1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Oil drain plug over tightened???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Some of you might already know this. Something I picked up along the way, an old low-tech mechanic trick/practice: Using a socket/ratchet wrench, depending on the length of the handle of course.
Hand over the socket and ratchet head while tightening - hand tight.
Hand at the middle of the handle - wrench tight.
Hand at the end of the handle - very tight.
Works for me. Want precision, then use a torque wrench.
Good tip Subie. I think they forgot the washer and over tighten the plug on the OP car.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
We've changed oil in thousands of cars and checked oil level after 5 to 50 miles driving by customers; we've never seen oil change color that fast either from good fresh oil like any from Havoline to Mobil 1.
I suspect several things none pleasant but I bet you replaced the oil plug because you boogered up the hex. Next time use a socket, 17mm if my memory serves. That applies to everyone who DIY oil and filter changes.
PS you did make sure you drained the oil into clean containers to return? That sample when analyzed on a mass spectrometer just might indicate very used oil.
That was my thinking. I have never seen "Honda" oil. I wonder who makes it out of what stocks. I guess that is not important. I do not want to get into an argument over this like the gasoline or tire subjects. But it will be interesting to see what an oil analysis shows.

You might state when you send it in, that the oil is supposed to be fresh "Honda" oil with next to no miles on it. Also ask for the spectrometer composition of new "Honda " oil if they have it. It might make an interesting comparison.

I once had a Toyota Dealer that I caught doing something like that. Prior to taking it in I put a green paint spot on the bottom of all of the plugs, the distributor cap, and on the wires under the insulator caps. I also put scotch tape on the back of the valve cover where it was hidden. I took the Toyota in with 6000 miles on it for a low compression problem on cylinder #3 that I suspected to be a bad head gasket. When I picked it up they said the problem was fixed with a valve adjustment and replacing the plugs and cap. I immediately took the dealership General Manager out and showed him the tape and removed the plug from the low compression cylinder. I asked about the green paint and then I pulled out a compression tester and did a compression test in front of him. It was still low. I never heard what happened to the service department manager or the mechanic. After my complaint to the Toyota Zone Office they had me take it to another dealer and they sent me an inconvenience check for $200.

The second dealer fixed it correctly and I bought 2 trucks and 3 more cars from them over the years.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Good trick.

My father once sent back a salad because he found a huge bug in it, but before he did I dumped tons of salt all over the salad.

When they brought it back, allegedly a new salad, guess what it tasted like...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
That was my thinking. I have never seen "Honda" oil. I wonder who makes it out of what stocks. I guess that is not important. I do not want to get into an argument over this like the gasoline or tire subjects. But it will be interesting to see what an oil analysis shows.

You might state when you send it in, that the oil is supposed to be fresh "Honda" oil with next to no miles on it. Also ask for the spectrometer composition of new "Honda " oil if they have it. It might make an interesting comparison.

I once had a Toyota Dealer that I caught doing something like that. Prior to taking it in I put a green paint spot on the bottom of all of the plugs, the distributor cap, and on the wires under the insulator caps. I also put scotch tape on the back of the valve cover where it was hidden. I took the Toyota in with 6000 miles on it for a low compression problem on cylinder #3 that I suspected to be a bad head gasket. When I picked it up they said the problem was fixed with a valve adjustment and replacing the plugs and cap. I immediately took the dealership General Manager out and showed him the tape and removed the plug from the low compression cylinder. I asked about the green paint and then I pulled out a compression tester and did a compression test in front of him. It was still low. I never heard what happened to the service department manager or the mechanic. After my complaint to the Toyota Zone Office they had me take it to another dealer and they sent me an inconvenience check for $200.

The second dealer fixed it correctly and I bought 2 trucks and 3 more cars from them over the years.
I've done the same thing more than once. Sad to say I got similar results except no 'inconvenience' checks. I used clear paint so it would not be obvious but the results were undeniable. A scarch works too, but the best I've heard is using ultraviolet paint.
For anyone of a similar bent, DO NOT let the offending dealer 'fix' the problem; go elsewhere.
BTW I love the salted bug story. Good for the 'library' of returns.

Last edited by mahout; 11-19-2012 at 10:50 AM.