1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Manual transmission help, hard to shift with engine on, clutch not disengaging fully?

Old 12-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Manual transmission help, hard to shift with engine on, clutch not disengaging fully?

Hello!

I'm trying to diagnose my friend's 2007 Fit.

I went to drive it the other day, and it was a little hard to shift, progressing to being almost impossible to shift (with the engine on) in about 10 minutes of driving.

With the engine on, I am almost scared to apply the amount of force that is required to get it into first, other gears are not quite as bad but still very hard to shift into. With the engine off, the gears feel perfectly fine.

Also worth noting that when I am in gear, with the clutch pedal fully pressed, it feels like the car does want to move.

So, I can assume the clutch is not disengaging all the way.

What I have already tried:

Bleeding the hydraulic system. I bled through about 10 reservoirs worth, and had a ton of air bleeding out the bottom sporadically. No matter what I did, air still came out with the fluid in seemingly random bursts. See video:

https://goo.gl/photos/EootNrfqfQG6DHXH7

Now that is so much air, I can't imagine where it is coming from. Does anyone have any idea about that?

Worst case scenario, if that air is just coming through the threads of the bleeder valve somehow and not the hydraulic system, then my next guess is I'm putting in a new clutch. But I want to rule out the hydraulics first.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Also, the clutch reservoir was at the right level when I first checked, and I don't see any fluid leaking anywhere at all.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Anyone? Pretty desperate here.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:41 AM
Its probably a bad spring on the clutch disk , you will need to replace the clutch. I had the same symptom on a old honda civic and it was the clutch itself.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
could be a bad slave...

i doubt it would be the clutch disk/spring on it... although a pressure plate could cause this as well...

the bubbles are what i'm concerned about...

can you open up an inspection port on the bell housing and see if there's fluid in there?

Old 12-12-2015, 08:42 PM
So we replaced the slave cylinder just now; and it looks like the bubbles have stopped. Right away they weren't nearly as bad at the video above, but it did take almost a pint of brake fluid to get tiny bubbles to stop showing up. Always hard to tell how much bleeding is enough.

It is still hard to shift though. I think we will try replacing the master cylinder tomorrow, and if that doesn't help then I can't think of anything else but putting in a new clutch kit.

Thanks for the replies! Let me know if anyone can think of anything else.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
if bubbles are being introduced into the system... that means you'll have a small leak as well... try to focus on finding that - should help lead you to the issue

Old 05-16-2016, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by navila17
So we replaced the slave cylinder just now; and it looks like the bubbles have stopped. Right away they weren't nearly as bad at the video above, but it did take almost a pint of brake fluid to get tiny bubbles to stop showing up. Always hard to tell how much bleeding is enough.

It is still hard to shift though. I think we will try replacing the master cylinder tomorrow, and if that doesn't help then I can't think of anything else but putting in a new clutch kit.

Thanks for the replies! Let me know if anyone can think of anything else.
I'm looking for an update on your solution. I have an 08 Sport that is having issues similar to what you're describing. I took it to the local shop today and they drove it around a bit but the problem wouldn't show up for them (go figure). I'm hoping your experience will allow me to give them a general direction to start looking.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Not to help with the thread necro, but do you have a large wad of floor mat jammed under the clutch pedal? I have seen cars towed in for floor mats preventing the owner from pushing the clutch far enough to start the car. Also seen cars crashing gears because of thick floor mats.