General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Revmatching Sport Auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:31 AM
Revmatching Sport Auto

Howdy!
My last 4 cars have all been manual and I've never actually owned an auto, so at first I found the auto of the Fit Sport to be restrictive and I often felt disconnected from the car. So after messing around with the S mode and all that, i discovered that it is possible to revmatch when downshifting. All you have to do is tap the gas immediately after you tap the "-" paddle. It's easy to suck for a while, but you get used to it. After a couple days of doing it, i'm getting more comfortable. The fit's auto is seriously the most bearable automatic i've ever driven, and i love it.

For those of you that aren't familiar with revmatching, its used in manuals when you are slowing down. When you want to downshift, rather than just putting it in the lower gear and letting go of the clutch, you clutch in, put the shifter in the lower gear, and rev the engine up to the where the revs will be when you release the clutch. It takes a lot of getting used to your engine and tranny, but once you get it, you can save the life of your tranny and corner better and sound awesome. I'm pretty pumped that i learned how to do it in the fit.

Oh yeah, and in the lower gears, if you get good at it, you dont get that feeling that you're about to smash your head on your windshield. It revs up, engages and smoothly continues in the next gear.

Tre

Old 06-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Question

Wonder how long these little slush boxes are going to last under this kind of use?

Old 06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
MirrorWorks: I've been away for a while, so forgive the question you might have already answered: Why the heck did you get the auto?

Old 06-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Ah, thanks for the tip! So that's revmatching...
I'll try that out today when I get a chance.

But Jonniedee, did point out a valid concern...I wonder if that's going to be stressful for the delicate gearbox. Why do you say that it can "save the life of your tranny"?

Old 06-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by dancingsun
Ah, thanks for the tip! So that's revmatching...
I'll try that out today when I get a chance.

But Jonniedee, did point out a valid concern...I wonder if that's going to be stressful for the delicate gearbox. Why do you say that it can "save the life of your tranny"?
I meant it saves the life of manuals, no necessarily autos. I noticed if you revmatch poorly in the auto, it makes the shift more shocking to the tranny, but if you do it right, its a lot smoother and it doesnt jolt.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by BKKJack
MirrorWorks: I've been away for a while, so forgive the question you might have already answered: Why the heck did you get the auto?
I got auto primarily for some personal reasons that are kind of hard for most people to understand when I explain it to them, but its also apparently really freaking hard to get a stick in socal, let alone a blaze orange stick, hha.
Tre

Old 06-09-2006, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
I find that heel-toe'ing in the Fit is waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than my 240sx. I usually only do it when i'm in a rush and need to maintain a momentum to get to work on time!

:P

Old 06-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Master FitFreaker
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
Wonder how long these little slush boxes are going to last under this kind of use?
abuse never last

Old 06-10-2006, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
I just try it out, it was really cool to do revmatch. The car seem like getting more power than when you want upshift. I think it is good on Highway, but noy in Local. hehehehe.........I'm stupid try to do it at the turn, but it is impossible to do........I'm a jerk. May be need some skill. Well, it may not good for Auto Tans, so just do it when it needs.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MirrorWorks
I got auto primarily for some personal reasons that are kind of hard for most people to understand when I explain it to them, but its also apparently really freaking hard to get a stick in socal, let alone a blaze orange stick, hha.
Tre
No worries. I just hope there is a SS Sport 5MT available somewhere on the eastern seaboard this December. I am moving from Bangkok to Virginia, and want to have my Fit within a week of hitting the ground there.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dacalac
I find that heel-toe'ing in the Fit is waaaaaaaaaaaay easier than my 240sx. I usually only do it when i'm in a rush and need to maintain a momentum to get to work on time!

:P
Do you actually use your heel and toe, or are the pedals positioned so you brake with the big toe and roll your pinkie to work the gas?