General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

does the odo still count if your engine ins off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
does the odo still count if your engine ins off?

SInce ppl turn the engines off when the draft, i was curious if the odometer works while the engine is off. If not then actuall it will appear you get fewer miles per gallon
just curious

Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
if you want to rid your fit of miles, just drive backwards. haven't you seen ferris bueller's day off?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 PM
I would say no. You're mileage should not go up because mileage shows how many miles the engine was used. So if your car is off, of course the engine is not running.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^ Is correct. It does not track the mileage when the car is off. Usually this is considered illegal in most states (called coasting), so use caution.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kelmar
^ Is correct. It does not track the mileage when the car is off. Usually this is considered illegal in most states (called coasting), so use caution.
if the engine is off, you don't have power steering and you don't have power brakes. don't do this please.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^Agreed!

IMO, turning off the engine at long red lights is one thing, but turning it off when driving is something completely different.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kelmar
^Agreed!

IMO, turning off the engine at long red lights is one thing, but turning it off when driving is something completely different.
yeah. im not gonna lie, i did this one late night *no other cars on the freeway with me* i'd never consider this on a daily basis. the gains just aren't there.

i'd only turn my car off at railroad crossing. even at a red light, i don't want to look like a jackass if the car doesn't start for some odd reason LOL

Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Turning your engine off while your gears are engaged? I don't recomend it at all. That'll actually ruin the engine. Also note that if you put it on Neutral and rengage it without the proper rev matching on the correct gear, it can produce enough wear and tear to destroy your engine and/or transmission. You're trying to save a couple of bucks, but risking a couple of thousands in repairs. Is it really worth it?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
if the engine is off, you don't have power steering and you don't have power brakes. don't do this please.
I recall a somewhat recent thread (couple of months ago possibly) where a mod and a user both said that they retained power steering when the car was off and coasting. We thought it had to do with the car having electric assist power steering and being left in the number two position. But I don't remember if it was just the ease of using the wheel unaided at speed or if it actually was still (inconsistently though) using power steering.
And the brakes don't seem to dreadfully succumb to unaided assist right away.

I am not condoning anything I just thought those things were interesting to note, albeit...inconsistent.

sorry for going off topic...
peace out

Old 04-10-2008, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
if you want to rid your fit of miles, just drive backwards. haven't you seen ferris bueller's day off?
classic classic

Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
I recall a somewhat recent thread (couple of months ago possibly) where a mod and a user both said that they retained power steering when the car was off and coasting. We thought it had to do with the car having electric assist power steering and being left in the number two position. But I don't remember if it was just the ease of using the wheel unaided at speed or if it actually was still (inconsistently though) using power steering.
And the brakes don't seem to dreadfully succumb to unaided assist right away.

I am not condoning anything I just thought those things were interesting to note, albeit...inconsistent.

sorry for going off topic...
peace out
STILL. i deleted the PS on my del sol when i swapped it. not having PS is meh. but not having brakes. that is stupid and potentially deadly

Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah - this was covered a few weeks ago.

If the car is off, but the ignition is in Accessory-2, the brakes still work and the steering still work. Although you will not have power assist for the brakes or the power steering. No big deal, though.

EDIT - oops, you asked about odometer. YES, it still works if you're in Accessory-2 (the same position it is in if the car is running). So basically you put the car in neutral, allow the RPM of the engine to come down to neutral, turn the car's ignition switch to off, then back to Accessory-2. The odometer will continue to count, the brakes / steering will continue to work. All is well, and you're getting infinite fuel economy.

Last edited by AppleMac*Fit; 04-10-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: I forgot some info
Old 04-10-2008, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit

If the car is off, but the ignition is in Accessory-2, the brakes still work and the steering still work. Although you will not have power assist for the brakes or the power steering. No big deal, though.

EDIT - oops, you asked about odometer. YES, it still works if you're in Accessory-2 (the same position it is in if the car is running). So basically you put the car in neutral, allow the RPM of the engine to come down to neutral, turn the car's ignition switch to off, then back to Accessory-2. The odometer will continue to count, the brakes / steering will continue to work. All is well, and you're getting infinite fuel economy.
yes the brakes work, but not NEARLY with the same force as with the engine runnign

Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit

Apple Mac Knows!

I would add that the brakes will work as normal with eng off for many brake applies or pumps before the vac reserve is depleted. On my Fit it's at least 6 applications of the brakes. When that occurs they still work, just need more force. So for sure if your legs are weak don't consider doing that.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
if you don't want to kill anyone, don't do that.

ps. the scangauge is off when the engine isn't running. so that'll throw off your mileage that way :P

Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
if you don't want to kill anyone, don't do that.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
thx for the info not so much for the $0.02. I dont do this, i was just wondering.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Here's three pages on the pro and cons of coasting,,,
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tral-safe.html

Old 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone else looked at the $'s with this?

I did and now will not do it as much. I was just doing it at or approaching lights or known long stops and not at hi-way speeds.

I counted 7 min at idle I avoided on my 52 mile to and from work commute.
SG says idle fuel usage is .25 to .30 gph

7 min seemed like a lot, but unless my math is off that's
around 29hrs/year or
less than 9 gal of gas or
$30/ year at current gas prices.

Not as attractive as it FEELS

Anyone dare to check that???

Old 04-12-2008, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Has anyone else looked at the $'s with this?

I counted 7 min at idle I avoided on my 52 mile to and from work commute.
SG says idle fuel usage is .25 to .30 gph

7 min seemed like a lot, but unless my math is off that's
around 29hrs/year or
less than 9 gal of gas or
$30/ year at current gas prices.

Not as attractive as it FEELS

Anyone dare to check that???
Hmm...
Let's say 0.30 gal/hour.

My longest light is 5 minutes (usually the only light at which I shut the ICE off).
5/60=0.0833 hours * 0.30 gallons
= 0.025 gallons of fuel saved (for 5 minutes off). --->NOT counting to restart the engine.

0.025 gallons * $3.20/gallon = $0.08 saved (1-way)

$0.08 * 2 = $0.16 or 0.050 gallons (round trip work trip, 1 day)
5 days (per week) * 48 weeks (per year... 1 month vacation) = 240 days commuting to/from work

240 trips * $0.16 (cost to idle at the red lights) = 12 gallons of gas = $38.40 / year

Makes me wonder if turning of the ICE is worth it at the light. Since I idle all the way to the light, I usually don't wait much for lights... Makes me think...

Quick Reply: does the odo still count if your engine ins off?