1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Chipping my honda fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Lightbulb Chipping my honda fit

has anyone chipped their fit, theres cheap chips on ebay claiming to give a boost of hp and gas mileage

im thinking about doing it, just want some feedback from those that might have tried
thanks

Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Haven't seen what you are looking at, but I would say it's a scam/waste..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM
^Totally agree... Those "GAIN 5-10 HP CHIPS" are usually just transistors that supposedly "trick" your ecu.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Thismightnotfit
^Totally agree... Those "GAIN 5-10 HP CHIPS" are usually just transistors that supposedly "trick" your ecu.
The one's i've seen just make the car run rich and do absolutely nothing.. If you want to chip your car then you need a superchip (don't make one for honda's) or an ecu flash (not cheap).

In other words, you get what you pay for. So going cheap typically isn't the best option.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
its a scam

Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
well it claims to adjust you airfuel ratios to create better stochiometry giving more power and a more efficient burn

Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
its fake brosef.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FalkenFIT
well it claims to adjust you airfuel ratios to create better stochiometry giving more power and a more efficient burn
If there was a chip the manufactures would use it. If you want more power and a efficient burn try premium. stoichiometry is 14.7 and that what the stock ecu gives you, and is capable of small increases with bolt ons.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 AM
well im gonna try it anyways, what if it works, if it doesnt i can return it,

heres the link to what i bought check it out tell me what you think?

http://performanceupgrade.homestead.com

Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
The website looks pretty generic if you ask me. I could make something just like that in about an hour. The pictures too are generic and could be easily found through google images. If I'm basing if the chip works on the website. I doubt it will be anything significant. Where are they putting this chip? there is nothing that says how to install it. And the picture they have is a picture of an inline fuse...

And I just noticed this. Their increase numbers are ridiculously high. A chip cant add 55 ft/lb's of torque..

I'd be getting my money back ASAP if it's even possible.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 AM
yeah i obviously understand its not gonna give 55 hp haha thats a joke, but they said if its not noticable, money back...

i was thinking maybe 10 hp, which a honda fit is light, would give that bit of energy

i havent recieved it yet so i dont know quite where it goes

Old 03-07-2011, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
I'm just showing that's how they get their business. People see those numbers and don't know any better and believe them. I think 5 hp from a chip is pushing it even on a fit. Just don't let the placebo effect get to you.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 AM
You just got scammed. Congrats.

I would recommend you do not install that. Best case scenario.. nothing happens.

Worst case scenario is that it actually interferes/modifies any sensor feedback and you're potentially out an engine.

The only image of it I can find is an in-line low load fuse block that will literally do nothing.

I use this exact same fuse block for my shurflo meth pump lead that goes from the battery terminal to the relay.

And this is some BS:

Our performance modules tune your vehicle's engine to run at stoichiometric levels. Stoichiometric or theoretical combustion is the ideal combustion process during which a fuel is burned completely. Fuel is not wasted (rich mixture) and your engine isn’t starving for fuel either (lean mixture). The tuning is done through the vehicle’s on-board computer or ECU. Our module tunes your vehicle’s ECU to allow the engine to run at stoichiometric levels which maximizes performance and improves fuel economy simultaneously.
The Fit, and quite literally every OBD1 or OBD2 vehicle made since the late 1980s for that matter are programmed to run as close to lambda 1.0v (stoich) as is possible across the hundreds of maps that come calibrated from the factory.

Lambda 1.0v which is stoich and 14.64:1AFRs on pure gas, and 14.13:1AFRs is where most cars run stock at idle and under cruise.

If the ECU is making you run rich you have other issues. Either mechanical or fuel related. Usually it is because you are running crappy fuel and the ECU is running rich as a safety measure.

More fuel than necessary slows the combustion and reduces flamefront propagation speed so less energy can be released in the same period of time. Usually spark timing is cut at the same time.

What you could've done instead of buying a fuse block masquerading as a chip flash is just drop some colder 7 range plugs in the car and then ponied up the extra $3/tank for some premium dino juice for a total cost of about the same $15 you just dropped on a fuse holder..

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-07-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 AM
oh jamy im AWARE of the placebo effect ive taken psychology haha, but i know my fit too well to fall for that, but thanks for the encouragement

hey diamondstarmonster lemme borrow one of those turbos haha, i wish i had money to install one of those and swap in a k20

Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
That seriously looks like the same one I have providing power to my Supertones.. And shit a turbo on a Fit. When you start giving 'em away, I'll be right there with my arms wide open .

The placebo effect occurs whether you know about it or not. If you want something to feel different it usually will. If not those guys wouldn't be on the internet right now.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
this thread is funny.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
if the chip worked, you'd think we would all have one

Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
If you have a short ram intake and cat back with straight through muffler the "chip" which is actually just a resistor will trick into giving you a slightly richer mixture and more ignition advance when you are on the throttle and a scan gauge will show that your ECU goes into open loop at a lesser throttle opening than without it .. On a scan gauge your intake air temperature will show a colder than actual temperature also. There have been dyno test that have proven that they do little if anything as far as making more horsepower but your car loses some bottom end torque with the intake and pipe changes and one of these gives it back.. You could do better by getting a throttle controller from twpanson, colder spark plugs and using premium fuel... If you have to get one get the absolute cheapest you can find and be informed that even mentioning that you have one on a forum will get you flamed vehemently...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If you have a short ram intake and cat back with straight through muffler the "chip" which is actually just a resistor will trick into giving you a slightly richer mixture and more ignition advance when you are on the throttle and a scan gauge will show that your ECU goes into open loop at a lesser throttle opening than without it .. On a scan gauge your intake air temperature will show a colder than actual temperature also. There have been dyno test that have proven that they do little if anything as far as making more horsepower but your car loses some bottom end torque with the intake and pipe changes and one of these gives it back.. You could do better by getting a throttle controller from twpanson, colder spark plugs and using premium fuel... If you have to get one get the absolute cheapest you can find and be informed that even mentioning that you have one on a forum will get you flamed vehemently...
Hey now, I tried to explain more than flame .

Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by FalkenFIT
oh jamy im AWARE of the placebo effect ive taken psychology haha, but i know my fit too well to fall for that, but thanks for the encouragement

hey diamondstarmonster lemme borrow one of those turbos haha, i wish i had money to install one of those and swap in a k20

You may not believe me now, but if you are serious I WILL send you a turbo.

I actually have a few in storage, and I am slowly selling stuff to pay bills/tuition and fund my new projects..

I just parted one of my custom longblocks

But honestly who needs 3 engines for the same car?

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-07-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Chipping my honda fit