1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Diagnose Speed Sensor issue for new owner (P0500 VSS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Diagnose Speed Sensor issue for new owner (P0500 VSS)

Hi all. I have searched, I promise, and I did not find anything that I found to be what I was searching for, so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered somewhere.

I am a Honda Fit owner for the first time as of a week ago. I bought a 2007 and I know nothing about these cars, however, the one that I bought has been run into the ground, wrecked, got an R title and then, run into the ground again, inside and out. I am fixing things up to the best of my ability to make it a good little car for me. If you guys love your cars, you would hate to see mine, it is quite a shame what this kid did to this car.

I have owned over 50 cars, I am 33 years old, I live in PA. I have had everything from Honda Civics to Toyota Supras, to LS1 powered FD RX7s. I bought this car intending it to replace my current daily driver, 2001 Honda Civic EX.

Since my first test drive, the speedometer was dancing. If I was going a certain speed and not hitting hard on the gas, it would be fine - if I gave it excessive throttle, it would spike up and be jumpy.

Two days after purchasing the car, the speedometer stopped working (and odometer as well, which I expected), and the check engine light came on, with code P0500 - speed sensor malfunction. Since then, it has been intermittent.

I have noticed, however, that when it is not working, my radio seems to be full of static, like a bad grounding issue almost. When it is working, the radio plays great.

I have also noticed that it is most commonly not working when I first start the car, and then when the car warms up and I have been driving for a bit, I have the best chances of it actually working.

I am currently unfamiliar with where the VSS is even located. I have seen a couple of pictures on here, but I am still uncertain of what I am looking for. Most threads that I found about the VSS and speed sensor were related to aftermarket radio installations, so I didn't think they applied to me. My car does have a factory radio. I would like to remove the VSS and clean it up and try it again before I go purchasing another. Because of an aftermarket K&N Intake on this car, I think I have a pretty clear shot in the engine bay, so if anyone can show me in a picture where it is exactly, that would be helpful. Or if I should take a picture of my engine bay and it can be pointed out, that would be great as well.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I wanted to introduce myself a bit and also be as descriptive as possible. I wanted to resolve this issue today while it is nice out, if possible.

Thank you for reading.
Nick

Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 AM
Banned
It's on the top of your transmission. See this page for not too helpful photo

Must be in IE to see the photos VSS Replacement (5MT)

Here is checking P 0500

DTC Troubleshooting: P0500 (17-1) (5MT)

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 AM
While it's likely the least of your worries, you could probably get the radio playing properly by turning on the speed-sensing volume control off. It's the last option you can set with the audio adjustments menu/control (the button with the eighth note and loudspeaker icons—press it repeatedly to SVC and use the big knob to set it to off).

Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 AM
loudbang - thank you for the the links - I had both of them bookmarked already. On the top of my transmission, from the engine bay, there appears to be one sensor that is easily reached. I disconnected the clip and wire from it and it did not throw a check engine code and it also was reading my speedometer fine (I guess it was one of those intermittent times when the sensor decided it was going to work) - so I had to assume that sensor that I could see was definitely not the speed sensor. Maybe there is something that isn't in my direct view.

DrewE - thank you, I am going to do that right now!

Old 06-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Here is something interesting, however, from the very first part of the DTC Troubleshooting P0500:
1. Test-drive the vehicle.
2. Check the vehicle speed with the scan tool.
Is the correct speed indicated?
YES - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose wires at the VSS and at the ECM.
Since I didn't know where the ECM is located (sorry, ugh), I Googled it and I found a response that was from this forum that said:
its on the passenger side kick panel, its tucked in there
This would not seem interesting, normally, EXCEPT that out of my entire interior, the ONLY piece/panel that I can find missing, is the passenger kick panel. I can only assume that the ECM has been tampered with at some point. I am excited to get outside and check into this, but I have company over and they are still sleeping! LOL - don't want to go downstairs and wake anyone up.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Well, the connections at the ECM all seemed good. I next removed the head unit / CD player and checked everything there, and all connections seemed good there. I managed, however, to go ahead (not thinking) and disconnect the plugs from the head unit, so now I have no stereo, because I do not know the unlock code. Going to call Honda tomorrow and hope they can help me to at least get my radio back.

DrewE - thank you for that advice - I did at least take care of turning SVC to off before I went ahead and locked up my stereo, lol

Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Stereo all fixed up. Speed sensor still a POS. Haven't seen my MPH since Saturday afternoon. Autozone wants $121+tax for one and it is special order, will take two days. I still don't even know where my current one is to check it out and clean it, etc. That is why I thought of purchasing one, just so I can see exactly what it looks like so I can identify it.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Banned
Take out the battery tray and look down.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Take out the battery tray and look down.
Thank you, will check it out this afternoon!

Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Here are two pictures of battery tray removed, looking down.

closer

The two wire connector on the top of the transmission is the one that I unclipped and still got a speedometer reading that day, so I eliminated that one as the sensor that I was looking for.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
loudbang - Now that I went back and re-read your first reply to me, I see that I needed to be in IE to view the pictures - that explains why those pictures weren't working for me a few days ago, lol

Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM
So - here we go -

I have disconnected it, and I have removed the 10mm bolt that holds it in, but I am unable to remove the sensor. It has a valley underneath of it, which is nice, so I can actually put one of my SK screwdrivers across the bottom to try to pry up on it, but it will not come out, it will lift at the mounting hole about 1/8" inch or so, enough that I know I am putting quite a bit of stress on it, but I worry that I am going to physically break it into two pieces if I put any more force into it - and then I will never be able to get it out.

The fact that it is in there so tightly, I assume, it also the answer to my problem ? Binded up ?

Any suggestions ?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Broke it, lol.

New one will be here on Thursday afternoon. $121+tax!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Banned
If that "GREEN STUFF" inside the connector is corrosion looks like that may have been the problem to begin with. Clean that baby before installing the new sensor.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by loudbang
If that "GREEN STUFF" inside the connector is corrosion looks like that may have been the problem to begin with. Clean that baby before installing the new sensor.
Thank you. I have cleaned the connector very well. The old sensor is unfortunately unusable. New sensor gets here tomorrow. We are expecting some big storms, so even though I would like to get it done tomorrow, can't promise any updates. I still don't even know for sure how I am getting the old sensor out of there, especially now that the plastic "tab" is broken off - but if we get crazy rain storms, I certainly will be putting the project off until the weekend.

In other news, I had a muffler and piping installed on the car today, since the previous owner had taken it off from the axle back. Much quieter now

Just have to figure out speed sensor, ABS light, Air bag light, and Interior light, lol!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Well, at my expense of $128 (after sales tax) - we were able to determine that the sensor did not need replaced, because the new one had the same problem. We ran through the tests then of the DTC P0500 troubleshooting and had no luck. I almost ordered a new ECM, but then instead, we started testing voltages to wires going to the VSS, and we learned that one of the wires was not doing what it was supposed to do Was a simple fix, a broke wire, just took some narrowing down. Good news is that I have a speedometer that works now.

Out of the other problems remaining, I would REALLY love to have a nice working dome light. Bulb looks good. I haven't figured out which fuse is for it yet - none are labeled dome light or interior light.

Thank you everyone, for your help on the VSS.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Have the same issue. Where exactly was the wire short located?

Hello, .I have the exact same problem on my beat up fit. Where exactly was the wire short? I want to start by looking there.
i appreciate your rep!y and help!
Thanks
Chance