1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Sound of water running through the hoses in the engine bay!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Sound of water running through the hoses in the engine bay!

For at least the last two or three days when my engine is cold and I start it up I hear what appears to be water running through either my silicone hoses or some other piping in my engine bay. The AC is still ice cold and all of my fluids levels are normal and the car is still running smooth.
Has anyone experienced this or anything similar with their 08 automatic Fit. If so, did you find a solution for it.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Had the same problem, took it to the dealer.. and they said it was air bubbles in the cooling system.. basically they just flushed the system and it was fixed.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thanx a million..My ride is due if not overdue for a flushing.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Sounds like air in your coolant to me too, you dont need to flush, just jack up the front of the car, while cold, remove the radiator cap and turn the car on, have the heat on high till the fan kicks on. The air will go to the highest point in the cooling system and you may have to add fluid to keep it topped off as the air gets burped.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SoUnFit
Sounds like air in your coolant to me too, you dont need to flush, just jack up the front of the car, while cold, remove the radiator cap and turn the car on, have the heat on high till the fan kicks on. The air will go to the highest point in the cooling system and you may have to add fluid to keep it topped off as the air gets burped.

Thankx, you hit the nail on the head....did it this morning and that eliminated that "nagging" problem.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Gurgle Gurgle

We've been fighting this one for a couple of months and the dealer has had it twice to correct this. Haven't picked it up yet today, but I did just talk to him and he stated that they had to raise the front end up to get the last of the bubbles out of the line. Sounds like an engineering goof that the radiator is lower than some of the other parts of the cooling system. Service tech says issue resolved....we'll see, but I feel better knowing that some of you have had the issue and found a similar solution.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Johnmonthrots
We've been fighting this one for a couple of months and the dealer has had it twice to correct this. Haven't picked it up yet today, but I did just talk to him and he stated that they had to raise the front end up to get the last of the bubbles out of the line. Sounds like an engineering goof that the radiator is lower than some of the other parts of the cooling system. Service tech says issue resolved....we'll see, but I feel better knowing that some of you have had the issue and found a similar solution.
Jeeze - tipping the Fit on end to get the coolant burp, that's crazy and a new one on me. What were they thinking, oh - I see, they weren't.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Gurgle No More

Well, after they had raised the front end to try and get the bubbles out, we still heard noises so they had to take it back again. Tech says that they had to work with Honda direct on how to get the air out, but they did. Service writer referenced a vacuum device, which I doubt....but finally I have to say that they were able to resolve. My issue is if anyone opens the radiator cap again and allows air to re-enter, then we are in the same position again....

Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm i have this probelm with my AT fit never had it with my MT one. I have 27k miles on her. I think i will take mine in to have them fix it under my warranty

Old 10-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Relieved to see that someone else has had this problem -- weird! I just bought a 2007 Honda Fit base model, manual tranny; cool little car except for the Niagara Falls sound effect. I'll try having someone flush the coolant. Anyone else experiencing speaker problems? So strange: the sound quality is not at all consistent; sometimes sounds as if the speakers are blown, sometimes sounds fine. Help?

Last edited by beebinscheebing; 10-16-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Jeeze - tipping the Fit on end to get the coolant burp, that's crazy and a new one on me. What were they thinking, oh - I see, they weren't.
Like I said earlier...I did and it solved the problem...have had no issues with it since!!!! Obviously it works for some and not others...is it luck of the draw?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Johnmonthrots
..... My issue is if anyone opens the radiator cap again and allows air to re-enter, then we are in the same position again....
Here-in lies the problem, opening the radiator cap. It's not an issue, it's a fact of automotive life.

NEVER do it to check coolant levels. The only time that cap is opened is to fill the system - not correct fill level.

You check the coolant level by looking at the reservoir. If the level is at or below the MIN mark add coolant to the reservoir NOT the radiator.

You are correct, if the radiator cap is opened air is introduced and will need to be purged.

The standard procedure [from Honda Service Manual] for filing [and purging] the coolant system is to first fill the reservoir to MAX, then fill the radiator to the top and loosely install the cap, start the engine and allow the radiator fan to start and stop at least twice to confirm engine is warm, shut off engine and top off radiator level, then install radiator cap tightly.

This last step is often forgotten, two cycles of the fan before topping off and sealing the radiator. Newbie mistake.

A good hot engine run should then purge that tube and any remaining air from the system.

Really not understanding jacking the front of the car - makes no sense. It's a pressure system with a pump circulating the coolant.

K_C_

Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
cleaning the rdiator cap may help (if it does not seals correctly it will suck air in)

Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 AM
ive noticed this as well. may have to check the coolant levels. otherwise the stealership may have to remedy this one.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
mine does the same thing, just going to flush the system

Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Try checking to make sure the reservoir hose doesn't have a pin hole somewhere where it comes from the radiator to the reservoir, and then the line from the reservoir cap into the reservoir. if either of them has a pinhole and the line in the reservoir isn't below the coolant level, it will just suck air in through it's own reservoir when the engine cools down. Like KC said, the system runs off of a pressure system and recirculation of pressurized coolant. If the engine is running, cap is tight, and air comes up through the radiator, the cap is designed to release under excess LIQUID pressure. Air should pass through it and "burp" into the reservoir freely to relieve air in the system. Also, The Service writers and techs I work with say that when the engine is in for it's 105K mile service (valve adjustment, and coolant flush), They replace the water pump at the same time as procedure. That could be just this dealerships' thing, and not others, idk.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Please Clarify

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Here-in lies the problem, opening the radiator cap. It's not an issue, it's a fact of automotive life.

NEVER do it to check coolant levels. The only time that cap is opened is to fill the system - not correct fill level.

You check the coolant level by looking at the reservoir. If the level is at or below the MIN mark add coolant to the reservoir NOT the radiator.

You are correct, if the radiator cap is opened air is introduced and will need to be purged.

The standard procedure [from Honda Service Manual] for filing [and purging] the coolant system is to first fill the reservoir to MAX, then fill the radiator to the top and loosely install the cap, start the engine and allow the radiator fan to start and stop at least twice to confirm engine is warm, shut off engine and top off radiator level, then install radiator cap tightly.

This last step is often forgotten, two cycles of the fan before topping off and sealing the radiator. Newbie mistake.

A good hot engine run should then purge that tube and any remaining air from the system.

Really not understanding jacking the front of the car - makes no sense. It's a pressure system with a pump circulating the coolant.

K_C_
So what does loosely install mean? Should it just be setting on there or should some of those tabs be engaged? Should it seal or not seal and what are we trying to accomplish is the real question.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SoUnFit
Ditto. That's how you blead an engine.

That's what you should do OP. It takes no time. If your coolant is old, drain it and swap it out. Never hurts, cheap and easy to do.

I did this on my Fit in September. Full flush and refill. Now keep in mind when your hood is popped, it will take longer to the fans to kick in as it is colder. Fans may take 10-15 minutes. Anyways run the heat on full, rad cap off for about 10 minutes. IT'll bleed your system and is the correct way to do so.