1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Help! Is 90000 miles too much for 07 Honda Fit?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Help! Is 90000 miles too much for 07 Honda Fit?

Hello, we have a baby on the way and are thinking of getting a family car. Is 90000 miles on the Honda Fit too much? The car seems gorgeous but I am a bit worried about extra maintenance expenses. This is the car in question:

Used 2007 Honda Fit For Sale in St. Louis MO | C121354A | Hazelwood & St Peters

It's priced for $8995 ($9600 on KBB). Any suggestions would help. Thank you very much.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Go for it.

90k is nothing if the car was at all cared for.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Thank you! Any tips on what I should check for when I meet with the dealer?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 AM
If you havent owned hondas in the past, you dont know what you're missing. Ive owned quite a few over the years and have put ALOT of problem free miles on them. I have close to 150k miles on a civic now and the only thing I had to replace over the years were the CV joints which are pretty cheap. As long as you change the oil in them, and keep a clean air filter in it, you'll be looking to get another problem free 100k out of that car.

PS
A baby seat is a tight fit in it, especially if you have a tall person in the front passanger seat. We just traded in a 2010 nissan cube in and got a new fit last week, the cube had alot more leg room in the front and rear.
But the fit does work out pretty good. Yesterday was my first ride in my wifes new car and of course she had to drive haha. Im 6'3 and was a little bit stuffed in the front. Most of the time I had my foot up on the dash.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by CTS4MATION
If you havent owned hondas in the past, you dont know what you're missing. Ive owned quite a few over the years and have put ALOT of problem free miles on them. I have close to 150k miles on a civic now and the only thing I had to replace over the years were the CV joints which are pretty cheap. As long as you change the oil in them, and keep a clean air filter in it, you'll be looking to get another problem free 100k out of that car.

PS
A baby seat is a tight fit in it, especially if you have a tall person in the front passanger seat. We just traded in a 2010 nissan cube in and got a new fit last week, the cube had alot more leg room in the front and rear.
But the fit does work out pretty good. Yesterday was my first ride in my wifes new car and of course she had to drive haha. Im 6'3 and was a little bit stuffed in the front. Most of the time I had my foot up on the dash.
Thank you very much!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stcardinals
Hello, we have a baby on the way and are thinking of getting a family car. Is 90000 miles on the Honda Fit too much? The car seems gorgeous but I am a bit worried about extra maintenance expenses. This is the car in question:

Used 2007 Honda Fit For Sale in St. Louis MO | C121354A | Hazelwood & St Peters

It's priced for $8995 ($9600 on KBB). Any suggestions would help. Thank you very much.

Like any used car purchase, the care given the car by prfior owners matters most. Given that, you need to inspect, or have inspected competently, the condition of the Fit. A good Honda mechanic is a good choice; the dealer is if he's willing to give you a warrantgy even if only 90 days. You must check the condition of tires, bodywork (maske sure fenders are not tampered), history from CARFAX, signs of wreck repair, and naturally how well it drives, being careful to look for hesitation, poor performance, maintenance (valves adjusted by dealer?), uphostery signs of wear, pedal wear too, and if given the chance get a mpg from a test drive. Top off the tank, drive 50 miles, top off again noting the mpg. If your 50 miles was suburban 28 mpog, interstate 32+ and if the dealedr knows (good sign) talk to the previous owner about his opinion. ASn automatic is potentially a better buy than manual at 90k because a clutch repair might be in short future - not cheap. Brakeds ditto altho not so costly even with the rear drums. The fronts are no sweat. Inspect oil on dipstick for dirtyness or other signs of poor oil changes, likewise the oil filter not a cheap imitation of a filter, ie not major brand. All the electrical stuff works, including heater and a/c? Odometer and speedometer OK too. No funny sounds or motions? Check tires are OK and preferrably a good brand as well using TireRack.com
If the Fit is nice then $8995 is a decent price.
good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 08-07-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 PM
thank you very much!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Looks really clean. Go for it! What part of STL are you from?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Thank you very much!!!
Also, another thing I really liked about it was the hatch room. Her cube had a ton of room, and we were originally going to trade it in on a nissan juke (I loved that an awd turbo still got 30mpg). We were about ready to sign on it and I said I want to see if the stroller fits in the back...... It had NO room, and the salesman was kind of pissed off that I talked her out of it because of that.
When we looked at the fit I put the stroller in standing up and laying down, and there is still room for groceries!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by J.M.P
Looks really clean. Go for it! What part of STL are you from?
Thank you! I live on the delmar loop

Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Also, another thing I really liked about it was the hatch room. Her cube had a ton of room, and we were originally going to trade it in on a nissan juke (I loved that an awd turbo still got 30mpg). We were about ready to sign on it and I said I want to see if the stroller fits in the back...... It had NO room, and the salesman was kind of pissed off that I talked her out of it because of that.
When we looked at the fit I put the stroller in standing up and laying down, and there is still room for groceries!
Thanks again! What is your take on the price?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks again! What is your take on the price?
I dont think its that bad. Now-a-days most dealers arent ripping people off when they trade a car in. So there really wont be all that much wiggle room when you go to look at it im sure.

My grandmother just traded in her 08 loaded v6 accord coupe in 2 weeks ago on a 2012 and she got $17,500 on the trade. Well where she traded it was the same place my wife bought her fit, and I saw it sitting there with a price of $18,999...... So thats not that much of a mark up on a car thats worth every penny. My buddy that works at the dealership called me a couple days ago and told me they sold the car for 18,500, so they did make $1000 on the car, but like I said it was well worth it as a low mile granny driven vehicle that had a much higher price tag when compaired to a fit.

With the miles on the car you're looking at, I would say that they probably got it pretty cheap..... but not as cheap as say, a chevy with the same miles. Hondas hold their value pretty well even in the 100k+ range.
Being its not brand new, "entry level" car I would see how they work with you. You probably wont be able to beat them up much on the price but any used car that you buy off of a dealer has some type of wiggle room. If you arent trading anything in on it you will do alot better for yourself when it comes to talking money.

Its as simple as "how low will you go"...... when they give you their best offer counter it with something a little lower. If its a straight cash deal, they will give you their best price up front. If you're going to make payments..... figure them out with your intrest rate...... and tell them you want it (just an example) $10 a month cheaper.

If they want to make a sale they'll help you out as much as possible. Buying a new or used car isnt quite like it used to be 10 years ago. The dealer wants to give you their best price (that they can knowing the buyer wants it cheaper), so there is less time wasted on making the deal happen.

In my area I just did the KBB and the price comes out to 10,100 for that car with 90000 miles, so Id say thats a pretty good deal if its in good overall shape. Shoot them an offer of 8,500 and go from there..... If you still pay 9,000 for it..... you still got a good deal!

Hope my ramblings help in some way .

Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
My '07 has almost 90k miles and has been FLAWLESS. My wife (then fiancee) talked me into getting the Honda extended warranty when we bought it, and I haven't filed a single claim. One of the best engineered cars I've ever owned. It's just so SIMPLE, but brilliant.

Oh, and as far as car seats go, Britax easily fits the best in the limited space. Incredibly easy to install, too (using LATCH at least).

Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Chairman Kaga
My '07 has almost 90k miles and has been FLAWLESS. My wife (then fiancee) talked me into getting the Honda extended warranty when we bought it, and I haven't filed a single claim. One of the best engineered cars I've ever owned. It's just so SIMPLE, but brilliant.

Oh, and as far as car seats go, Britax easily fits the best in the limited space. Incredibly easy to install, too (using LATCH at least).
My wife didnt understand why I told the salesman I didnt want the extended warranty..... I told her I have 183,xxx on my 91 prelude, had 100,xxx when I bought it and its still hasnt given me a problem. I have a 98 civic with 130,xxx on it and ive put 80,xxx problem free miles on it myself. I sold my 00 prelude before we got married 2 years ago and it had 63,xxx miles on it all by me.
If treated right, its not out of the ordinary to see 300,000+ on a honda. Ive even seen a couple at Prelude meets back in the day with over 400,000 on them. They may not be the fastest, or best looking cars on the road but they are about the longest lasting!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
I dont think its that bad. Now-a-days most dealers arent ripping people off when they trade a car in. So there really wont be all that much wiggle room when you go to look at it im sure.

My grandmother just traded in her 08 loaded v6 accord coupe in 2 weeks ago on a 2012 and she got $17,500 on the trade. Well where she traded it was the same place my wife bought her fit, and I saw it sitting there with a price of $18,999...... So thats not that much of a mark up on a car thats worth every penny. My buddy that works at the dealership called me a couple days ago and told me they sold the car for 18,500, so they did make $1000 on the car, but like I said it was well worth it as a low mile granny driven vehicle that had a much higher price tag when compaired to a fit.

With the miles on the car you're looking at, I would say that they probably got it pretty cheap..... but not as cheap as say, a chevy with the same miles. Hondas hold their value pretty well even in the 100k+ range.
Being its not brand new, "entry level" car I would see how they work with you. You probably wont be able to beat them up much on the price but any used car that you buy off of a dealer has some type of wiggle room. If you arent trading anything in on it you will do alot better for yourself when it comes to talking money.

Its as simple as "how low will you go"...... when they give you their best offer counter it with something a little lower. If its a straight cash deal, they will give you their best price up front. If you're going to make payments..... figure them out with your intrest rate...... and tell them you want it (just an example) $10 a month cheaper.

If they want to make a sale they'll help you out as much as possible. Buying a new or used car isnt quite like it used to be 10 years ago. The dealer wants to give you their best price (that they can knowing the buyer wants it cheaper), so there is less time wasted on making the deal happen.

In my area I just did the KBB and the price comes out to 10,100 for that car with 90000 miles, so Id say thats a pretty good deal if its in good overall shape. Shoot them an offer of 8,500 and go from there..... If you still pay 9,000 for it..... you still got a good deal!

Hope my ramblings help in some way .
Yes it did Thank you!!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Chairman Kaga

Thank you very much for clarifying about the car seat!! I will definitely keep Britax in my mind.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you very much for clarifying about the car seat!! I will definitely keep Britax in my mind.
We have Britax Marathons in both cars. Got them from Amazon.

I originally had a Safety1st convertible, which occupied so much space that the front passenger seat was forced all the way forward. My Fit was basically unusable! The Marathon, even rear-facing, leaves PLENTY of room for front seat passengers and it can be secured much more tightly. It of course has great reviews and government safety ratings. I couldn't recommend a car seat more!

And make sure your wife gets the "New Mom" shipping deal. Free shipping on baby stuff for a year!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Make sure it's a honda certified, and what they cover. Only thing I could see as coming back to bite you would be the transmission if it didn't get the trans fluid flushed, and if the valve spacing hasn't been fixed yet.

If it comes with warranty, don't worry so much, certified hondas come with great warranty on the electrical and drivetrain. Get it. My car is at 150K now, and it's an april 07 Japan made model. <3

Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
It's nothing to have 90K. My Fit has 100,280 and the only thing I've ever changed were the brake bads, oil obviously, and auto trans fluid. I'm the third owner of my CRX and the original owner had it from brand new up until 2009. I have all their maintenance records and it has 315,657 miles on it and runs as good as my Fit. Only thing it needs right now is maybe a new brake booster and master cylinder as the brakes aren't as firm as I think they should be. That's it. I've put 17,000 of those miles on the CRX myself.