1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Can I use super glue to fix cracks on my engines air filter housing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Can I use super glue to fix cracks on my engines air filter housing?

I noticed that my air filter housing has 2 cracks on front part, as if someone forced the air filter out of the housing.

Can I use super glue to glue the cracks?

I also wonder if that, combined with winter fuel here in Montana is causing me to get around 100 miles to a half tank...ughh!

Thanks

2008 Honda Fit Sport
Automatic.

Last edited by Letsclique; 02-08-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Misspelling in Title.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
damn i wish i was getting 100 mpg, let me put some cracks in my intake.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Don't use super glue, I would use one of the JB weld products. Also, he is not getting 100mpg, he is getting 100 miles for half a tank.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM
There's nothing magical about the air filter housing; it's just a plastic box. Any appropriate adhesive suitable for (ABS?) plastic should be fine. I don't think ordinary plain JB Weld adheres well to plastics (as is true of many epoxy-based products), but probably some of their other more specialized products would work well. Super glue would probably be OK, if not ideal.

If the basic structure is sturdy, you could try cleaning the housing and taping over the cracks with e.g. electrical, duck, or aluminum furnace ductwork tape.

I don't think the poorer milage is due to the air cleaner housing so much as the winter gas blend and winter driving in general. If you make mostly short trips, the engine is spending a lot of time not really warmed up, which doesn't help the efficiency any; and, of course, driving through snow and slush and such inherently requires more power than driving on clean, dry pavement.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Try using the JB Weld PlasticWeld. Its made for some plastic types. Try a test spot first before to make sure it works or look at the plastic for casting info that identifies the type of plastic its made from.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
If the housing is in fact made of ABS plastic, then ABS cement would be the perfect adhesive . I've used that cement to join ABS pipe. Wow, that stuff sets up immediately!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by macbuddy
If the housing is in fact made of ABS plastic, then ABS cement would be the perfect adhesive . I've used that cement to join ABS pipe. Wow, that stuff sets up immediately!
Just to be clear, I was purely guessing that the housing may be ABS. I have absolutely no idea if that's true or not. Come to think of it, it's probably not ABS (or at least the same exact formulation and process as is used for ABS pipes), because ABS pipes can be prone to shatter into tiny bits, particularly when cold. Try putting a length of ABS pipe in the freezer and drop it on a hard floor if you doubt it. (Incidentally, the propensity to shatter under stress is the reason why one should never use ABS piping for compressed air. If it fails, it will do so by shattering into tiny sharp fast-moving shards. Liquids under pressure are OK because they are incompressible, so the localized pressure drops to essentially nothing once the initial break happens.)

Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 PM
I bought this product called Flow-Mix Plastic Welder by VersaChem at an O'Reilly Auto Parts store yesterday. It is a cream color, but figure I can use a black permanent marker to make it match the black plastic air filter housing.

Thanks for all your help!