1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

60 MPH Shudder/Hesitation '07 Auto Trans 192k

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 01:45 AM
60 MPH Shudder/Hesitation '07 Auto Trans 192k

A good friend of mine bought this new, and sure do drive alot! Anyhow, sometime ago their son changed a coil due to a hesitation, and the same or similar prob has come up. I wish I knew more details, but I don't.

So they passed by today, and I filled up the tank and went for a spin... And sure enuff, at 60-65 there's the hesitation/shudder. It goes up thru the gears nicely, locking up as it should, and on flat ground, light acceleration there's the judder/shudder. A tad more throttle unlocks the TC, and if going uphill it shifts down to 3rd. The sour spot is def 60-65, and I produced a video to demonstrate...

Old 12-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Do these cars have torque converters? Maybe the newest ones I think. But for an 07 it's probably a computer shifted clutch or a continuously variable transmission. You don't say when you had the transmission fluid changed. Or how frequently it was changed during its 192k life.

Hypothetically, if I woke up one morning and found that I had bought an auto Fit I would be changing the trans oil asap, and would keep changing the oil at half the recommended oil change interval. Using the Honda AT oil of course. Being an auto oil changes are that much easier and cheaper than having the transmission go bad.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 PM
I have no records of any maintenance. It's my friend car, and her husband passed away a couple of days earlier. He was aware of maintenance requirements, but it wasn't really the time to ask. It is NOT a CVT, I could feel the shifts. I totally agree the the trans oil needs to be changed, but she had other more important things on her mind.
He son, who is very mechanically inclined said it was a coil, or coil pack. She had the part, but I didn't have the time to address it. She lives a distance away, and has a very busy life. I would like nothing more than to help her out, but we are going away and have lots to do, and some things have to fall by the wayside...

Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 AM
You may well have a proper auto box with a torque converter and these are the best autos IMHO. I think the computer shifted clutch transmissions have flappy paddles on the steering wheel I would avoid these like the plague.

Maybe the box is just worn at 197k miles, nothing lasts forever. I would change the trans oil if you're unsure when it was last changed. I would only use Honda ATF oil.

I note that your airbag error warning light is lit!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:18 AM
The shudder could be a coil issue, relating to the engine, not the tranny

Old 12-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Could also be bad spark plugs or plug wires. I wouldn't replace just the coil, 'cause if you have a bad plugs or plug wires that could have damaged your coil/s to start with. Best to put an OBDII scanner on it and check for engine misfire codes.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 PM
It runs too well at all other speeds, but it needs to be scanned, I agree

Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Hey guys I am new here, but I have information on this problem as my car does this as well.

I have an Ultra Gauge on my 2007 Fit Sport. It throws the OBDII codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304 and these codes mean that the cylinders are misfiring.

There are several possible things that can cause this. 1 is obviously a faulty coil. The second option is bad plugs or wires. However, a 3rd and maybe less obvious cause is a faulty VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The VSS does exactly what it says - it detects vehicle speed. If this sensor is malfunctioning it will think the vehicle is travelling faster than it should thus cutting spark, thereby causing a misfire. My money is on the Coil or the VSS.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:37 PM
My friends son may hv already chngd the coil, he said it was that, but he was out of town when I made the vid. I'm wtng f an update

Old 12-17-2013, 01:03 PM
So I just bought a used 07 sport fit with 90k miles. It's a AT with the shifters on the side. Everything has been smooth I've had it less than a week, but the problem your mentioning happened to me at 60 MPH also. It kinda shutters twice and continues to roll on. Im going to auto zone and have them look up any codes since nothing is showing.

Car is under a 30 day warrenty so If this is an actual problem and the car naturally dosen't go through this process I need to know ASAP.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Seattlefootclan, I would be willing to bet you are going to get the misfire OBDII code. Tracing the route of the problem down will be the feat since it could be a number of things. If you get any more info please let us know what you find out.

BTW, my car used to do this only around the 60mph mark. Then one day it stopped doing it altogether. Just a week or so ago it started doing it quite a bit at different speeds, anywhere from 35mph - 65mph. The VSS is relatively inexpensive to replace (if you do it yourself) for an A/T. For a M/T the price is significantly higher.

I am going to do more investigation before I start replacing parts.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Finally my prob (really friends car) is getting some traction

Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I have about 2weeks so hopefully something shows up on the scanner so I can drive it right back to were I dropped 8.3k for it and have them replace whatever or their going to face a law-suit through wells fargo.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Ok I have done more searching.

Here is a thread on these forums for the exact issue:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...esitation.html

Below is the coil pack to fix the problem.
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beck Arnley 178-8374 Direct Ignition Coil

This seems to work according to the reviews on the coil pack.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Here's a mssg I just got from my friends son >>> thanks for the link. still having problems with the fit. havent seen your vid yet but will soon... i replaced 3 of the coils bc that has worked in the past and we were getting new imbalance codes for those cylinders. but the stuttering and hesitation is still pretty bad... plus i put some new double platinum plugs in.. still no change... i have one other good coil i can swap in for the 4th cylinder but still not hopeful its going to remedy the situation at this point. according to that thread it could be vss... but it studders in park even if you just punch the gas. tricky little problem. and despite the new coils i am still getting those cylinder imbalance codes. hope all is well... <<<

Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 AM
replace all 4 coil packs with OEM, perform valve adjust.

-honda technician

Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Valves need adjustment after only 192K?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD
Valves need adjustment after only 192K?
Off the top of my head i dont remember the exact service interval for valve adjust on the fit, but its usually around 100k miles, let alone from the factory i always find these Fits having really shitty valve lashes.
But back to OP, yes loose or tight valves can also cause misfiring and stumbling/hesitation issues along with the shitty coils.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 AM
I was being sarcastic, the engine runs quietly, as I recall. Wouldn't loose valve lash exhibit some ticking/clatter?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
I feel in need to share my finding and hope it helps others out there:

Based on what you're seeing and feeling I'd recommend:

1) do a 3x drain and fill on the transmission, being careful to not overfill and using HONDA fluid, no additives

2) change the ATF filter....you do have one, check a diagram at Bernardiparts.com to find it

Personally I think the issue revolves around the coils, plugs and valvetrain, so:

3) replace the plugs and packs yourself (or friend) to ensure OEM parts are going in and that they are torqued to spec (get a torque wrench)

reason: Took my fit for recall work...got it back and ever since have had a fuel vapor leak from someowhere....of course they say it wasnt them but 40k LATER I got a CEL misfire on 3. Tore it down to find the spark plug was rather loose and the coil pack covered in soot and carbon. changed them out and put it all back together and not only is it running well, better than before, but my Fuel trims have lowered, indicating a small air leak has been eliminated.

4)get a valve adjustment.....unfortunately our cars call for these every 40k....if you car has 192k on it, I doubt it's had the valves adjusted 5 times...

Quick Reply: 60 MPH Shudder/Hesitation '07 Auto Trans 192k