1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Broken coil pack bolt... what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Broken coil pack bolt... what to do.

So i was changing the cyclinder coil pack and the bolt broke. There is about 1/8 of an inch of bolt sticking out and I tried using a piler to pull it out but pretty much strip whatever tread that is left on it.

I tried using aluminum tape to tape the coil pack down, but after a few weeks I notice the coil pack did pop out even though my car didn't stall.

Should I be concern? Just keep checking on it everyday and push it back in? Should I just use more tape?

I would like to avoid the need to bring the car to mechanic and have them take the engine apart to take the bolt out.

Any suggestion? Thanks

Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
I would try to drill down into the axis of the bolt. Then try to get it out with an easy-out tool. Although that might be tough/impossible depending on the steel grade of the bolt. There is also the old trick of welding a jam nut, or a washer then a nut to the stub and then turning the whole thing out via the nut. Your mechanic might have better luck with either of these tactics than you. Not a job for the dealership, but someone resourceful should be able to get the bolt out. Spraying it with some loosening stuff would help too.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:34 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that

Old 03-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Latke the coil pack off and lock onto the shank with a pair of vice of vice grips as hard as you can possible clamp them, and maybe use a little pb blaster the night before.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
The vice grips method failed for me. I striped a lot of metal of the bolt with it.

I also tried to use one of those bolt remover tool from home depot and the bolt was too short for it to work.

If there is no other beside going to a garage I think I will try to find an alternative way to hold the coil pack down.

I started with using aluminum tape which failed. I guess the heat made the adhesive not effective.

My new idea is to use metal tie wire and clamp the coil down using the bolts and/or other coil pack around it. If I stretch the wire tightly on top of the coil which should give it sufficient force to keep it down.

How much damage I am doing to the car with a loose coil pack? I assumed it was firing because I didn't feel knocking and engine light didn't come on when it was "pop out".

Actually my biggest concern is if my car will stall out on the Highway because of the loose coil pack.

Thanks

Last edited by omygod711; 03-27-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
You wont do any damage. You could drive by a machine shop and see if they could get it out.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
if you are looking for desperate attempts but not willing to go to a metal shop, why not jb weld the coil pack down? just use a little so you can break it off when you need to check the spark plugs.

mwcten has the best advice to solve the problem and that is what I would recommend.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
You know, it's ironic; I posted to this thread, then I go to replace one of my spark plugs on the Fit I just bought and I see that I've got the same problem. Some past mechanic turned the nut and broke it off about where yours was, tried the vice grips thing; failed, ground a little notch into the bolt and surrounding aluminum to try to be able to put a flathead screwdriver on it; failed, then JBwelded the thing down and put the old twisted off head in the hole to hide his "handiwork". The JBweld didn't put up any resistance when I pulled out the coil pack, so I'm not sure that was helpful. However it seems to be staying in place for the time being through some combination of friction, old dielectric grease, habit etc. I'll be keeping an eye on mine until I can see if my repair shop can get it out. Although looking at it, I did start to think along the same lines as you, omg711 that maybe a wire around adjacent coil pack bolts or a bent plate held down by the bolt of the adjacent coil pack might do the trick.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mwcten
You know, it's ironic; I posted to this thread, then I go to replace one of my spark plugs on the Fit I just bought and I see that I've got the same problem. Some past mechanic turned the nut and broke it off about where yours was, tried the vice grips thing; failed, ground a little notch into the bolt and surrounding aluminum to try to be able to put a flathead screwdriver on it; failed, then JBwelded the thing down and put the old twisted off head in the hole to hide his "handiwork". The JBweld didn't put up any resistance when I pulled out the coil pack, so I'm not sure that was helpful. However it seems to be staying in place for the time being through some combination of friction, old dielectric grease, habit etc. I'll be keeping an eye on mine until I can see if my repair shop can get it out. Although looking at it, I did start to think along the same lines as you, omg711 that maybe a wire around adjacent coil pack bolts or a bent plate held down by the bolt of the adjacent coil pack might do the trick.

Mine did pop back out at least once because my commute is full of pot holes. I feel the resistance and fiction but they are just no match to the pot holes here. I did not get to try the wire method yet. I had been very busy. If you try this before I do let me know where you tie your wire so i can use it as a reference. Or if I get around to it I will show you.

The bolts are not very strong in this car, one of my wheel bolt broke before this when I was changing the front brake pad. It was not fun to try to put a new one in.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
I ended up getting one longer coil pack bolt plus a piece of ~1"x1/8"x5" steel with a hole in the middle of it for the bolt. I tightened down the bolt to make the piece of metal hold in the tops of the two adjacent coil packs. Ghetto, I know, but so far so good. This solution would only work for twisted off bolts for coil packs 2-4; if bolt 1 twists off a different solution would be required.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Ive partially stripped the head of the bolt on one of my coilpacks, but to BREAK a bolt, you definitely overtightened it or crossthreaded.

My money is on crossthreaded.

I would almost remove 2 coilpack bolts, replace with long studs, use one nut to hold the coilpack down, and then have your plate of metal with 4 holes drilled, and make one big coilpack holder that puts equal pressure on all 4 packs