1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Upgrades for better performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Upgrades for better performance

Could anyone talk about or direct me to a site which can provide information on what parts would need to be upgraded on a 2007 fit to increase acceleration speed and handling. I do not have too much knowledge on car upgrades and would like to make an educated decision on whether I should put money into my fit or just continue with routine maintenance.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Hi there!

Your already on the right site, you will just need to do some searching, and more importantly manage your expectations.

The Fit is an Econo Box. It's fun to chuck around thanks to a decently stiff chassis, and its quick 0-40mph due to short gearing.

If you want a "10 sec car" or to "smoke people" buy a faster car/crotch rocket.

If you want to enjoy 30+MPG and occasional fun on twisty roads, or do well in a AutoX style short technical course, we can help you! Few things:

1.Budget?
2.Intended use?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Hi...thanks for the response

I'm looking for the latter...30+MPG and occasional fun on twisty roads, or doing well in a AutoX style short technical course.

Budget is around 5K

Intended use would be just for getting around. Nothing too serious.

I have had the car for seven years and its become a bumpy ride and needs a bit more zip. I'm just looking for some improvement in the overall driving experience.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
This!^

As with TP, you are already on the correct site!
I wish I had a budget like yours! But for 5k I can think of these things to make your little GD a bit more enjoyable:

1. Light wheels combined with good tires
2. Coilovers or a good shock/spring combo
3. I/H/E combined with Hondata
4. Chassis stiffening products (i.e. sway bars, strut bars)

You don't need a lot to make our cars fun, just the simple upgrades will suffice.
And browse through our classified section for good deals or even your local Craigslist might have some gems.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
Everything jmsplitfyre and TPColgett mentioned will add to the fun. The most noticeable mods for me were the Rear Swaybar, light wheels, and the Hondata Flashpro. Lowered suspension and sticky tires will help in the twisties. I/H/E make everything all that much sweeter!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with everyone else on these mods. I would also recommend using colder spark plugs as well if you plan on switching to a higher octane fuel as well. Enjoy your ride!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre

1. Light wheels combined with good tires

What do the OEM wheels weigh and what would a reasonably priced after-market wheel weigh? Obviously, I don't want to spend top dollar on racing spec wheels, but, like the OP, leverage cost against gain in a conservative ratio.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Oem rims weigh in around 14lbs per wheel. Rims such as enkei rpf1s weigh in at 9obs pet rim. You're looking at 800 for the whole set not including tires

Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
9lbs per* Damn auto correct

Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by thasniperwolf
Oem rims weigh in around 14lbs per wheel. Rims such as enkei rpf1s weigh in at 9obs pet rim. You're looking at 800 for the whole set not including tires

base model 15" steelies are approx 17.2 pounds each. The 16" alloys on the sports weight about 2 pounds more

Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Enkei RPF1's are pretty light @ 15x7's.
My Konig Lightspeeds weigh close to 12lbs. @ 15x7.5's.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I'd like to thank all who helped out. I think this answered all my questions and had pointed me in the right direction.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pippins
I'd like to thank all who helped out. I think this answered all my questions and had pointed me in the right direction.
Glad to here it!

Honestly, RPF 1's in 15x7 with some 205 50 UHP tires (tread wear <400 is ideal), Redshift Motorsport Koni Coil overs, A Hondata with a re flash, Denso IK-22 Spark plugs and 91 Octane (or higher) and an Intake and Exhaust of your choice will be under your budget and TRANSFORM the car!!!

I'd do it in mostly that order as well

Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Glad to here it!

Honestly, RPF 1's in 15x7 with some 205 50 UHP tires (tread wear <400 is ideal), Redshift Motorsport Koni Coil overs, A Hondata with a re flash, Denso IK-22 Spark plugs and 91 Octane (or higher) and an Intake and Exhaust of your choice will be under your budget and TRANSFORM the car!!!

I'd do it in mostly that order as well
Whoa whoa whoa! Redshift carries Konis for our generation?!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Those Konis do not have adjustable body height/size

Hop on ebay and check out cxracing coilovers for our cars. They use 335 pound springs front and back for a very nice balanced handling package

Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
buy the supercharger from OrangeGD3

Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre
Whoa whoa whoa! Redshift carries Konis for our generation?!
I am running the Koni Yellow rear shocks on my 2008 Sport right now and am VERY happy with them. They could be "shorter" if you wanted to go "super low" and a little DIY is involved to install bump stops and dust shields, but they are a 100% improvement to the car!!! Also, Redshift coils will fit on the front end. Spring length just changes between GD and GE. I think the Koni inserts may be on back order though.

Originally Posted by 13fit
Those Konis do not have adjustable body height/size

Hop on ebay and check out cxracing coilovers for our cars. They use 335 pound springs front and back for a very nice balanced handling package
True for the rear shocks, but they compress identically as far as stock ones so there is no loss. Again, unless you want to go STUPID low, then there is no reason to not run a fixed body length shock...

And yea.... CXRacing is not a brand I ever recommend... There stuff is cheap for a reason. They have OK inter cooler cores, and have been attempting to increase there quality lately, but to be blunt, you pay for what you get when it comes to suspension.

The only "cheap" coils that look solid and have favorable views are the T1R basics that were/are doing the group buy... but there is odd stuff going on in that thread at the moment as well

Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM
So I started to do research on some of the recommendations and had some questions.

1. With the rims should I aim for a particular weight? I was looking at the Konig - Forward rims which are bout 14 lbs. I have the stock rims on the sport now so I think I save about 5lbs a rim. Would 2 lbs actually make a substantial difference if I went with a lighter rim?

2. With the hondadata. Is this something that is absolutely necessary to install. What is the ultimate benefit of getting this? would I need a ton of know how to configure the car or would I need a professional to do this. Finally would I need to constantly tune the car. I am not entierly sure how the hondadata works.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett

And yea.... CXRacing is not a brand I ever recommend... There stuff is cheap for a reason. They have OK inter cooler cores, and have been attempting to increase there quality lately, but to be blunt, you pay for what you get when it comes to suspension.

The only "cheap" coils that look solid and have favorable views are the T1R basics that were/are doing the group buy... but there is odd stuff going on in that thread at the moment as well

Ive experienced firsthand quite a few CXRacing products.

No issues in the past. Couple returns/replacements here and there, but they did step up and take care of issues. I certainly would NOT mark them as a high quality one stop shop, but I do think you are being a bit biased towards other brands.

I would put their current offering much higher then other cheap brands (Megan comes to mind)

You are right though, the "old" CXRacing was eager to stock damn near anything to make money, but they never came off as shoddy or whatnot. And they answer their phones

EDIT
Originally Posted by Pippins
So I started to do research on some of the recommendations and had some questions.

1. With the rims should I aim for a particular weight? I was looking at the Konig - Forward rims which are bout 14 lbs. I have the stock rims on the sport now so I think I save about 5lbs a rim. Would 2 lbs actually make a substantial difference if I went with a lighter rim?

2. With the hondadata. Is this something that is absolutely necessary to install. What is the ultimate benefit of getting this? would I need a ton of know how to configure the car or would I need a professional to do this. Finally would I need to constantly tune the car. I am not entierly sure how the hondadata works.

check out good-win-racing.com and check out the 90-05 miata wheels. They are aftermarket, not factory wheels. Try and shoot for a pound per inch of rim or less. Rim weight helps everywhere, better gas mileage, better acceleration, better braking, better handling, more responsive bump handling, etc... The impact depends ont eh weight reduction. 2 pounds can be felt around corners, but may not be felt by some cars in a straight line (accelerating, braking). 4 pounds lost can be massive on some cars

Lots of benefits. the only negative is cost!!

Hondata is a car changer for sure. Much more response is available, better power and efficiency, and through that, better gas mileage.

You get a basemap when you get it. You can always return the tune to factory if you think you screwed up. Take your time learning, it is a great tool to use, but to make it effective it needs to work well. There are many guides out there to help you, research is key. Lots of tricks in tuning to get more potential out of the engine!!

Last edited by 13fit; 07-18-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
Hondata is a car changer for sure. Much more response is available, better power and efficiency, and through that, better gas mileage.

You get a basemap when you get it. You can always return the tune to factory if you think you screwed up. Take your time learning, it is a great tool to use, but to make it effective it needs to work well. There are many guides out there to help you, research is key. Lots of tricks in tuning to get more potential out of the engine!!

Back to the hondata. If I leave off getting this for a while will it have a tremendous impact on performance. Say I upgrade I/H/E, Rims, tires, suspension can I hold off on getting the hondata for half a year or is it pointless to do the other upgrades without the hondata?

Quick Reply: Upgrades for better performance