1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2005 Jazz RHD Radio Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 AM
2005 Jazz RHD Radio Removal

I have a 2005 1.3 CVT model Australian version, a wonderful, economical little runabout, which I intend to have till about 2020. Currently doing some upgrades. I have bought a kit to add an iPod connector to my radio. That requires me to remove the radio from the dash. I got out the one screw under the air con. controls, but am having trouble after that. I watched the US YouTube video with LHD later model, suggesting there are two more screws up under there to undo before one pulls off the radio trim and pulls the radio out. My model is a bit different to the one in the video. I think there might be 2 screws or bolts up under there, but by golly they are well hidden if they are I am trying to use a socket set by feel, since I can't even see one of these, but can't even tell when the socket is in place. Can't seem to get a grip on them with the socket.

Can anyone offer advice please?

Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
Get a mirror and look. There is 2 screws that are very very hard to get to. I couldn't even get them back on so I gave up on that. Although I should put it back since it holds it all together. RHD should be the same way. I don't see why it would be different.

Actually I found the instructions, so same applies for RHD
Dashboard Center Panel Removal/Installation

Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 AM
Will get a torch and a mirror and have a look. The glove box instructions don't ring true with my initial observation, but will look more closely.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Did it!

Gosh, that is one really hard job. The mirror helped, along with a decent LED torch. I eventually got the little bolts to move, one with a Phillips driver and one with an 8mm socket [one of my 8mm sockets wouldn't grip it, so I was lucky I had a second set]. Then there's the bottom glove box which pops out with force. All that took a few hours. Then there's the facia unit to pull out. If I hadn't been assured by the YouTube video and elsewhere that you can exert as much force as you like without breaking it, I would definitely have given up on trying to remove that. After lots of hard yanking and bracing my feet agains the car, it eventually shifted. Fitting the ipod/aux unit to the back of the radio and getting it working was child's play - and the work of seconds - by comparison. The ipod box works well, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I can rotate through playlists via the radio buttons in the Honda.

This is not a job I would recommend to others. I'd be scared to exert that much force on a new car for instance. And I didn't bother putting those bolts back in: i'm just not that masochistic!

Last edited by PMinAU; 04-06-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure how your glove box is, but I just have one glove box, not a top or bottom. If you were scared of breaking it, there were 2 screws on the bottom of the glove box you could've removed.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Mine has two parts, with one lid. There is a definite top glove box and bottom. The bottom pulls out, held by a few clips. No screws involved. It's actually as described [the "inner glove box"] in one part of your earlier link Dashboard Center Panel Removal/Installation Getting it out was easy compared to getting the radio out

Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 AM
Banned
ADM models have two glove box sections.