1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Terrible Misfire all cylinders please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Angry Terrible Misfire all cylinders please help!!!!!

Hello! 73k miles.

Started off as a small misfire so my mechanic checked it with obdII Scanner.

Said it was a misfire in cylinder 4, we looked at it, and the plug and Coil looked ok so we put it back in with a little di electric grease.

After that it was misfiring worse. Ordered a new coil pack and installed it today. Now, its running EVEN WORSE!! To top it off, after a new scan, it turns out that the engine is having multiple misfires in all cylinders now.

Thing runs like crap and can barely climb to 3000 rpm. Exhaust is popping and putting, and you can feel it misfire so hard. I'm so pissed at this car.

WTF!?

Why is every problem with our cars so mysterious?! Any feedback would be great. I checked some of the other threads and there's just so many different things people did, and it seems like no one ever got it fixed.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Since you changed the coil packs, why not just go ahead and change the wires and plugs. It doesn't sound like a plug typical issue, it's going to be hard to diagnose over the Internet, any white smoke coming out the exhaust?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr_Kunio
Hello! 73k miles.

Said it was a misfire in cylinder 4, we looked at it, and the plug and Coil looked ok so we put it back in with a little di electric grease.

After that it was misfiring worse. Ordered a new coil pack and installed it today. Now, its running EVEN WORSE!! To top it off, after a new scan, it turns out that the engine is having multiple misfires in all cylinders now.
Thing runs like crap and can barely climb to 3000 rpm. Exhaust is popping and putting, and you can feel it misfire so hard. I'm so pissed at this car.

WTF!?

Why is every problem with our cars so mysterious?! Any feedback would be great. I checked some of the other threads and there's just so many different things people did, and it seems like no one ever got it fixed.

The problem - and cure - is not mysterious if you don't replace ALL of the coil packs and plugs. (and make sure you don't switch a coil pack connection). Once the misfiring happens it seems to spread like wildfire to other cylinders.
The mysterious part is why Honda chose to use coil packs in the first place. Or plugs so special they cost a small fortune.
PS just where did you apply dielectric grease?

Last edited by mahout; 07-07-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
The problem - and cure - is not mysterious if you don't replace ALL of the coil packs and plugs. (and make sure you don't switch a coil pack connection). Once the misfiring happens it seems to spread like wildfire to other cylinders.
The mysterious part is why Honda chose to use coil packs in the first place. Or plugs so special they cost a small fortune.
PS just where did you apply dielectric grease?
My friend is going to take a look and change the plugs today. Hopefully it will work, if not then I have 3 more coil packs to buy.

We put the grease on the end of the boot on the tip of the spring that makes contact to the plug.

I hate these coil pack things. what a waste.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Coil packs are great for added spark. Even civics are now converting to coils. From what ive read in here before, replace all coils and plugs. Should solve your problem. Unless plugs look bad, they are not the issue. If they are bad you have more problems. Try the coils first.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bthasht
Coil packs are great for added spark. Even civics are now converting to coils. From what ive read in here before, replace all coils and plugs. Should solve your problem. Unless plugs look bad, they are not the issue. If they are bad you have more problems. Try the coils first.
see thread:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...alve+clearance

for further reading

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat

Thanx for that. Never saw that thread, but it did back up my coil pack replacment idea. Here is a quote from KoolKevin who had the same problem with cylinders 2,3 &4............................

Well i just wanted to update everybody on the hiccups that i've had:

After running 2 injector cleaners, i knew the problem was in my coil packs. I literally took off my intake runners and cleaned them... same problem. So the last step was to order a set of coil packs. I wanted to put a little more extra miles before i really do have to order them so i kept on driving them for another 3 weeks. bad idea.

One day, i got a check engine and it was flashing... then it went away. then it came back... then it went away... oh and this was in a 20 mile one way drive. The next morning, i'm heading to school... everything seemed fine. From school i went to work.... couple hiccups no check engines. On my drive back home from work...... check engine within 3 minutes of driving and this time.. the car SHUT OFF on me on the freeway! Luckily it was 12am and i pulled over. Turns out, 3 of my coil packs took a big s**t on me at the same time. Had to get the car towed home because it would not turn back on. The next morning i pulled out the coil packs and let them sit on top of the engine bay plugged into the harness. I made my brother crank the car. Sure enough, i was only getting a spark in cylinder 4 (closest to the battery).

Right then i ordered 3 new coil packs from bernardiparts.com @ $61 each. Just to let anybody know, that part comes from another warehouse of bernardi's so shipping is gonna take an additional 4 days so be prepared to wait a while longer for them to ship! ::sigh::

Once they came in, i switched em. Reset the ECU (disconnected the battery for 15 minutes) and turn the car on. Ran PERFECT. I almost forgot how the car ran cuz i was running it "hiccuping" for such a long time.

So in the long run... if ur getting hiccups, i recommend taking it to pep boys for a free diagnostic on which cylinders it is. Then go and purchase however many coil packs you need. I'm now running the car just like i was and i'm back up to 370mpg per full tank.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
With 73K miles, I'd suggest adjusting the valve clearances as well.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 PM
After about 6 trips to the dealer (3 to diagnose, and 3 to fix), replacing all the coilpacks and plugs solved the problem with my car.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 PM
fit misfire

I had same problem but it was intermitttent at first. I took it to the dealer and they put it on the obd2 scanner and found nothing...$119 later problem still there. At stop lights and just idling the car would misfire. Took it back to them and asked for a mechanic the ride in car with me. He was able to feel the misfire. They asked to keep car for a day to troubleshoot. Next day I called ..they found a #3 coil bad. $135 for coil $378 with labor on top of the $119 I paid the week prior.

I went to dealership after finding that the coil only cost $60 if I buy it online and demanded my car. I changed the coil myself (all of 2 minutes) and it did not fix the misfire. I found a guy on another forum suggest regapping the spark plugs cause Honda is notorious for not gapping plugs in new fits correctly. I pulled the plugs and sure enough they were gapped to .052. Too wide, causing poor firing. The gap for a fit should be .044. I regapped all four plugs and never had problem again.... Try it, dont take their word that htey checked them.
Originally Posted by Mr_Kunio
Hello! 73k miles.

WTF!?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 PM
I am new here but all the coil pack symptoms almost sounds as if some of this could be caused by a bad battery too. Bad batteries can cause some awfully weird problems and symptoms. I have had vehicles start up fine, but die out at higher rpm's, or spit and sputter intermittently. ...just a thought.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 AM
change the order of the coils to see if that changes anything.