seen people trying to discourage someone from making a bad purchase... Some people don't believe that faster throttle response gets a car to take off from a dead stop more quickly and that electronic throttle controllers are a waste of money as well...If we just share what we have in some way or form have acquired knowledge about as a means of informing someone who asks for feedback we are doing right by everyone

Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
This thread isn't anything like I am talking about in the way of flaming.... I know from experience how insane people are when they get into a feeding frenzy I have just seen people trying to discourage someone from making a bad purchase... Some people don't believe that faster throttle response gets a car to take off from a dead stop more quickly and that electronic throttle controllers are a waste of money as well...If we just share what we have in some way or form have acquired knowledge about as a means of informing someone who asks for feedback we are doing right by everyone
Ah, Alright. I thought you were saying that we were flaming him. My bad!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 AM
thanks for all the great opinions

now has any of you actually installed one of the cheaper chips maybe on a civic perhaps?

oh thanks diamondstarmonsters ill look into those sparkplugs, im supposing ebay might be the cheapest place to find them?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
OP how could you be broke? you are getting advertisement money from falken, right?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
OP how could you be broke? you are getting advertisement money from falken, right?
haha no dont be fooled, i think it looks cool, it matches with my falken tires

Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 AM
thanks for all the great opinions

now has any of you actually installed one of the cheaper chips maybe on a civic perhaps?

oh thanks diamondstarmonsters ill look into those sparkplugs, im supposing ebay might be the cheapest place to find them?

I am beginning to see a pattern here.. I would avoid eBay and BS performance "chips" of all stripes were I in your position.

Cheap should be the last thing on your mind when you are considering any sort of ECU or sensor feedback manipulation.

That is a losing proposition. Nobody who has any shame should admit to chipping their civic, and if they are proud of doing such a thing you can bet they are going to claim it made power and gave them a bazillion MPG.

No random group on the internet has a $15 dollar chip, resistor or fuse that will do anything beneficial for you.

The "cheapest" acceptable devices you will find new in box from a reputable company are going to run upwards of $250 and even then.. you get what you pay for.

Like an Apex'i NEO AFC or an S-AFC II, and then you will have some very rudimentary tweaks to fuel delivery at your disposal.

Now I mean this with no disrespect what so ever this is just real talk from someone who is concerned.. if you can be manipulated into thinking a $15 fuse is going to give you even a measurable bump in any form, you need to stay away from these products in general.

Even legit hardware from AEM, MegaSquirt, MoTeC, et al.

There is a lot at stake.

I can type up a list of things you would be best suited by if you would prefer.. and the order in which you can do them, which is also in order of increasing skill and knowledge requirement.

Otherwise I fear for what might happen to you and your car and that is not snark or flaming.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have a superchip in my jeep and a chip in my BMW. Both made a difference and neither was under $300. You get what you pay for.... If you want an inline fuse i'll pull one off an old amp i got laying around and mail it to you for free.. You can figure out where it goes.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Does a fuse do the same as a resistor ?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
No clue...

Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 PM
hey how much would you give me a small turbo for?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
I suppose if you wanted to have the ability to adjust the ohms instead of using a single resistor you could use a mini potentiometer to adjust the voltage from the intake temperature sensor to the ECU.. It would be cheap and easy to do.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Super Chip in my wife's 95 GMC truck and a Hypertech Programmer in my 97 GMC van.. They do rely on microchip technology to do what all they do to manipulate the ECUs in the cars they are installed on ...Though my knowledge of the way these things work is zilch, I am pretty these things also utilize a resistor of some sort to alter the A/F ratios to provide a richer mixture from lower through the midrange part of the power band just like a simple resistor does when the 5.1 volt wire from the IAT sensor to the ECU when it is installed by cutting the wire installing it in line between the IAT and ECU. The only thing about this method that I can see that is bad about using this method to add a little more fuel to the A/F ratio is the amount money charged and the outrageous claims being made by the people hawking them online... Depending on the amount of ohms of resistance of the resistor used you will see a the IAT readout on a scan gauge drop roughly 30 to 50 degrees or more if you choose to use more resistance..... I'm not trying to argue with what anyone else has said but this is just my opinion based from what I have noticed by using one of these things for 4 years.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 03-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Buying those ebay-special "Performace Chips" Are just about as useful as those annoying inappropriate muffler turbo whistlers.... PLEASE tell me you don't have one of those on your fit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chipping my honda fit