1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Timing Belt/Chain Replacement? Necessary or not?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Thank you for the detailed feedback. I am in the process of finding a mechanic (I just saw my Dad who gave my car a quick look over) nearby. Fitchburg is about 30 minutes northeast of Worcester, about 50ish minutes west of Boston (or 2 hours, depending on traffic! ).

The man at the dealership mentioned my chain as he was walking in the room, not looking at any of my paperwork, just hearing that my car was at the 105k mark. It was being dropped off for service, so no one had looked at it for about 8k miles.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I still need to write to Honda, and I think I'll contact the BBB as well, too. Thanks!
Stacy

Originally Posted by thaduke2003
I've been a professional mechanic for more than a decade, and the only time I've ever seen a timing chain SNAP is in heavy-duty racing engines, or when the engine was over-revved (10K+), and at that point, it was a done deal anyway.

Chains, however, do stretch over time. You may hear it as a tapping or ticking that increases (in a non-linear fashion) with RPM- if you hear this, STOP! Or, your timing may be off- power will drop, fuel economy will drop, and the engine will feel like it's down a cylinder, but a compression test will be nearly normal. This means the chain has skipped a tooth. At this point, you need to replace it.

There is no set interval for servicing most timing chains- usually, it's a "replace as needed" listing. However, it is recommended that after 75K on most cars you pull the timing chain cover and inspect it for wear (or missing guides, frozen/broken tensioners, etc.) every so often. Usually, the water pump goes first, and it is recommended that you replace the chain at the same time, as you would a water pump.

It stinks that a dealership would lie to you like that. There is no reason to need to change the timing chain at 105K unless it is actually stretched, which I doubt they verified. There is NO reason to do "tune-ups" every 5K miles- the only regular maintenance this car NEEDS are oil changes, and 5K is VERY early, unless you're racing or driving in a dirt pile all day.

If this is a HOA dealership, report them IMMEDIATELY, and find a new dealership. Contact the BBB, and run away from that dealership, in any case. They are thieves. Tell everyone you know to avoid them at all costs. That's the best way to ensure they stop ripping people off. Where in MA is Fitchburg?

To topbanana, I too, ask- why did you have your chain changed? If the engine was being torn down for some reason, okay, but otherwise, that's very likely unnecessary maintenance- Mark W.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Ah- I was going to say, if you were in Western MA, you could bring it by my place. I don't have my own shop anymore, but I do work on cars for good people out of my own garage I can't say I know too many folks out your way, sadly, who work on cars.

Was the dealership rep that said this in the service department, or sales? If he's in service, I'd post up everywhere I could, specifically mentioning the dealership's name, and his, if available. That kind of lie needs to be aired out- he's obviously trying to take advantage of you (no offense) because you're a woman, and that kind of crap is purely wrong, and it has no place in business, or anywhere. Get mad! Mark W.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
On another Honda forum, a longtime Honda technician mentioned that the only time he had seen a Honda timing chain become a problem, was when the oil changes were repeatedly neglected.

As long as you follow the Maintenance Minder for service you will be OK.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Since the timing chain on Hondas is dry (not oiled), I have no idea how there would be a link between the two. I think that was misunderstood- Mark W.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Are you sure there's no oiling mechanism for the chain? When I pulled the valve cover to adjust the valve clearance, I could see what looked like oil on the chain. Now, maybe there isn't a dedicated oil sprayer for it, but it seems to me a little oil gets on it every now and then.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 AM
A TINY amount of oil may seep in through the VCG from time to time- it happens. It's not great, but it's not awful- the chain should be lubed with a similarly TINY amount of oil any time the cover is off, but it should never be "wet." If there is a noticable amount of oil in there, either the VCG is going (easy fix) or the chain tensioner or cam gear seals are leaking- Mark W.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Good to know. I'll do that next time I have the cover off.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
F.Y.I The Honda Fit timing chain is bathed in oil !

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by goddessmcd
Thanks so much for the feedback. I still need to write to Honda, and I think I'll contact the BBB as well, too. Thanks!
Stacy
Wow, this is story is just awful, they sure saw you coming! Why they thought they could get away with it in the digital age is beyond me.

Kudos on getting second and third opinions.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
In defense of that service advisor he was probably a new one and was just not correct on his coverage

Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Does a 2011 Fit have a timing chain or a timing belt, and does it need to be changed at some point?

All Fits have timing chains, not belts, as you have been told. Its designed to last well over 300,000 miles.Many previous Hondas do have belts and replacement is needed about every 100k miles, give or take. But not Fit.
The dealer that told you you needed a new 'chain' knew full well he was gouging you and indeed should be avoided. While you're at it complain to Honda Customer Service.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
The only recent 4cyl Honda to have a belt was the S2k. All K,L,R have chains. V6 different story belts which need to be changed at 105k under most conditions.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
As a former Honda Tech and service advisor I would like to apologize for a service advisors past discretions He or she will be forever banned form receiving the honda gold level service advisor award !

Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stevens24
The only recent 4cyl Honda to have a belt was the S2k. All K,L,R have chains. V6 different story belts which need to be changed at 105k under most conditions.
S2000 are chains.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
This makes me mad. Those are the kind of shops that give all mechanics a bad name and to use scare tactics like that is horrible.

You said this is a Honda dealership? It might not do anything at all, but I would contact Honda of America and let them know what that place is up to.
sadly this is why alot of people do not trust dealers. I check the Better buisness bureau for rep cause to be honest I cannot afford to be wasting money on un needed repairs.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 PM
I bought a 2007 Fit with 100k on it just 2 months ago. The dealer has been sending me me coupons for service and today got an email that their records indicated it was Time For Your Timing Belt Service

Our records indicate that your vehicle may have reached or exceeded its recommended interval to have its engine timing belt replaced. We strongly suggest you come in and have this service performed soon, as your vehicle’s engine could suffer severe internal damage should the timing belt break or jump timing.

TIMING BELT COUPON
15% OFF

Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dolph39
I bought a 2007 Fit with 100k on it just 2 months ago. The dealer has been sending me me coupons for service and today got an email that their records indicated it was Time For Your Timing Belt Service

Our records indicate that your vehicle may have reached or exceeded its recommended interval to have its engine timing belt replaced. We strongly suggest you come in and have this service performed soon, as your vehicle’s engine could suffer severe internal damage should the timing belt break or jump timing.

TIMING BELT COUPON
15% OFF

lolz,
at the same time though, part of it is just not having fine tuned the technical details of their ad campaigns to be specific enough to give the right offers. You don't get mad when autocorrect messes up or google gives you bad results, so don't be too quick to brand them liars and cheats.

If you call them and ask, "hey i thought my car didn't have a timing belt" and based on their answer you can tell if they are honest or ignorant.
And if they go the whole distance and actually do a "fake" repair for which they give you a receipt, then take them to court.

If when you bring it in, the actual service techie corrects the customer rep, then they still have plausible deniability that they just mixed it up. Not everyone is an expert.

Last edited by raytseng; 08-16-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thaduke2003
I've been a professional mechanic for more than a decade, and the only time I've ever seen a timing chain SNAP is in heavy-duty racing engines, or when the engine was over-revved (10K+), and at that point, it was a done deal anyway.

Chains, however, do stretch over time. You may hear it as a tapping or ticking that increases (in a non-linear fashion) with RPM- if you hear this, STOP! Or, your timing may be off- power will drop, fuel economy will drop, and the engine will feel like it's down a cylinder, but a compression test will be nearly normal. This means the chain has skipped a tooth. At this point, you need to replace it.

There is no set interval for servicing most timing chains- usually, it's a "replace as needed" listing. However, it is recommended that after 75K on most cars you pull the timing chain cover and inspect it for wear (or missing guides, frozen/broken tensioners, etc.) every so often. Usually, the water pump goes first, and it is recommended that you replace the chain at the same time, as you would a water pump.

It stinks that a dealership would lie to you like that. There is no reason to need to change the timing chain at 105K unless it is actually stretched, which I doubt they verified. There is NO reason to do "tune-ups" every 5K miles- the only regular maintenance this car NEEDS are oil changes, and 5K is VERY early, unless you're racing or driving in a dirt pile all day.

If this is a HOA dealership, report them IMMEDIATELY, and find a new dealership. Contact the BBB, and run away from that dealership, in any case. They are thieves. Tell everyone you know to avoid them at all costs. That's the best way to ensure they stop ripping people off. Where in MA is Fitchburg?

To topbanana, I too, ask- why did you have your chain changed? If the engine was being torn down for some reason, okay, but otherwise, that's very likely unnecessary maintenance- Mark W.
I've been driving/owning a car for over 30 years and I still find it very hard to believe (IE: adhere to) the servicing intervals of the Fit. In my day, waiting for the dummy light to come on was a recipe for disaster. Heck, wasn't the object of servicing the car was so that those lights NEVER came on? LOL

I'm doing my best to follow the manual and by listening to those who know more than I do but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me sweat! When my Fit was closing in on 7K before doing the first oil change, I was a wreck !

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by goddessmcd
Hi all--I have an '07 Fit with 105k mi on it. My dealer told me I need a new timing belt, to the tune of $1200. My father, who is a mechanic on big rigs, checked in with a friend who works on foreign cars who checked with the Honda dealer in their city--said there is a timing chain on my car that does not need to be replaced. That Honda dealer said they do not stock the chains for my model because they replace them rarely (if ever?). Can someone let me know their experience with this? I don't want to destroy my engine (as the CSR at the Honda dealer indicated would happen if I didn't have the service done), but I don't want to cough up $1200 for a service I may not need. Please help!

Also--My dealership (not where I bought the car, but the closest one since the move) is adament that I need tune-ups every 5k miles or so. Do others do regularly scheduled maintenance? Do you just wait for an indicator light (other than basic fluids or if the car is acting up)? Please advise!! Thank you!

I'll go further: that dealer is dishonest. Fit has a timing chain, good for at least 200k miles.
Tuneups only needed when coil paks go bad along with plugs.
get as far from their facility as possible. Be extremely distrustful of any warranty work they do. Report tghedm to Honda if you can prove your quote from them.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nascartrash
F.Y.I The Honda Fit timing chain is bathed in oil !

Thank you. Any chain unlubricated WILL fail quickly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt/Chain Replacement? Necessary or not?