2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ign coil replacement Easy way?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Ign coil replacement Easy way?

Scan showed a #2 cyl. misfire. I want to replace the coil.
Instructions I have read say to remove the whole wiper assembly.
It looks like I should be able to reach in behind engine and remove coil and plug without moving anything.
What say? Has anyone done this?
Haven't tried, as I am waiting for new coil to arrive.
Thanks for any advise.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
If you have small hands I think you could squeeze into the space to remove coil #2 but it won't be easy. There is a coil bolt you will not be able to retorque properly but I don't think that is so-critical.

However, there are a lot of threads here regarding sparkplugs working loose even at the 40k mile mark. This seems to most impact plugs 2 and 3 but sometimes others. Several people had their engine heads stripped as a result, which is an expensive fix. It seems Honda increased the torque spec recently. Therefore, you should check the torque of all your spark plugs on occasion and this is as good a time as any. That can only be done by removing the windshield wipers and trays below (you will break some clips as a result so there are 3 types to purchase beforehand.) Research some of the recent spark plug threads here for more info.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:44 PM
I've been able to do it, but it's difficult. If it's cylinder 2 then you should be able to access it by reaching around to back of engine if you have small enough hands and arms for it.

That really is the only determining Factor.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fiting
If you have small hands I think you could squeeze into the space to remove coil #2 but it won't be easy. There is a coil bolt you will not be able to retorque properly but I don't think that is so-critical.

However, there are a lot of threads here regarding sparkplugs working loose even at the 40k mile mark. This seems to most impact plugs 2 and 3 but sometimes others. Several people had their engine heads stripped as a result, which is an expensive fix. It seems Honda increased the torque spec recently. Therefore, you should check the torque of all your spark plugs on occasion and this is as good a time as any. That can only be done by removing the windshield wipers and trays below (you will break some clips as a result so there are 3 types to purchase beforehand.) Research some of the recent spark plug threads here for more info.
Just started messing with it. Bolt on coil and plug removal should be ok.
Can you tell me the trick to removing the wire plug from the coil? Can't quite see it.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by over40pirate
Can you tell me the trick to removing the wire plug from the coil? Can't quite see it.
its your typical pinch to unlock and pull connector. They are pretty similar to ones you can see like the MAF. The clasp or whatever you call it is on the top face. Press it down and wiggle and pull the connector. I had to use two hands and a little prying with a screwdriver for a couple. If you can only reach with one hand just keep working it. But this is one connector you definitely don’t want to break or gouge with tools so be careful and patient.

ed: and yeah definitely check your plugs while you’re in there. If you have a torque wrench do 20 ftlbs.

Last edited by punx45; 04-08-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:06 PM
I've always found moving stuff out of the way is less time consuming then trying to work around them , in general.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by punx45
its your typical pinch to unlock and pull connector. They are pretty similar to ones you can see like the MAF. The clasp or whatever you call it is on the top face. Press it down and wiggle and pull the connector. I had to use two hands and a little prying with a screwdriver for a couple. If you can only reach with one hand just keep working it. But this is one connector you definitely don’t want to break or gouge with tools so be careful and patient.
Thanks, going back out to try again. Looks like the hardest part of the job! For cyl 1 and 2, that is. 3 & 4 would be a different story!

Old 04-08-2019, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, going back out to try again. Looks like the hardest part of the job! For cyl 1 and 2, that is. 3 & 4 would be a different story!
id say if you can’t get it in 10-15 min time to take the cowl off. It’s 2 bolts for the wipers, 2 screws for washer nozzles, and 8 bolts for the panel. The downside is you will break most or all of the plastic clips holding on the plastic cover.

i just put mine back on with a couple zip ties. It’s seen almost 90 mph since and no problems 😎

Old 04-08-2019, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Got it out. Not bad. Even for fairly big hands,arms.
I think if I wanted to, I could remove all 4 coils and plugs this way. First time in my life, I wish I had smaller forearms!
Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ANGST
I've always found moving stuff out of the way is less time consuming then trying to work around them , in general.
Moving things out of the way, when your a flat rate mechanic, doesn't make you much money! Did that gig for many years on Fords.
Used many shortcuts, to cut an hour job to 15 minutes or so.
This way, sure beats removing the whole wiper system, and breaking clips. Not to mention the time.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
That requires a lot of power to pinch off. Someone had pictures in the recent spark plug threads.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member

Although this is a CIVIC, the clip mechanism is the same (my FIT has blue clips). You can do it all but it's all with your left hand and it takes a vivid imagination because it's all unseen. You can't properly torque anything (not enough space unless you take out the HVAC airbox). Are you sure it's a coil and not a loose spark plug?

Old 04-08-2019, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Update.
Got the #2 coil out, easily. Problem turned out to be orig. spark plug loosened up.
Back together, and runs fine.
Question. Should I keep or return the online purchased Denso coil, which cost me $42. I can return it locally, but to order a new one online, would me $63.
Car has 65,000 miles on it.
I'm going to get some anti seize (favorite brands?) and reinstall the plug.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
At 65K miles, our coil packs were in excellent condition. If your original looked good and you don't see heat or smoke damage, reinstall the original and return the new ones to the vendors.

If you go to replace coil packs, only go OEM. These are under massive heat and voltage, so you can't be messing around with potential fakes or sub-quality.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Even got the warning lite out. As well as the Traction/stability light out. That one was on for about 2 weaks, before the engine light came on.
Autozone scan showed #2 cyl problem, but nothing about stability.
Hope it stays out!

Old 04-08-2019, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Nice job! I've taken the coils out 1-3, but I can't figure out how to undo the bolt for 4 - any ideas? How'd you fit a socket on top of it without hitting the wiring clip near it?

I wish I had bigger forearms: I actually think grip strength counts for this particular endeavor.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
I used a 1/4" drive 10mm socket and a 2" extension.
To get the coil bolt out.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Even got the warning lite out. As well as the Traction/stability light out. That one was on for about 2 weaks, before the engine light came on.
Autozone scan showed #2 cyl problem, but nothing about stability.
Hope it stays out!
I have an '11 Sport AT and same thing happened: Check-Engine-Light (CEL) came on and then the Vehicle-Stability-Assist (VSA) came on. Misfire in #2 & #3. Loose plugs and I'm still using the same coil packs many years and thousands of miles later.