1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Needs Advice: Replacing stock shocks to coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 AM
LM_
Needs Advice: Replacing stock shocks to coilovers

Hi.. I know very little about the suspension system. I have been told by a technician that I need to change the shock absorbers both front side because after passing humps it doesn't go smoothly and there's a painful sound lol.

I'm planning to change to coilovers complete set I think it was skunk2 that I was quoted from outside. Its a little pricey compared to the stock ones but do you think its worth it? What are the benefits from changing from stock to these coilovers? I don't have any idea. Should I stick to changing only to a stock shock absorber front side?

If I change it not to stock ones and it would give me good driving experience then I wouldn't mind the price... My jazz is a 2007 1.5 gd spec and has now 110km miles.

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LM_
Hi.. I know very little about the suspension system. I have been told by a technician that I need to change the shock absorbers both front side because after passing humps it doesn't go smoothly and there's a painful sound lol.

I'm planning to change to coilovers complete set I think it was skunk2 that I was quoted from outside. Its a little pricey compared to the stock ones but do you think its worth it? What are the benefits from changing from stock to these coilovers? I don't have any idea. Should I stick to changing only to a stock shock absorber front side?

If I change it not to stock ones and it would give me good driving experience then I wouldn't mind the price... My jazz is a 2007 1.5 gd spec and has now 110km miles.

Thanks.
Coil over shocks are the rolls royces of shocks because they usually let you adjust the ride height but the shocks may be - or not be - the best shock absorbers. Generally, Bilstein, Koni, and KYB are preferred brands of shocks for Fits and are available without coil over springs. KYB is likely the provider of the OEM shocks on your car. Personally, I'd recommend the KYB AGX adjustable shocks and if you want to lower get lowering springs. Both are available at least in the states at very reasonable prices, typically $USD 400 for the shocks and $200 for springs compared to E$1000 for coil overs. We find tuning the shock absorbers are a lot more beneficial than coil overs.
good luck.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 AM
LM_
Originally Posted by mahout

Coil over shocks are the rolls royces of shocks because they usually let you adjust the ride height but the shocks may be - or not be - the best shock absorbers. Generally, Bilstein, Koni, and KYB are preferred brands of shocks for Fits and are available without coil over springs. KYB is likely the provider of the OEM shocks on your car. Personally, I'd recommend the KYB AGX adjustable shocks and if you want to lower get lowering springs. Both are available at least in the states at very reasonable prices, typically $USD 400 for the shocks and $200 for springs compared to E$1000 for coil overs. We find tuning the shock absorbers are a lot more beneficial than coil overs.
good luck.
Can I buy the KYB AGX from honda spare parts? thank you.

I don't want to lower because my previous experience with lowered cars were horrible.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LM_
Can I buy the KYB AGX from honda spare parts? thank you.

I don't want to lower because my previous experience with lowered cars were horrible.

If you were to buy from a Honda dealer he would get them same way you would by ordering from an aftermarket seller such as TireRack, DiscountAutoParts, Autozone, etc. The AGX is not one of Honda parts.
And your past bad experiences with lowering was probably the result of lowering more than about an inch; more than that has problems with the suspension geometry.
Surely KYB has retailers of their products convenient to you.
Good luck.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Banned
First check the space under your hood at the top of the strut. Where the strut comes up through the fender top there is a rubber "top" on the strut tip with the nut holding the top of the strut.

As the damper mounting cushion wears the space between the "top" damper mounting base increases. It should be only like 1/8 inch if it is larger than that you can get rid of the noise by replacing the damper mounting cushion.

See this page but to see the photos you MUST open in IE. to see the photos click on the small grey squares on the left.

Front Damper/Spring Replacement

Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 AM
LM_
Hi loudbang!

I think your idea is cheaper than replacing the whole thing. I'll ask the technician to check and if he can do it.

If I plan to leave changing the shocks for 3-5mons would it get worse or create new problems?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
First check the space under your hood at the top of the strut. Where the strut comes up through the fender top there is a rubber "top" on the strut tip with the nut holding the top of the strut.

As the damper mounting cushion wears the space between the "top" damper mounting base increases. It should be only like 1/8 inch if it is larger than that you can get rid of the noise by replacing the damper mounting cushion.

See this page but to see the photos you MUST open in IE. to see the photos click on the small grey squares on the left.

Front Damper/Spring Replacement

The images are opening for me in Safari.

You have to support the knuckle or the A-arm during disassembly, don't you? It says to use a jack to compress the shock during installation/assembly, but I'm thinking you need support there during disassembly as well. True?

Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 AM
Banned
Yep this is the tricky part. You need to lower the arm far enough to get the strut top out with enough clearance to get the old cushion out and the new one in BUT you are getting REAL close to the point where the axle pops out and they can be a pain to get back in.

ps. good to know that they can be seen with safari. they can be seen with firefox but you need a plug in to convert IE things.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
I forgot about about the axle popping out.

Messing with suspension makes me nervous: 1) alignment issues, 2) axle popping out. But I would like to learn the skills to do it.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk
I forgot about about the axle popping out.

Messing with suspension makes me nervous: 1) alignment issues, 2) axle popping out. But I would like to learn the skills to do it.

Virtually every case where we were called to reset the axle it was the result of the DIYer not properly anchoring the hub. Bungy cords do an excellent job but note that excessiuve movement of the hub is not useful.
When the hub is anchored exchanging shocks is a cinch.
When the bolts are inserted and loosely tiughtened bolts be sure to compress the hub against the spring until the suspension is well suporting the car before tightenimng to torque specs, 75-80 lbft if I remember. Don't forget to align at least the toe after exchanging shocks too.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 PM
LM_
Originally Posted by mahout
If you were to buy from a Honda dealer he would get them same way you would by ordering from an aftermarket seller such as TireRack, DiscountAutoParts, Autozone, etc. The AGX is not one of Honda parts. And your past bad experiences with lowering was probably the result of lowering more than about an inch; more than that has problems with the suspension geometry. Surely KYB has retailers of their products convenient to you. Good luck.
Anyone have the part number for kyv agx?

Thanks!