1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Any idea of origin of engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Any idea of origin of engine noise

I have a 2008 Fit regular with 65K miles and there is a noise coming from somewhere in the front of the car, guessing the engine compartment unless it happens to be the front left tire. It started out a couple of weeks ago. Noise happened only at highway speeds and then very intermittent. The pitch and type of sound would remind you more of say loose metal resonating as opposed to a high pitched squeak that you might hear from a belt. Since then it's getting more frequent, occurring at lower speeds and louder in nature although still not all the time and not at a complete stop, even when I put the car in neutral and rev up the engine. Today I had a clue which may help in diagnosis. I was at a point when it wasn't making the noise constantly but whenever I turned the wheel to the left, the noise started up. Straighten out the wheel and the noise stopped. Any clues? Which I could attach a file as I made a recording with my iphone.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Go to Utube and download. Loose metal is usally a heat shield under the car. Or the brake shield, man if it were me geep I be jack'n the car up tommorow taking the tires off and have'n a look around. Let us know what ya find.
Big Mike

Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Where is the brake shield located exactly? I would guess that rather than the heat shield under the car as it became aggressive when turning to the left.

Last edited by geepondy2; 07-14-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member

If you look behind the rotor the black shield from 10 o'clock to 1 o'clock

Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM
EDIT: Read below

I'm in a condo parking lot with limited access to tools and hence I don't feel comfortable getting under the car while it is supported by the scissor jack but I did do some probing around this morning. By turning the steering wheel, I was able to feel behind the tire and the brake shield appears to be intact. I do have an educated guess though. When I turn the electric radiator fan with my hand, it turns smoothly but is not quiet. I'm wondering if the motor bearings are shot. That might explain the on again, off again behavior although I wouldn't see how turning the steering wheel to the left would affect this behavior. I attempted to load the iphone recording I made to youtube but alas it won't allow me to upload audio files, video only. I wish I could because at the very end of the recording, it does make the sound a fan makes when a piece of paper or something gets stuck inside it. If anybody is willing to PM their email address I'll email it.

Anyway to prove my fan motor theory?

EDIT: No I think I can scrap my fan motor theory. When driving this morning, it happened right away, before engine was warm enough for fan to come on. Only when moving and much more prevalent when turning to the left. Almost like a brake level wear indicator noise but brake action doesn't affect it one way or the other. As mentioned, car has 65K miles and brakes have not been touched so maybe they're due.

Last edited by geepondy2; 07-15-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
There are a few things that spring to mind as possibilities:

1. Steering pump belt. Usually makes noise when actively turning the wheels, commonly both L/R but not always.
2. CV joint. Often the culprit when noise occurs when wheel is fully turned; however not likely when pointed straight (until bad)
3. Brake rotor slightly warped. I've never been that convinced this could make intermittent noise or only when the wheel is turned, but my dad swears that it's pretty common. Since you're at 65 K you are certainly down on the pads and could use new rotors so I would recommend this as a first step that will pay off in safety anyway.
4. Wheel bearing. This isn't really common in low mileage cars, and it's expensive.
5. Oh can't forget a rattling heat shield. Common to hear noise only at certain RPM levels.

Telling them apart is of course tough when you can't hear the noise. Of course it's also tough if you can!

Old 07-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh I'd love to email anybody the sound file if they wish to PM me their email address. It's getting worse. It sounds like a buzzsaw winding up and then cutting into a piece of metal! It happens at low speeds and sounds like something is really spinning but it stops when I stop. Really tough to tell the exact origin but cranking my head out, I would guess somewhere to the left of center and lowerish.

EDIT: I just had a horrible thought. I hope a wheel bearing hasn't come loose and is spinning around the driveshaft! Is that possible?

Last edited by geepondy2; 07-15-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Can you upload it somewhere, like Youtube, and post a link?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 PM
check left drive shaft. it is also one possibility especially if you're lowered.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
I was dealing with a "circular saw ripping through plywood" sound at highway speeds. It was very high pitched.

Turns out it was a heat shield. I don't remember hitting anything, but sure enough that's what it was.