2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Engine idle noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Engine idle noise

Has anyone experienced a slight ticking noise when the engine is idling. I have a 2010 honda fit with less than 10,000 miles on it.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Here is a thread that has been going for awhile about what you are experiencing. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...t-noise-7.html

Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM
That thread has cars with two noises: One is the ticking noise and one is a metallic slap. The first I believe are the injectors and lifters while the latter is somewhat more serious and sounds like piston slap. You have to listen closely but if you are really that worried take it to the dealer and have them check it out. While you're there start up some Fits on their lot and see if it sounds the same.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Mine has been making the same noise for about 4 years... It's about $7K and 10 PSI too late to worry about

Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Mine has been making the same noise for about 4 years... It's about $7K and 10 PSI too late to worry about
I though the mechanic found out it was normal in that other thread. He took the motor apart and found nothing wrong and the noise came from #3 which is the crank thrust bearing. My car made the same noise with synthetic oil and I tried a heavy duty friction modifier in it too.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I though the mechanic found out it was normal in that other thread. He took the motor apart and found nothing wrong and the noise came from #3 which is the crank thrust bearing. My car made the same noise with synthetic oil and I tried a heavy duty friction modifier in it too.
I've owned numerous small cars and motorcycles that have made different mechanical noises and didn't come unglued.. I've been all over the engine in my Fit with a stethoscope and have picked up the noise the loudest from the EGR valve and fuel rail... I don't know anything else to say about it except that it hasn't gotten any louder and it goes away once the engine has warmed up... VTEC is activated by oil pressure and oil pressure is highest when the oil is cold... I pick up the noise loudest on the intake side of the engine so that could be the source of the noise... I've listened to piston slap on motorcycles and feel that I would recognize it if that was the source of what I hear on the Fit.. I've been hearing the same thing since the winter of 2006-2007 without having it get worse so I'm accepting it as being the nature of the beast to sound like it does..

Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I've owned numerous small cars and motorcycles that have made different mechanical noises and didn't come unglued.. I've been all over the engine in my Fit with a stethoscope and have picked up the noise the loudest from the EGR valve and fuel rail... I don't know anything else to say about it except that it hasn't gotten any louder and it goes away once the engine has warmed up... VTEC is activated by oil pressure and oil pressure is highest when the oil is cold... I pick up the noise loudest on the intake side of the engine so that could be the source of the noise... I've listened to piston slap on motorcycles and feel that I would recognize it if that was the source of what I hear on the Fit.. I've been hearing the same thing since the winter of 2006-2007 without having it get worse so I'm accepting it as being the nature of the beast to sound like it does..
I never really paid attention to the noise unless some thing else was different. My Truck at work sounds different every day and also long as it pulls the load, there is no problems. My wife and I have the same type of car with the same motors and Hers sounds different than mine.

Temps have a lot to do with engine noise and with these thinner oils noise is just part of the deal.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Mine has done it from day one. Does the fit have solid lifters?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
Yes. There are 4 areas excessive sound comes from Valves, Injectors including EGR system and Pistons/ Thrust bearing, All which is normal as long as no other problems are happening like misses,backfires, or ECU Codes. You have a high compression all aluminum motor so sounds are just part of the experience.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Yes. There are 4 areas excessive sound comes from Valves, Injectors including EGR system and Pistons/ Thrust bearing, All which is normal as long as no other problems are happening like misses,backfires, or ECU Codes. You have a high compression all aluminum motor so sounds are just part of the experience.
That's what I thought, my 97 Civic with a D16Y8 made the same sounds, though I never thought much of it since I bought the car with 175,000 miles on it.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
It has rocker arms but no lifters of any kind... The old 84 Honda XR350 is what I had years ago with a very similar valve train to that of a Fit that was notorious for valve noise... I tried to link to it but couldn't... There is a mess of parts in the head that is absent from DOHC 16 valve 4 cylinder engines.. This was noted on the motorcycle and I would think that the Fit engine being more complex with the VTEC activation parts would be applicable to the Fit as well...Americans aren't used to engines with a lot of mechanical noise unless they have owned a few older foreign cars or 4 stroke motorcycles.... A Harley Davidson Shovel head I built up the engine on sounded like there was a very strong little man with a ball peen hammer beating on the cylinder head from inside when I replaced the hydraulic lifters with solid ones to allow the use of a radical camshaft... It sounded like it would come unglued and scatter in all directions to everyone except old hardcore Harley riders that had been around them for years. I'm writing the Fit noise as normal mechanical sounds just as I did when racing my XR-350.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
i have a clack clack noise when warmed up on tickover you can hear it under the noise of the injector tick it does not seem to keep time with the engine it could go klack klack klack quiet klack quiet klack klack

it does sound like the engine but the engine sounds perfect when i rev it, if it was rod knock wouldnt you be able to hear it at high revs ?

it does not use any oil or coolant and the car has 42k miles and always dealer serviced and never abused