1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Another new Fit owner checking in

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Another new Fit owner checking in

Hello Forum,

I use these forums for my other makes and now how valuable they can be.

My daughter had her Honda Civic totaled Thanksgiving day. She is finesome knuckle head pulled into her lane and whamo. That left me to runaround with my hair on fire finding a replacement for the civie.

I bought a '07 Fit base model with only 7K miles on it. Yup no typo -7,000 miles for $8K from an elderly lady sold through her son. Black onBlack. A good find I guess I did not want to spend that much but atleast it does not require much.

Questions:
1) I noticed that the front OE Dunlop tires were worn. I was surprisedgiven the mileage. From the records I can verify the low miles, so no concernthere. Do these tires really wear so quickly or can an elderly driverpunish the tires with quick starts? They are worn on the outside. Maybe low tire pressure.

2) I live in NY. I was thinking about buying a set of snow tires andmounting them on the steel wheels. Should I stick with the 175 or go upto 195?

3) In the spring I'll either move the all-season tires on the rear tothe front and worn front to the rear. OR should I buy 4 new 15"tires?

Thanks very much,
Zill.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Zillard
Hello Forum,

I use these forums for my other makes and now how valuable they can be.

My daughter had her Honda Civic totaled Thanksgiving day. She is finesome knuckle head pulled into her lane and whamo. That left me to runaround with my hair on fire finding a replacement for the civie.

I bought a '07 Fit base model with only 7K miles on it. Yup no typo -7,000 miles for $8K from an elderly lady sold through her son. Black onBlack. A good find I guess I did not want to spend that much but atleast it does not require much.

Questions:
1) I noticed that the front OE Dunlop tires were worn. I was surprisedgiven the mileage. From the records I can verify the low miles, so no concernthere. Do these tires really wear so quickly or can an elderly driverpunish the tires with quick starts? They are worn on the outside. Maybe low tire pressure.

2) I live in NY. I was thinking about buying a set of snow tires andmounting them on the steel wheels. Should I stick with the 175 or go upto 195?

3) In the spring I'll either move the all-season tires on the rear tothe front and worn front to the rear. OR should I buy 4 new 15"tires?

Thanks very much,
Zill.
Welcome to the site...

Answers...
1- Keep in mind the tires are 7yrs old at least so they have started to dry rot.

2- If you want more contact patch it won't hurt. the sport uses 195/55 stock vs. your 175/65's.

3- A bigger contact patch on winter tires goes even further with 195/55 all-season.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Dear Desmond,

That is sort of what I was thinking regrading the wear.

Thanks for the tire selection opinion.

Zill.