1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Spark plug ejection w/ coil blow out

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:57 AM
Hello sirs and madams,
Have not posted in this forum in ages (at least 4-5 years.) But I'm bringing this thread back from the dead to comment that my mom's 2011 Honda Fit (now driven by my niece) just blew a spark plug out of the cylinder head w./ approx 75k miles. I have no idea whether these plugs were checked etc at the dealership under any kind of multi-point inspection during oil changes etc... what I DO know is that they are iridium plugs designed to go 100,000 miles + without ever needing to be changed. So it seems kind of odd that it would be a car owner's responsibility to check this. After checking with a certified Honda mechanic the shop she had it towed to is going to use a time-sert to fix the issue, but I wonder if it's going to happen again...
I haven't read the entirety of this thread but did anyone discover the root cause of this issue??

Old 10-06-2018, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sb001
Hello sirs and madams,
Have not posted in this forum in ages (at least 4-5 years.) But I'm bringing this thread back from the dead to comment that my mom's 2011 Honda Fit (now driven by my niece) just blew a spark plug out of the cylinder head w./ approx 75k miles. I have no idea whether these plugs were checked etc at the dealership under any kind of multi-point inspection during oil changes etc... what I DO know is that they are iridium plugs designed to go 100,000 miles + without ever needing to be changed. So it seems kind of odd that it would be a car owner's responsibility to check this. After checking with a certified Honda mechanic the shop she had it towed to is going to use a time-sert to fix the issue, but I wonder if it's going to happen again...
I haven't read the entirety of this thread but did anyone discover the root cause of this issue??
Outsourcing head machine work to China or third world country perhaps

Old 10-06-2018, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
My guess is that the head threads are too soft, but that's just a guess. My sons 2009 had a plug come loose. It threw a mis-fire code and fortunately didn't blow out, but it was half-way out of the hole and the plug next to it wasn't tight either. For Honda to say that the owner should periodically check these plugs is ridiculous since it's major surgery for the home mechanic to get to them. Our Fit was destroyed in an accident and I'll never buy another Honda automotive. Love their motorcycles, but had numerous paint issue, body rattles, and loose plugs, so no thank you. Even the plugs in my 1997 Craftsman lawn tractor don't come lose.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
sb001,
Although the owners manual recommends changing spark plugs at 100k miles, when you buy the OEM spark plugs, they say they should be changed at 100k KILOMETERS (60k miles). While I don’t think the spark plugs are likely to work themselves out as they age, it would shorten the service interval and possibly catch improper installation more quickly.

Personally, I think they just didn’t torque the plugs tight enough at the factory. Mine had symptoms, that in retrospect, suggested that they were slowly working themselves out. Mine blew at ~80k.

Good luck on the fix. Hopefully it works. Ours has run flawlessly for the 45k miles since I personally installed new plugs and torqued them to spec.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
My guess is that the head threads are too soft, but that's just a guess. My sons 2009 had a plug come loose. It threw a mis-fire code and fortunately didn't blow out, but it was half-way out of the hole and the plug next to it wasn't tight either. For Honda to say that the owner should periodically check these plugs is ridiculous since it's major surgery for the home mechanic to get to them. Our Fit was destroyed in an accident and I'll never buy another Honda automotive. Love their motorcycles, but had numerous paint issue, body rattles, and loose plugs, so no thank you. Even the plugs in my 1997 Craftsman lawn tractor don't come lose.
I wish I'll buy 1975 Datsun B210 (Nissan Sunny) Hatchback (37MPG) next!

Old 09-07-2020, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by tjones
I've been reading about the coil problems, and had some of the same symptoms recently. Before I had a chance to take the car in (we're pretty remote), BOOM, and the car sounded like a helicopter. Looked under the hood and the coil was blown off, with the spark plug missing. The car has 82,000 miles and I have not touched the plugs. Any ideas on causes and whether I should expect honda to remedy the situation? It also had a slight exhaust/gas smell when at a stop, so I'm thinking the plug had been working it's way loose for a while and finally blew out of the head. I had asked a honda dealer service about the smell and they just said the exhaust was being sucked under the car and back in through the vents. Brilliant.

It's a 2008 Sport AT.
my mom's is a 2007 honda fit, Anna were recently did a tune up, 2 days later a brave new plug for the exact thing. Or mechanic friends was able to remove all the pieces from the l and get the remaining plug that was still screwed in, out. They got it replaced and within 24 hours it did the same exact thing! Please if y'all have any info as to how to fix this issue?

​​