2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit Sport Auto Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Sport Auto Question

I am not wondering which is better auto or manual; however how reliable the auto is with paddle shifters. I can't seem to find any information concerning this and was mainly wondering what you guys have experienced.

I'm debating which sport version to buy auto or manual mainly based on reliability of the auto on the Sport. Its my last debate I'm having with myself. lol

Thanks

jtcannonball

Old 10-31-2010, 06:34 PM
All I have been able to find says that the automatic is bulletproof. If you do a lot of speedshifting, etc. the manuals are prone to burn clutchplates. The auto is a little faster and gets better gas mileage, strange as it may seem.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdnewman
All I have been able to find says that the automatic is bulletproof. If you do a lot of speedshifting, etc. the manuals are prone to burn clutchplates. The auto is a little faster and gets better gas mileage, strange as it may seem.
I don't know where some of you get the idea that the auto gets better mileage. The EPA rates both Sport models equally at 27/33. Only the base auto is rated slightly higher. That said I put zero faith in any of the EPA numbers anyway.

And let's not mislead the OP. The auto manumatic operation is quick and precise, but one can't state that it shifts faster than someone shifting a manual. I for one shift as quick or quicker than the auto if I want to.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
I'm leaning toward a manual but if the tricked out paddle shiftomatic (tricked out to me) is pretty cool and known to be very reliable then I would possibly shift my allegiance towards the auto sport.

Thanks for the good fast answers

jtcannonball

Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 PM
I don't know where some of you get the idea that the auto gets better mileage. The EPA rates both Sport models equally at 27/33. Only the base auto is rated slightly higher.
Perhaps that is where we get the idea. The base gets better. The sport gets the same. All in all then, the auto gets better mileage, and although you may be able to shift "as quick or quicker" than the automatic, most people can't.
I drove only manuals for the first forty years I drove. That was back when automatics were slushboxes and any manual could get up and walk away from an automatic at any time in any condition. That was then. Today automatics have developed to the point that every F1 car being built today uses automatics (with paddle shifters). This is because the automatics shift faster than any human driver, even the best drivers in Indy cars, can shift.
I would not be so pro automatic in the Fit if it used a four speed automatic, but since they put five speeds in there.... ah well.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Manuals are always more reliable and cheaper to fix/maintain in the long run due to less complicated parts than the automatics. Automatics have torque converters, hydraulic pumps, and many other components to get the transmission to work; on the other hand, the manuals are just a simple system of gears riding shafts and a gear selector fork to move those gears in and out of place. In addition to that, automatics typically put less power down than manuals due to the components such as the torque converter.

If you are interested on learning more about these transmissions and their components please click the following linked words leading to How Stuff Works.com. Automatic transmission link and Manual transmission link.

Now when comparing a manual Fit to an automatic Fit of the same trim level, the manual will yield lower highway economy (and lower delimited top speed) than the auto due to its shorter gearing. For example, two Fits are traveling in final (fifth) gear at a constant speed of 80 MPH. The manual's engine RPM will be approximately 4000 and the auto's engine RPM will be approximately 3000.

In the city however the shorter gearing and more wheel horsepower (due to less transmission components) allow the manual to keep up with traffic while using less throttle input than the auto in the process. In addition to that, being able to coast in neutral and skip to top gear once at speed in the city allows aids the manual's fuel economy.

As far as the automatic transmissions with paddles go, they are pretty nifty during spirited driving and passing situations as well as can help improve fuel economy by closing the torque converter sooner and longer (by choosing the right gear and throttle input) than when they aren't in use.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Hootie, I know about manuals and the benefits of a manual; however I was more concerned if the auto w/shifters was reliable b/c I can't seem to find any info concerning the reliability of the auto w/shifters. My commute for work is going to be at minimum 3-4 miles and worse 8-10 one way depending on the apartment I purchase so the manual/auto benefits don't mean to much to me, however the benefits of long trips when I go to TN from MI for holiday's visiting my family makes the auto a little more intriguing to me. But this is my first real job out of college and with student loan repayments the nod may go to the cheaper fit sport manual to save a couple bucks.

Thank you guys so much

jtcannonball

Old 10-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by jtcannonball
Thanks Hootie, I know about manuals and the benefits of a manual; however I was more concerned if the auto w/shifters was reliable b/c I can't seem to find any info concerning the reliability of the auto w/shifters. My commute for work is going to be at minimum 3-4 miles and worse 8-10 one way depending on the apartment I purchase so the manual/auto benefits don't mean to much to me, however the benefits of long trips when I go to TN from MI for holiday's visiting my family makes the auto a little more intriguing to me. But this is my first real job out of college and with student loan repayments the nod may go to the cheaper fit sport manual to save a couple bucks.

Thank you guys so much

jtcannonball

I have the paddle shifters and havent even really used them much... Youll find yourself in D more than S anyway...

Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps that is where we get the idea. The base gets better. The sport gets the same. All in all then, the auto gets better mileage, and although you may be able to shift "as quick or quicker" than the automatic, most people can't.
I drove only manuals for the first forty years I drove. That was back when automatics were slushboxes and any manual could get up and walk away from an automatic at any time in any condition. That was then. Today automatics have developed to the point that every F1 car being built today uses automatics (with paddle shifters). This is because the automatics shift faster than any human driver, even the best drivers in Indy cars, can shift.
I would not be so pro automatic in the Fit if it used a four speed automatic, but since they put five speeds in there.... ah well.
You can't say then that the auto gets better mileage. The OP is only considering the Sport, so mileage, according to the EPA is identical. My parents have the AT, I have the MT...seems our mileage is basically the same, especially since you can't really compare mileage with differing drivers and geography. This website demonstrates that both AT and MT Fits are essentially getting equivalent mileage:

Browse All 2009 Honda Fits | Fuelly

Now, about autos shifting faster, you're referring to the automated manuals and dual clutch transmissions, which are designed to shift very quickly. Conventional autos vary in shift speed, and some shift rather slowly, slower than an average driver shifting a manual. And as far as which has quicker acceleration, the AT or MT model, well, there's no contest. 0-60 in 8.3 for the MT, 9.9 for the auto.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:10 PM
was that 9.9 on the AT in S or D?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by jtcannonball
I am not wondering which is better auto or manual; however how reliable the auto is with paddle shifters. I can't seem to find any information concerning this and was mainly wondering what you guys have experienced.

I'm debating which sport version to buy auto or manual mainly based on reliability of the auto on the Sport. Its my last debate I'm having with myself. lol

Thanks

jtcannonball
Since some people are going off topic I will hopefully answer your question.

I've had my 09 Fit since February 09. I use sport mode with paddles at least twice a week and just plain sport mode (without paddles activated) at least once a day.
My auto has been bullet proof since I've had it. I like manuals but love the easy operation of the sport paddles and love the benefit of having a auto in city traffic.
Hope that helps.

edit: I have 16K miles

Last edited by Committobefit08; 10-31-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
I don't how the reliability is for the current GE chassis's auto trans but for my GD I haven't had any issues. So far I am just under 32k miles (within 10 miles) and way less than 1000 of them have had the gear selector in D; the other 31k miles were driven moderately aggressive with the selector in S and "M" mode active (paddles engaged).

Disregard the following if you are not considering modifying the exhaust during your ownership of a Fit.

Also, one more thing to consider in your transmission choice. Be aware that adding a performance muffler can result in an annoying exhaust tone at highway speed since in most cases VTEC will engage once the RPMs exceed a certain point. This is more common for manuals due to gearing, but automatics will do it as well.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:37 PM
my tanabe touring medallion is never an issue when it comes to exhaust db levels on highway speeds even at 10-15mph over the limit which I normally settle into

Old 10-31-2010, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
was that 9.9 on the AT in S or D?
Car and Driver most likely shifted manually to get to the 6800 rpm redline. They mentioned that in S or D it will shift at 6500 rpm, just shy of the power peak:

2009 Honda Fit Sport Automatic - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM
...some shift rather slowly, slower than an average driver shifting a manual.
You are absolutely correct. Some do. Thats why I would never even consider an automatic by GM or Yugo.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm not aware of any major issues with the Fit auto, but as others have said, manuals are in general much simpler and less failure-prone. Also, we all love to believe our Hondas are super reliable but the truth is that in the late 90s - early 2000s, there were a lot of issues with auto transmissions, especially Civic and Accord. Which is not to say that all Honda auto transmissions are questionable, just seems that if there is an achilles heel on Hondas, it could well be in the automatic transmission...

Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member

i was reading this and kinda thought to myself... "seriously?"

i just made over 41 MPG on my last 100 miles traveled going back to school... and burn clutchplates? only if you don't know how to drive...

i would generally fight towards getting an automatic when suggesting others to buy... but in this case your making manuals sound to be prety bad, I have a manual myself and iam 100% sure i would have regretted getting an automatic

Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Reliability with Honda transmissions isn't usually an issue. I think you get good reliability with either Auto or Manual.

So let your decision be based on what you want.

I have an Auto Sport. I hardly ever use the paddles. I love the vehicle and the way it drives.

That being said? Just the way the Fit handles? I think it would be a fun, fun vehicle to drive as a manual. If I had to do it over again? I think I would consider getting a manual transmission.

But I'm not unhappy with my auto...so my advice is just decide what you want. Either the convience of an automatic or the "fun" of shifting and using a clutch. The Fit is a good vehicle with either choice.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Car and Driver most likely shifted manually to get to the 6800 rpm redline. They mentioned that in S or D it will shift at 6500 rpm, just shy of the power peak:

2009 Honda Fit Sport Automatic - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

This is true. The car in auto or sport (without paddles activated) shifts actually automatically closer to 6400 rpm. But when you are sport mode with the paddles activated you can manually shift closer to 6800 rpm. I usually have to shift at around 6600 rpm and it takes a split second for the computer to react and actually shifts at 6700 rpm. If you hit 6800+ rpm you're going to bog it. Trust me I've done it multiple times...not fun.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
It's so temping to taunt the people here who are disconcerted that you're equally considering manual and auto. But I will resist.

I have a 2008 AT Sport with nearly 80,000 miles on it. No problems with the transmission so far, just make damn sure to change the fluid at the proper intervals.