1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

new GD3 mod and maintenance suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
new GD3 mod and maintenance suggestions

Hi all! I'd like to give a big shout out to everyone who answered my questions and helped me figure out what I wanted in my new Fit. I just got it and I am ecstatic! It is a 2007 Storm Silver Metallic Fit Sport that looks like it's just come off the lot!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
As usual, I will do a bunch of searching in the forum but I still have many questions!

1) When I had the car inspected, they said the antifreeze was on the low side. I think the Honda fit requires a 50/50 mix water/antifreeze. What brand/type should I use? The garage mentioned Prestone.

2) You can't tell by the picture but the car is filthy! It needs a good cleaning/waxing before winter. What kind of shampoo/wax do you recommend for the delicate Fit paint job? What kind of applicator for the wax?

3) the boyfriend of the original owner was a car enthusiast and did a great job of painting the calipers and drums red! However, the calipers/drums are dirty. How would you go about cleaning the calipers, drums, rims and tires? I've heard of brake cleaner but I believe that's only for the inside of the calipers and drums. I simply want to clean the outside of the calipers and drums and OEM rims.

4) I want to buy a jack+jack stands to change my included snow tires. Anyone try any of the cheapo sets at canadian tire? Will a 2 ton jack suffice? Also, if you use the bent steel scissor jack lift points for the jack, under which part of the suspension/wheel would you place the jack-stand?

5) The previous owner has already added a nice center console but no dead pedal. I'm gonna order the zeta dead pedal + a bunch of OEM stuff. Where should I order my OEM stuff from? Collegehillshonda? Which is nicer, the OEM or Zeta rear bumper appliqué? Is there other Zeta stuff worth getting?

6) I have read through many of the DIY A/C condenser grill/protector mod threads. Many posters seem to have managed to install their grills/net without removing the bumper. Is this even possible on a GD3? If not, how does one remove the bumper?

7) would it be unwise to store the wheel lock key in the glovebox? I know wheel locks are only a deterrent and yada yada but I'm concerned that in the event of a flat tire, I will not be able to change it by the road and will be stuck up s#!t creek without a paddle.

8) the car is rather low to the ground and already, in my first day of ownership, I have scraped the bottom of the front bumper on my parents' driveway (pictured above). I can only imagine what it would be like in the winter. Is there any way to raise the car slightly, perhaps one inch? What do Fit owners do in the winter. Also, does anyone here use a car cover in the winter to protect the car from snow and ice? I've heard that having snow and ice on a car cover can actually be more damaging to a car than without. Is this true?

Thanks for you replies!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'll try to answer what I can

Originally Posted by MTLian
1) When I had the car inspected, they said the antifreeze was on the low side. I think the Honda fit requires a 50/50 mix water/antifreeze. What brand/type should I use? The garage mentioned Prestone.
Honda sells a pre-mixed type they call "Coolant/Antifreeze Type 2" and that's what they recommend in the owner's manual. You can buy a bottle of that and put it straight in. From what I've read, the Type 2 stuff is their all-weather variety. Since you live in Canada that's probably going to be best for you.

In my experience, though, I've used lots of other coolant types and have come away without any major problems. I've used Shell Coolguard OAT, which is a type you have to mix with water. Nowadays I use KYK "Raku Raku" (Easy Easy) All-Season Coolant, which is a pre-mixed type. I have a 5-liter bottle of the stuff at home.

2) You can't tell by the picture but the car is filthy! It needs a good cleaning/waxing before winter. What kind of shampoo/wax do you recommend for the delicate Fit paint job? What kind of applicator for the wax?
I'm not a detailing junkie but Turtle Wax worked well. Foam applicator pads for the wax will do.

3) the boyfriend of the original owner was a car enthusiast and did a great job of painting the calipers and drums red! However, the calipers/drums are dirty. How would you go about cleaning the calipers, drums, rims and tires? I've heard of brake cleaner but I believe that's only for the inside of the calipers and drums. I simply want to clean the outside of the calipers and drums and OEM rims.
A decent wheel cleaner will be fine.

4) I want to buy a jack+jack stands to change my included snow tires. Anyone try any of the cheapo sets at canadian tire? Will a 2 ton jack suffice?
2-ton jacks will be fine, the Fit weighs just 1050-1100 kg which is just a smidge over a ton and half the capacity of the jack you're eyeing.

7) would it be unwise to store the wheel lock key in the glovebox? I know wheel locks are only a deterrent and yada yada but I'm concerned that in the event of a flat tire, I will not be able to change it by the road and will be stuck up s#!t creek without a paddle.
When I still had wheel locks I put the key in the glovebox, but you can put it in a less conspicuous location like somewhere in the the rear cargo hold of the car.

8) the car is rather low to the ground and already, in my first day of ownership, I have scraped the bottom of the front bumper on my parents' driveway (pictured above). I can only imagine what it would be like in the winter.
...Which is why I haven't lowered mine, despite taking my GD to the track. There are too many humps that my GD scrapes on already at stock ride height; as much as possible I don't want to add to that number. I do realize that for my purposes I'd like stiffer springing up front, but coilovers are expensive.

Not sure if there's a way for you to raise the ride height, unfortunately.

By the way, congratulations on the car - your GD looks great! I hope it's a keeper.