1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
power steering issue

The power steering in my 07 Fit started having issues a few days ago and seems to be getting worse. It is not working right after I start the engine and I'm either backing out of parking or moving forward. After a few meters of moving it kicks back on. I received a letter from Honda Canada in 2014 saying that they are extending the warranty on power steering issues to 10 years or 240,000 km. So naturally I thought my issue would be covered under warranty. The dealer informed me that my issue was not covered under warranty as it does not fall under the same diagnostic codes as the ones issued for the warranty. They advised that I would need to replace the power steering unit at a cost of $1850 (incl taxes). I am deeply disappointed that first, the power steering unit failed, and second that Honda would not even cover the replacement cost as it does not meet the specific criteria that they set out for the warranty requirements. I have decided to take it to my own mechanic to install a used power steering unit at less than half the cost that Honda is charging. On top of the $1850 they also charged $140 for the diagnostics.
Anyone else experience this issue with the power steering? Hondas are not bullet proof after all (unlike my previous car- a '91 Integra).

Old 08-11-2016, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Get a second opinion from different dealer.
If failure related to the rack or electrical motor warranty does not apply it covers only control unit)
I was smart picking up Fit with ugly 14" steel wheels (so I could buy cheap 175/65-14 tires and be able to steer should power steering fail).
I am totally agree the modern cars are not as durable as cars build in 60s or 70s

Old 08-12-2016, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
I'd not accept the Dealer's verdict. Call Honda Customer Service. Be nice... but see if they would cover at least some of the cost of your issue.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the symptoms (what do you feel when you say 'Not working right'). What codes did the dealer find (and, what do the codes mean)? In my experience, dealers will just recommend replacing EVERYTHING ... but the specific issue could be rectified with a (cheaper) repair.

We had an Accord that started to rust after the warranty ran out, Honda covered half the cost. You have nothing to lose by asking.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Right after starting up the car, the power steering does not work. So when I'm backing out of a parking spot, or moving forward, the steering wheel is very stiff. The light on the dashboard with the steering wheel icon turns on. But after a few seconds of moving forward, the power steering kicks in.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I'd not accept the Dealer's verdict. Call Honda Customer Service. Be nice... but see if they would cover at least some of the cost of your issue.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the symptoms (what do you feel when you say 'Not working right'). What codes did the dealer find (and, what do the codes mean)? In my experience, dealers will just recommend replacing EVERYTHING ... but the specific issue could be rectified with a (cheaper) repair.

We had an Accord that started to rust after the warranty ran out, Honda covered half the cost. You have nothing to lose by asking.
Thanks for your suggestion. The code is DTC 37-01. I just called Honda Canada Customer Service and unfortunately they would not cover any of the costs as it does not fall under the warranty extension.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about Honda's reluctance to assist.

The code you got is a pretty cut-and-dry diagnostic procedure: Replace the Control Unit (because it has failed at initial key-on).

( TF09E00K722000R3201FAAT00 )

I see you know about the other Topic on this fault...and the dealer's price seems quite high. But this is ammunition to call Honda back and say "I know it is not an isolated occurrence, seems to be an issue. Why is the repair price so high? " Ask (again, nicely) to appeal to a supervisor.

Does turning the key on then off, make the steering come back?