1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

our first Fit, 2008 man. transm. which year service manual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM
our first Fit, 2008 man. transm. which year service manual?

Hello,
My first post. We are the new owners of a manual transmission '08 Honda Fit with 60k miles on it. We bought it used just last week after looking over three used manual transmission autos (we only drive manual) that were available, a '10 KIA Soul, a '06 Toyota Scion, and the red Fit. We were looking for a car that gets good gas mileage and yet is roomy, peppy, and smooth driving, and something our older Germ. Shepherd dog can get into so we can take her on trips or to the vet.

Our current vehicles include a '86 Toyota MR2 that my husband had bought before we met, and a '90 Mitsubishi Mighty Max truck, and a somewhat sluggish '08 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder, sluggish due to overly-heavy body. We intend to sell the Mighty Max eventually as living in the country, it will probably be the easiest to sell in these parts of the mid-South. The KIA and the Scion both drove a bit rough,plus on both, the base was too high for our dog to be able to climb easily inside. Surprised that the room in the back of the Scion wasn't that roomy compared to the room in the Fit (rear seats down in both), plus the laid down seats were high off the ground. Anyway, we settled on the Fit. The overall quality is very good and all interior stuff makes sense where it is located. We would have looked at other 'hatchback' style cars, but it is very difficult in the mid-South to find stick shift cars for sale, unless they are sporty coupes. Southerners like automatics, especially largish SUV types for the women.

My husband wants me to buy a used service manual, but I am confused as to what year to look for as the only used manuals I found were for 2007 or 2009 and up (can't recall the name of the website I found them at), but nothing for 2008. I see they have both the electrical and general manuals. We always buy manuals for all of our cars because we like to maintain and repair them ourselves when possible. I'm awaiting a new battery as the one that came with car is dead and naturally the dealership didn't want to replace it while it was being shown. We've already replaced the air filter as the original was filthy and never changed. Lo and behold, I found a Wal-Mart receipt for oil and oil filter change and check up for Jan. '11 and on it was stamped "air filter not available". We found one simple enough at the local auto parts store. Yesterday I ordered mud flaps for the four tires to protect the car. We live on a gravel road, and the small country road further on down has huge potholes, which I do my best to drive round, driving very slow on both sections to protect cars. I'd also like to protect the wheel well edges, something that newer cars seem to leave off (both Mighty Max 4 wheel drive and MR2 came with plastic protectors, plus mud flaps).

After looking at forums, I see from the VIN that ours is a first generation Fit.

Thanks for your time!
Safina

Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Safina and welcome to the forums. Congrat's on the Fit purchase...you will love the car. We also have a 2008 Sport manual and the wife and I both love it. She drives it to work and I drive it on weekends.

For the owners manual, you need the 2007 one. You can get the CD-Rom version fairly cheaply from eBay. I have the Bishko one and it's great. Here's a link to the one that I got from the same seller 2007 HONDA FIT Shop Service Repair Manual CD | eBay

Once again, welcome!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
GAFIT, thank you and a big Hello back. That was the year I was kinda thinking would the the correct one. My husband did mention the CD. I saw a used electrical and the basic service manual for about 90.00 dollars at one of those ebay seller sites, and then also saw a website where you can download the manual and burn it to disc, but we use dial up, so I haven't taken that seriously.
Much obliged for the valuable information!
Safina