1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

JDM engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:07 PM
JDM engine

Guys I have a 2006 Fit that needs an engine. I've been trying to look for one for the right price for last few weeks but I can't find it. I don't want a junk yard engine. My buddy is raving about this website: http://www.bestjapaneseengines.com/e...honda/hondafit

He bought a Honda Civic engine from them last year. I called them yesterday and they quoted me a reasonable price for a Japanese engine. They said they have under 50,000 miles. So my question is, do these JDM engines actually have low miles ?

Old 05-08-2016, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, I would say typically they do because a car is considered worn out once it has 50,000 kilometers (approx 30k miles) on it. To get to this typically takes at least 5 years - small country and highly efficient rail transport system. Another good thing is that gas stations, dealers and workshops tell people that an oil change is recommended every six months and many people follow that advice. All in all your chances of getting an engine that has been cared for, not driven hard and with a low mileage is very good.

The blurb on that website is a load of garbage. Shaken inspection isn't that tough or that expensive. It costs me, for my GD1 Fit, about $450 every two years. As that also includes basic insurance for two years it is not expensive at all in comparison with where I'm from.

What is true is that most Japanese people consider a car over about 5 years old and with more than 50,000 kilometers to be basically or at least almost worn out. We know better and some Japanese people do too but the majority believe it and anyway getting a new car every five years or so is just normal.

The only thing to beware of is that Fits tend to be a bit of an exception to the rule. People like them so much they tend to hang on to them, and they get a better price on the secondhand market such as it is. Still, anything with over 50k kilometres that does reach the auctions won't get much more than scrap value.