1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Changing Antifreeze on my 2007 Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Changing Antifreeze on my 2007 Fit Sport

I would like to change the anti-freeze on my 2007 Fit Sport. I just went to the dealership to buy the pre-mixed coolant and the service manager told me that it would be better to have him flush the system than for me to change it. I thought that there was a block drain plug and a radiator cock and, if I drained those, I could just refill. Should I do as I thought? If so, how much coolant should I buy? Is the guy right about him doing the work?

It's $119 for the dealer to do this or, if 2 gallons are needed, $40 for me.

Look forward to your response.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
The block drain is almost impossible to get at. I did a drain and fill (radiator drain only). Drove to mix then did it again. This gets about the same percentage change as doing the block drain. Buy three gallons to do it this way, you'll have some left.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
On older Hondas the replacement procedure was to drain at the radiator only. But, because you didn't get all the old antifreeze out, you had to do this at a more frequent interval in the future (kinda like the ATF where one drain & fill only changes 50%).

I can tell you that the new OAT and HOAT coolants (like the Type II Honda stuff) are VASTLY superior to the old-time green coolants. Just look into the rad after you drain it...there will be no rust or scum buildup!

So my advice is to DIY now, and do it again in three years rather than six.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
On older Hondas the replacement procedure was to drain at the radiator only. But, because you didn't get all the old antifreeze out, you had to do this at a more frequent interval in the future (kinda like the ATF where one drain & fill only changes 50%).

I can tell you that the new OAT and HOAT coolants (like the Type II Honda stuff) are VASTLY superior to the old-time green coolants. Just look into the rad after you drain it...there will be no rust or scum buildup!

So my advice is to DIY now, and do it again in three years rather than six.

Thanks for your response! By do-it-yourself do you mean just drain at the radiator and fill? Should I try and remove the block drain or skip that part? And, lastly, about how much of the pre-mixed Honda coolant do you think I'll need?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
The block drain is almost impossible to get at. I did a drain and fill (radiator drain only). Drove to mix then did it again. This gets about the same percentage change as doing the block drain. Buy three gallons to do it this way, you'll have some left.
Thanks for the quick response! If I bypass the block drain and do a drain and fill at the radiator only, should how long should I dirve before doing it again?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mmitsch
Thanks for your response! By do-it-yourself do you mean just drain at the radiator and fill? Should I try and remove the block drain or skip that part? And, lastly, about how much of the pre-mixed Honda coolant do you think I'll need?
Yeah, just drain and fill the rad. Don't worry about the block.

I'd think the coolant capacity is in the owners manual (car and manual are not home this weekend, sorry). Haven't done our Fit yet, next summer is the time. Or, ask the dealer parts guy when you buy.

Regards when to do it the next time, I'd say to halve the initial interval (which is 6 years/120K on the CR-V, probably about 120K on the Mileage Minder. SEARCH here for a listing from one high mileage owner on when the maintenance items come up, and which codes they are)

Last edited by Carbuff2; 10-07-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mmitsch
Thanks for the quick response! If I bypass the block drain and do a drain and fill at the radiator only, should how long should I dirve before doing it again?
I did 5 miles on the interstate.