1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

What are the correct, or best spark plugs for a 2008 Hinda Fit Sport?

Old 03-30-2014, 04:43 PM
What are the correct, or best spark plugs for a 2008 Hinda Fit Sport?

I would like to know what you think are the correct, or best spark plugs for my 2008 Honda Fit Sport?

I am considering buying the NGK Laser Iridium sparks plugs from O' Reilly, but they cost $13.49 each, and only have a 1 year warranty. But it says the gap should be .052...ugh!

I noticed they sell the Autolite XP Xtreme Performance Iridium (Gap of .044), and the Bosch Fine Wire Iridium (do not gap, gap is preset) spark plugs for $6.99 each, and they both have a 7 year limited warranty

I have read some people say only use NGK.

Oh, the the choices of it all.

Thanks for your help as always Fit Freaks!

2008 Honda Fit Sport
Automatic Transmission
82,XXX miles

Last edited by Letsclique; 03-30-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
The NGK Laser Iridium #6774 are OEM plugs.

RockAuto has them cheap.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,7212

Old 03-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
The NGK Laser Iridium #6774 are OEM plugs.

RockAuto has them cheap.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,7212
Thanks! Do you know if they are made to last a long time, even if the warranty is only limited to 1 year?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Only get NGK or Denso plugs for a japanese engine!

Autolites and Bosch are a no no!

I spent $32 on a set of sparkplugs for a Honda S2000. Drop right in, run them with a 50 gap, and benefit of slightly colder heat range for increased ignition timing from the car computer.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
The NGKs and most other Iridium plugs should last you an easy 100k as long as you're using good gas (Shell, Chevron, Texaco)
There is no set 'life expectancy' but from experience I can tell you this much.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit

I spent $32 on a set of sparkplugs for a Honda S2000. Drop right in, run them with a 50 gap, and benefit of slightly colder heat range for increased ignition timing from the car computer.
Thanks 13fit! Another question. Should I gap the spark plugs to .052 as it shows on O'Reilly Auto Parts website?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
The NGKs and most other Iridium plugs should last you an easy 100k as long as you're using good gas (Shell, Chevron, Texaco)
There is no set 'life expectancy' but from experience I can tell you this much.
Thanks! I have started to use the mid level gas, instead of the lowest priced gas per gallon. I will have to search around to notice which stations sell those brands of gas.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 AM
There is no "low" or "mid" level gas.

87 octane gas is the same quality as 91 or 93.

The differences are gas station-specific.

Example, near me here in Wisconsin, many gas stations do NOT have ethanol in their 91 and 93 octane offerings. Otherwise the fuel is the same.

My car runs better around the backroads if its drinking on ethanol-free fuel.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:56 PM
How people create issues out of non-issues never ceases to amaze me. Use the spark plugs specified by Honda - the NGKs or Denso. Set the gap to what Honda specifies, not what some user specifies. Use gas specified by Honda - regular unleaded, and simply use top tier gas like Chevron, Shell, etc... every now and then. Then stop overthinking all this and have a beer and enjoy life.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
It's always nice to have a doubt or question out of the way.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
out of curiosity 13fit, do you have any datalogs showing the bum in timing between stock plugs and ik22?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Okay. 115k miles on stock/factory NGK plugs which I just replaced today with new ones. They still work fine but since I was replacing the coils I replaced the spark plugs as well.

The old plugs look great, no deposits, just blackened by normal wear. I'd say an easy 50k left on them considering I put top tier gas.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Stick to Denso or NGk as mentioned. I steered for the "long life" iridium for a power plug. Went with the Denso IK20. After reading the forums I see that the IK22 is a better choice for tuning. I will be switching out to that plug soon after tuning the vehicle with the Hondata.

From a past experience with iridium be careful gaping the plug. I remember many years ago I tried to do this and broke the tip. This time around I just put the plug in with whatever the Denso gaping came with. Can you gap these plugs since they are so tiny on the tips?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
out of curiosity 13fit, do you have any datalogs showing the bum in timing between stock plugs and ik22?
I used toi have a few on my netbook before Win7 Starter crashed and I wiped it for a fresh install.

on 87 octane and factory plugs, I NEVER was able to touch 55 degrees advanced timing.

on factory plugs I would occasionally hit it while running 93 (after ecu adjusted to it)

With the S2000 plugs, I touched 55 occasionally while on 91 octane, and can almost maintain 30s and higher with 93 octane.

I would seriously recommend the swap to these plugs when your factory ones decide they have had enough.

I currently have my gap at 50. It has never stuttered even during VERY cold mornings here in Wisconsin. The car even almost says F$%& Y@# I aint gonna stall lol, when I start out too low rpm going uphill.

The car feels solid.

The tech at Cleo Bay Honda (purchase place) even said he recommends some of his performance oriented customers to do things of this nature.

He was very careful to state they were HIS opinions, not Honda's.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
Stick to Denso or NGk as mentioned. I steered for the "long life" iridium for a power plug. Went with the Denso IK20. After reading the forums I see that the IK22 is a better choice for tuning. I will be switching out to that plug soon after tuning the vehicle with the Hondata.

From a past experience with iridium be careful gaping the plug. I remember many years ago I tried to do this and broke the tip. This time around I just put the plug in with whatever the Denso gaping came with. Can you gap these plugs since they are so tiny on the tips?
Yes you can gap them, but with those kinds of plugs, I almost NEVER recommend going to more gap. I can only recommend closing the gap if necessary. Having small tips means that tip is MUCH hotter then normal ones, and can lead to early spark plug failure if gapped too much bigger.

My recommendation is if you need to go bigger, try to keep it only like .004 bigger, example, 44 was set, try a max of 48 or smaller.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 PM

The tech at Cleo Bay Honda (purchase place) even said he recommends some of his performance oriented customers to do things of this nature.

He was very careful to state they were HIS opinions, not Honda's.
13Fit, you're in the Killeen area. Cool. That's where I got my 08 Fit. Cleo Bay.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
So on the IK22 you would need to close the gap correct? Denso says the gap is .8 compared to the IK20 which has a .05 gap. Thats a pretty big difference.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Help!

Forgive me for not having alot of mechanical knowledge, but this was one of the most specifc threads having to do with my situation.

Heres what happened:
In January we had severe engine misfire, and was traced back to bad coil pack. Replaced 2 coils and all spark plugs with autolite iridium xp5224.

Fast forward to now: Took 08 Fit sport to dealer for recall items and list of other problems, and were told that all 4 coil packs were swollen and melted (burned up). Need first cat replaced due to being plugged up with burned up crap, and a valve adjustment (car has 150,000).

I need to go back to the shop that installed the plugs and explain that they ruined my car and I don't have enough knowledge on the subject. I know the plugs are not OEM, but can someone explain to me why this happened?

Or is the dealer trying to get me for $2700 on and imaginary issue?

Old 08-28-2016, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
The plugs were replaced by incompetent mechanic.
Whatever works on 78 Celica or even 88 Accord will not work on Fit (learned myself hard way). The factors listed below contributed to your problem
A) the spark plugs were likely removed and installed at elevated temperature (this alters torque)
b) the gasket surface around the threaded hole was not inspected for contamination and damage (you can inspect it with mirror for #1 plug only; the vision camera should be used for plugs 2 to 4). Damage and contamination if left alone can alter the torque and provide ways for combustion leak around the plug
c) I used Autolite plugs for my 87 Camry; the plugs have had very hard to compress sealing gasket compared to NGK or Denso; Denso plug has thick and soft gasket that gets 2 times thinner when compressed
d) Inch-pound torque wrench was probably not used either
As a result, the plugs become loose in the thread and allowed exhaust leakage into the sealed spark plug well. The high temperature there melted the coil end and shortened life of the coil itself.
The misfire detection monitor on Fit is fake (it did not detect missing cylinder I made by unplugging coil for 10 seconds two times); not sure if your catalyst was melted; I would seek second opinion about it.
So:
discard plugs and coils.
inspect the spark plug wells, gasket seal surface and threads in the hole using slab camera
if needed the seal surfaces can be conditioned and threads can be chased
Use Denso plugs; install them when engine at its cold state and torque them to 13 foot pounds (156 inch-pounds); I used 170 inch pounds setting
I could speculate that the thread crest in the hole is cut more to prevent plug sticking to the head after 100k miles of service (this results in very loose thread fit on the plug compared to older cars)
PS I expecting to find a cheap Fit on CL due to the blown out plugs

Old 08-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply. Just as a follow up, Would the valve adjustment and replacement of the cat also be needed for the damage that was done?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the correct, or best spark plugs for a 2008 Hinda Fit Sport?