1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

HELP adjusting coilovers for HEAVY SYSTEM

Old 07-07-2015, 01:29 AM
Question HELP adjusting coilovers for HEAVY SYSTEM

Alright guys. I don't post here often but im in need of some help, and I'll give to you some background on me since I'll be using the forum more. My gd3 is my baby and its basically just a drivable, reliable shell housing my precious sound system that I've built. Im big into turbos and when my parents sold my mkv gti because of financial purposes, I got my dad's silver gd3. I knew from the beginning that without investing a substantial amount of money (k20 swap + boost? Idk) that i wasn't going to have a fast car. I got into systems slowly and it became an obssesion. Years later now I have A LOT of extra weight in the car. I weigh about 350. My 2 subs and box weigh at least 400 lbs. My batteries all together weigh 250+. At least another 50 lbs in sound deadening (could be 100+). All my pro audio speakers in my temp box I built weigh atleast another 150 lbs. And all the gobs of 0 gauge wire and 4 amps weigh 100+ lbs. These are all conservative figures. I don't have back seats or the spare in for obvious reasons, but not including me, being the driver, I have about 1,000 extra pounds in the car at all times. Throw me and even a small pasenger and we're at 1,500 lbs.
When my dad gave me my gd3 it was a virgin up until about 60k. It has 88k now. It's on eibach sportline lowering springs. White 17" giovanni g-sport rims on 205/40/17 tires. I've had the springs on for about 10k miles now. I recently replaced the back springs with the oem springs because it was wayyyyy too low with all the extra weight (springs were always fully compressed) and looked dumb being so much lower in the back. Now with the oem in the back it still looks lowered and matches the front much nicer.
Now, the help I need:
I've looked into all the brands and am not gonna cheap myself out, that always costs more in the long run. I don't wanna be crazy low, just very little to no wheel gap. There's so many different types of adjustment on coilovers though (dampening, pre load, etc.) and want to here some suggestions on what I should be looking for. So like I said, I want to be just low enough so there's no wheel gap, and I want the ride to be AS SOFT AS POSSIBLE. My gd3 isn't a performance vehicle, im just tired of the absolute garbage ride quality it has right now and I know the suspension as it sits now really doesn't like me. My goal is for it to ride like a luxury car, don't care for sharp handling, too many things in my car to ever even fool around on on-ramps, etc.
Blast away with any sort of knowledge, recommendations, suggestions, even brands. Anything is helpful. Just wanna keep my gd3 going! If you're all about stance, help me out! Thanks in advance.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome.

I would suggest getting some Tein coilovers but since there is extra weight in the car you are really going to need stiffer spring rates to accommodate the weight and not have the tires hit the fenders on bumps. Higher spring rate means less comfort so you will have to decide what is more important. Going with a softer spring rate and not lowering the vehicle to much may be best way to go.