1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Changed ignition coils; still doesn't work!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Changed ignition coils; still doesn't work!

I have an '07. Dealership diagnosed that two were misfiring and wanted to charge me $1,000 to change them (nope!)

Good friend does some car maintenance, and after watching a few videos on how to change the coils, he did it. We bought a pack of four off a seller on eBay who had great reviews. Bought new spark plugs too.

Friend did the work in under half an hour and the car ran great -- for 3 days. After day 3, light came on and car started running like crap again.

Just had diagnostic done and now THREE are misfiring plus random.

What could be the problem? I'm sure my friend did it right or it would run like crap as soon as he changed them, right? Could it be crap coils?

Old 08-08-2015, 06:11 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Ebay coils are not reliable. Go to rockauto and buy the hitachi coil packs. Those are the updated oem and will work.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:04 AM
Sigh.... we were afraid of that. Thank you so much!

Old 08-09-2015, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
The hitachi coils at rockAuto are about 60-80$ a pop I think. They are indeed the OEM part, just doesn't have the honda sticker on it (honda in canada charges an outrageous 200+ dollars a coil)!

Those coils that go for 50$ for a set of 4 are just too good to be true; people leave good reviews but in 10 000 miles, they run into problems again. Just spend the extra money and get the Hitachis which should last you 40-50k miles at least.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:05 AM
ok I will -- thank you so much!

Old 08-09-2015, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DarkVorona
I have an '07. Dealership diagnosed that two were misfiring and wanted to charge me $1,000 to change them (nope!)

Good friend does some car maintenance, and after watching a few videos on how to change the coils, he did it. We bought a pack of four off a seller on eBay who had great reviews. Bought new spark plugs too.

Friend did the work in under half an hour and the car ran great -- for 3 days. After day 3, light came on and car started running like crap again.

Just had diagnostic done and now THREE are misfiring plus random.

What could be the problem? I'm sure my friend did it right or it would run like crap as soon as he changed them, right? Could it be crap coils?
No need to purchase expensive "Hitachi" coils or even OEM. I got my 4 pack from Amazon with lifetime warranty for $70 for all 4. I've had them for 100K miles so far.

BTW, how many miles does your car have? I bet it's near the 100k mark. There are no defects. Did you do a valve adjustment? Mine was doing it at 92k miles and I thought it was coil packs and spark plugs. Turns out the valves needed to be adjusted (they need to be adjusted at 100k anyways!) and once I did it, my car ran like a champ again. No more stalling/sputtering and random flashing check engine light.

I see you're from Burbank? I'm right next door in Glendale. Hit me up the valve adjustment takes few hours to do if you want to tackle the job.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:15 PM
I bought the car last year and it had 115K on it; I have around 130K now. I have no idea about whether the valves were adjusted, but since I (think) it was certified used I would imagine they did.

I'll definitely hit you up!

Old 08-15-2015, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
No need to purchase expensive "Hitachi" coils or even OEM. I got my 4 pack from Amazon with lifetime warranty for $70 for all 4. I've had them for 100K miles so far.

BTW, how many miles does your car have? I bet it's near the 100k mark. There are no defects. Did you do a valve adjustment? Mine was doing it at 92k miles and I thought it was coil packs and spark plugs. Turns out the valves needed to be adjusted (they need to be adjusted at 100k anyways!) and once I did it, my car ran like a champ again. No more stalling/sputtering and random flashing check engine light.

I see you're from Burbank? I'm right next door in Glendale. Hit me up the valve adjustment takes few hours to do if you want to tackle the job.
I already got the hitachi ones for over $200 but out of curiosity which 4-pack did you buy? Glad they worked out for you.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DarkVorona
I have no idea about whether the valves were adjusted, but since I (think) it was certified used I would imagine they did.
I wouldn't bet that they adjusted the valves. Unless it is part of the CPO checklist.

I could only find this on the Honda USA website:

A thorough 182-point mechanical and appearance inspection, performed by the dealer, to ensure that each used vehicle meets Honda Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle standards
I could not find any list of what they check, however.

Cars.com has a checklist here FWIW:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shoppi...inspection.pdf

On Page Two there is a checkbox for #113:

113. Engine Valve Train (Excessive or abnormal noise).....

But we all know that tight valves are SILENT.

So, I would get the valve adjustment done.