1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Driver door hit from behind while half-open

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Fixing driver door, hit from behind while half-open

Looking to fix a possible bent driver's door hinge, hoping to get it at least functional DIY, not expecting to have it restored to like-new.

In this case, it happened because I tried to change my lightbulb in my garage, which is directly above my car (didn't want to climb on top of it), and stupidly left my door half open and backed out a bit too recklessly and hit the garage door frame.

Here's what it looks like:

As you can see, I've already took some initiative and removed the headlight and bumper, in order to get at the body panel in front of the door. In picture #4 (circled in yellow), there's a bolt I'm unable to really get at, due to the windshield shroud-thingee covering it. Is there a way to safely remove it? Am I on the right track here at least, or should I be delivering this straight to an auto body collision center to fix? I was thinking that since the hinges are steel, a bit of careful hammering could straighten them out. I have only limited experience wrenching on cars, but have some experience as a mechanic on fighter jets, and finding not much knowledge is crossing over. Last resort is to drill through the shroud and reseal it afterwards.

Some things to consider:
- The door doesn't open or close any wider without contact with the body panel in front. See pic #3.
- I don't expect the door to latch closed, since it kind of is bowed outwards, not to mention the hinge is probably bent forwards.
- I feel I have enough to cover professional work on this, but it's kind of precious at the moment, due to lack of steady income, so I'm wanting to make every bit of it count. I still have yet to pay off some long term debt (5-digit) involving schooling, etc.
- I have no problem commuting by bike.
- I have access to share another car.

Attached Thumbnails Driver door hit from behind while half-open-kaeme8r.jpg   Driver door hit from behind while half-open-i8fsf35.jpg   Driver door hit from behind while half-open-kwkaqju.jpg   Driver door hit from behind while half-open-5ceg7ov.jpg   Driver door hit from behind while half-open-skls3ar.jpg  

Last edited by Varaxis; 04-14-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:18 PM
The plastic thingy does not seal your windshield. The glue that holds it in place does that. The plastic piece is mainly cosmetic (though I'm sure it also serves some aerodynamic purposes to reduce drag and eliminate wind noises).

I suspect you might find that the frame member the door mounts to is slightly deformed...but maybe not. If it is, a big lever or prybar would be my first attempt at getting it back in shape.

I suggest hunting down a junkyard door.

(If it's any consolation, I pulled the same maneuver with my previous car, although with less damage and presumably less speed. I felt pretty foolish afterwards; I mean, if anybody had asked me whether to close the car door before pulling out of the garage or afterwards, I would not have had to think very hard to answer.)