1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Slight idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Slight idle issue

Hey guys,

Winter is here. My Fit gets parked outside. Anyways I noticed this issue in the last 2 days. Just so you all are aware, plugs were replaced with E3 Diamonds in May or June. Rad was flushed and fresh coolant installed. Oil was done maybe a month or two ago. Maintenance is up to date.

When my car starts she idles at 1500. I know it's normal. After driving a bit the car usually gets down to 1 after it warms up. What I've noticed at the light though after I have been driving for roughly 10 minutes is that. My rpm will raise just above 1 and then will drop back to 1. I do have my heat blasting in full as well not sure if that is an issue. What do I need to fix so that my car doesn't rev about 1 when at a light?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
I think its just a cold engine. I suspect the ECU is running rich so you don't stall. Mine works about the same.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
That what I was thinking. But I wasn't sure. Winter came quick this year. I didn't want to get alarmed cause the car never dips below 1 and never stalls out. If it was reving up to 1500 or 2000 rpm when I was at a light I would be freaking out a lot more. I guess this is another common thing amongst this small L15. My next question is will this hurt my gas consumption more than usual? I know with cars that rev a lot higher at stops like 1500 and2 and then drop back to 1 usually kill gas quicker. I'm assuming my gas consumption won't suffer so much as its only going up to 1100?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
It depends how long your trips are. I do a lot of short trips in the city and my MPG is abysmal.

If you do a long, 45 minute trip and your engine is cold for 5 minutes, you are getting bad mpg for 5 minutes and better for 40. If all your trips are 7 minutes, then you are basically always getting crap MPG.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
It depends how long your trips are. I do a lot of short trips in the city and my MPG is abysmal.

If you do a long, 45 minute trip and your engine is cold for 5 minutes, you are getting bad mpg for 5 minutes and better for 40. If all your trips are 7 minutes, then you are basically always getting crap MPG.
I appreciate the replies. I guess it's just a regular thing when the Fit is cold for anyone else who may be reading this in the future and is experiencing the same issue. Glad to see there is no major repair that needs to be done. Just need to wait for warmer days or move to a warmer climates lol.

Driving to and from work is roughly 15 minutes for me haha. When I'm driving between courts it's much longer and even in the summer I see great mileage when I make far trips. They went lying when they say winter kills your gas haha.

Just never noticed th slight rev increase at a light until yesterday. Since I saw it yesterday is all I can see now. Couldn't feel it. I only know cause I saw the needle go il ever so slightly. It's possible it was doing this last year and I just never saw those tach do it on small trips. Now that I'm watching it I see it haha.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen dirty throttle bodies cause erratic idle.

Remove the air cleaner tube and clean the butterfly valve and surroundings with intake cleaner soaked in a lint free cloth rag. Don't spray.

Then you need to do an Idle Learn Procedure...

Old 11-21-2014, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Driving to and from work is roughly 15 minutes for me haha. When I'm driving between courts it's much longer
Just be aware that short trips are a killer for engine oil. Contaminates such as unburned fuel and water condensation does not get removed due to lack of engine heat and running time. Every so often make to trip to work somewhat longer.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
Just be aware that short trips are a killer for engine oil. Contaminates such as unburned fuel and water condensation does not get removed due to lack of engine heat and running time. Every so often make to trip to work somewhat longer.
^^ That's a good practice.

Still, the Maintenance Minder shortens the Oil Change Interval when short trips occur and the engine takes longer to warm up. For sure, the % drops quick under these conditions.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
So the idle has gotten better. The warmer weather really helped. Seems to be a cold issue.

Now I have a new issue. Car hesitates when driving. It's like as if I have turbo lag without a turbo. When I push the gas there is a small delay before the car accelerates. It does not accelerate smoothly. No engine light. Spark plugs were just changed today with NGK iridium. Checked air sensors, they seem fine. If they weren't there would be an engine light. I'm also thinking about running a fuel cleaner and seeing if that'll help. Lucas is some good stuff. Any thoughts? Like I said no engine light. And this issue only occurs sometimes. It's very infrequent.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
So the idle has gotten better. The warmer weather really helped. Seems to be a cold issue.

Now I have a new issue. Car hesitates when driving. It's like as if I have turbo lag without a turbo. When I push the gas there is a small delay before the car accelerates. It does not accelerate smoothly. No engine light. Spark plugs were just changed today with NGK iridium. Checked air sensors, they seem fine. If they weren't there would be an engine light. I'm also thinking about running a fuel cleaner and seeing if that'll help. Lucas is some good stuff. Any thoughts? Like I said no engine light. And this issue only occurs sometimes. It's very infrequent.
I think its just being in too low a gear. Downshift and go! Doesn't take much for the little sucker to bog. I used to run STP fuel injector cleaner. I think it's snake oil more than anything. I wouldn't bother with it. I sometimes run it before a long highway trip since i know I'm gonna run the whole think on the highway at a constant RPM. People swear by the redline. I might try it some day.

Last edited by MTLian; 11-24-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
I think its just being in too low a gear. Downshift and go! Doesn't take much for the little sucker to bog. I used to run STP fuel injector cleaner. I think it's snake oil more than anything. I wouldn't bother with it. I sometimes run it before a long highway trip since i know I'm gonna run the whole think on the highway at a constant RPM. People swear by the redline. I might try it some day.
I have never had this hesitation since owning the car. It just started maybe a week ago. My driving habit has not changed nor my driving style.

I think it could be a coil pack going bad. It's not registering an engine light. I hope it does soon. I rather have an engine light then not know what's going wrong. Really hope this doesn't keep going on without an engine light. Rather annoying if anything. And I did replace the plugs with high end plugs thinkin it would fix the problem. They were not cheap at $20 a plug.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
You didn't mention how many miles, but coil pack was my first thought. They don't always throw codes, many posts here to that regard. Second thought is valve adjustment.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
171,100km on my Fit. I'm the original owner. I'm thinking it's a coil pack. Not throwing a code though. Will it eventually throw a code? I highly doubt it's a valve adjustment. Reason why is that it seems to be a throttle issue at low speeds. High rev acceleration is fine.

Another reason why I think its a coil pack is I could have sworn I misfired this morning. No engine light ut after idling for about a minute the car shook in the engine. No increase in revs just a minor shake. I've notied that in start up almost all the time since I noticed the hesitate issue. So I've decided I'm going to buy one coil pack from Honda when I have the $100. Keep switching one every time I feel the hesitation I'm going to pull over grab the 10mm socket and swap the coil pack.

I've unplugged each coil pack while idling and no difference. So I'm thinking this will be the only way to diagnose the issue.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
It's hitachi ones I need EH? Fair enough. I'll try to scope those at a store in Canada. Don't want to deal with the whole shipping ordeal. Thought my coil packs would last for ever lol. I guess I'm nieve haha.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
If shaking is related to specific rpms it is the motor mounts.
too tight valves will cause engine to bog down and stall when cold (this is why some people are warming up cars for at least 1 minute before going to drive).

Old 11-25-2014, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J
If shaking is related to specific rpms it is the motor mounts.
too tight valves will cause engine to bog down and stall when cold (this is why some people are warming up cars for at least 1 minute before going to drive).
I do not stall in the cold. Car never stalls out. I should check those motor mounts those are fairly easy to replace. Would I go aftermarket or get OEM mounts? Never heard of mounts going after 171,000km. Car doesn't shake on every start up this is only sometimes. If it shook in every start up then I would suspect my mounts. My main issue is the slight hesitation when accelerating. That is the main issue I need to fix. Seems like I'm not getting the power. Valve adjustment probably needs to be done but my car shouldn't be bogging after it is warmed up. This hesitation of the accerlation only happens sometimes and the car is warmed up.

Last edited by GinoLicious; 11-25-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
It's hitachi ones I need EH? Fair enough. I'll try to scope those at a store in Canada. Don't want to deal with the whole shipping ordeal. Thought my coil packs would last for ever lol. I guess I'm nieve haha.
Have fun paying 90$ a coil for the same product you can order for 50$ a piece off rockauto.com . To each his own!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Well let's hope rock auto ships to Canada and at a reasonable

Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Well let's hope rock auto ships to Canada and at a reasonable price.

In regards to the motor mounts, there appears to be no play in the engine. If there is, it's very minimal. The car only shook once or twice on start up. If it was a mount I would expect it to be more prominent. A few people have driven my car since and cannot feel or notice motor play. In any event at some point I'll go down there and inspect them and report my findings. For now it's to cure this bogging issue. Fresh plugs and coil packs should do it for me. One could only hope.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Well let's hope rock auto ships to Canada and at a reasonable price.
Yes and Yes. i'd like to buy locally to encourage local business but I can't justify spending 2 or nearly three times the price for the same parts to buy locally.

Quick Reply: Slight idle issue