1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Coasting in neutral ..auto..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Coasting in neutral ..auto..

If I coast in neutral ,any speed ,and shift to drive I hear sound I don't like. I hope to hear this is normal. 2007 auto, I can hear the clutch plates or something slipping as they engage. Needless to say I avoid doing the hyper miles this way now.
Any experience's ?

Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Why would you do this? I know on a Saturn it would completely thrash an automatic transmission clutch, and it automatically shifts to neutral while coasting...

Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 AM
Sounds you don't like are normally sounds you shouldn't be hearing. They are your car's way of telling you it is pissed at you for what you just did to it. Don't shift into neutral while you're coasting. It is a bad idea. Just leave it in drive and let the mechanics of it all work itself out.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
Was doing it for two reasons. Had a 90 civic hatchback and did it all the time with no issues and now its a bad habit to break. The brakes would fade on it long story short.
The other reason is that I find coasting in gear has a lot of hold back on it ,almost like a engine brake.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Coasting is OK for human-powered vehicles; very unsafe for any car or motorcycle. It's illegal in my state.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Very unsafe in what way, other than you saw something in Reader's Digest once?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Drive down a icy hill and see how unsafe it is to not coast...lol.
It not allowed here either but it was not a legal question.....only mechanical. I assume it is not right to make this noise or no one has tried. Time for a oil change to see what I see

Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM
An article against neutral: Coasting in Neutral or Gear to Save Gas - Coasting and Fuel Economy - Popular Mechanics, an article for it: Should you really shift to neutral when stuck in traffic? - Motormouth Online and an article for and against it: Common Myths Among Young Drivers - Cars.com. I couldn't find many other non-forum sites that talk about whether or not to put the transmission in neutral while coasting.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Mmmm I wouldn't do it at least from a rolling idle into gear.

Like you're rolling along at 50mph at 800RPM and throwing it into drive. At least not on the Fit anyway.

Plus it's illegal. But that's never stopped anyone lol

Old 10-31-2014, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Very unsafe in what way, other than you saw something in Reader's Digest once?
You car's handling is compromised, which effects your ability to both swerve and accelerate to avoid potential danger. The car's suspension and steering is engineered to work best when the engine is driving the car forward, not while coasting. Don't believe it? Set-up a slalom with cones in a parking lot, then try to run it coasting v. on the gas and see which give you greater control.

Downhills are obvious I would think.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
If there's a problem, you're doing it wrong. I've never found handling to be compromised.

Oh, I forgot, the rocket scientists passed a law against something 80 years ago.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Coasting in neutral was by far one of the stupidest things I did when trying to "save gas", modern cars have a DFCO (deceleration fuel cutoff) so when you're rolling it turns off the injectors (no fuel going in, or less fuel than idle), the momentum of the wheels keep it going. Even though the added friction from the drivetrain slows the car down, it's still not using any gas, whereas in neutral you might get farther without accelerating, but you're still using fuel for idle.

Last edited by ikutoisahobo; 11-06-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
Coasting in neutral was by far one of the stupidest things I did when trying to "save gas"...
Actually, it was failing to see the forest for the trees. While at any given moment DFCO can bring you down to burning zero gas, it actually costs you gas over the course of a trip if you use it instead of neutral.

DFCO, or engine braking, is a very fuel efficient braking method- it shuts off the injectors and slows you down without chewing up your pads and rotors. But it's a braking method, and not the best move in places where you wouldn't already be hitting the brakes.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Why would it be illegal?

Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oufink
Why would it be illegal?
because technically you wouldn't be able to accelerate in case of some kind of emergency.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:09 PM
I guess that makes sense in theory. But in that case, I'm surprised they don't try to make manual transmissions illegal too. Wait, I better not give them any ideas.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
I have a Honda Jazz GD1 2007 vith CVT and I use the tecnique with coasting in neutral a lot in the morning on my way to work in the rush-hour cue. I use it because the speed when just rolling it when in D or S is too high, I flick it into N and just roll allong with the cue untill I need a little more speed and flick it back into D mode for a few second and then back to N. Almost never used the brake this way.

Actually I have noticed that if I am just coasting in D (with the foot of the accelerator) the speed increases slowly up to about 15km/h after a minute or so. When putting it in N and back to D it are coasting fine at about 7-10km/h and then increase up to 15km/h again. And that is too fast for the cue-driving here where I live.

I have just passed 102.000km (63.379mi) and and had to change the rear wheel brakes for the first time when I was at the 100k service a few days back.
I have asked both the dealer and the workshop and they say this is not going to do any harm to the car, and you also dont use the brakes so much. But maybe my CVT transmission is different than the "Automatic" transmissions on the Fit over in the US?

Old 11-15-2014, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Exactly.This was the habit I picked up when I had the brake fade issue. Coasting at even two miles an hour can create the noise.
I bet a lot of the manual guys do the same at a light or in stop and go. Are you in first or in neutral because the clutch is a pain to hold in. I did and still would do the same.
The mention of injectors is not what I hear. It is like the friction plates are engaging and slipping a bit.
I assume this is not common.....my original question....