Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Honda Warranty Extension notice for Power Steering.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Honda Warranty Extension notice for Power Steering.

Anyone get one of these? Got it in the mail today-

Warranty Extension: Electric Power Steering with DTC 32-09 or 61-04

"Dear Fit Owner,

On some 2007-2008 Fit vehicles, the electric power steering may feel heavier than normal or it is hard to turn, particularly when the vehicle is not moving. To ensure your confidence in our product, American Honda is extending the warranty of the electric power steering to 10 years from the original date of purchase, or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty extension provides coverage for the current owner and any subsequent owners. No action is required unless you experience a problem."

It goes on to say if you've replaced or repaired your steering, that they'll reimburse, etc.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
we must have the same postman. Oh wait, you're 1200 miles away. Yes, I got mine today. Just informed the family that if the car is started/running and the power steering gives out in the vicinity of our house, slowly and carefully drive directly to our neighborhood Honda dealer and go into the service bay. Leave the car running and ask for a technician while the car is still running so they can experience the failure.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
My notice showed up today.
I remember form members talking about power steering issues years ago.
It looks like the early failures were more than isolated events.
Happy Honda is making good on the issue.

Gregg

Old 10-11-2014, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
I received one today also. Honda stands behind their products when there's an issue. Honda extended the warranty on 6th generation automatic transmissions to 100,000 miles or seven years for a known defect.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I got this yesterday along with a nice package letter about the new 2015 fit.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Got mine, too. I was a little surprised because I didn't recall many posts concerning power steering failures. Nice to know H will cover it; sticking the letter in my glove box along with the service records.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone decided to get this 'problem' fixed BEFORE it fails & the driver loses control? The letter instructs owners to have it repaired "if the steering feels heavier than normal" Seems pretty subjective to me.
This was the only downside I discovered doing my research before buying my GD-3. At that time a (very) few owners were complaining that this cost them more that a thousand dollars for repairs and the Dealer/Manufacturer refused to admit fault and cover the costs.
Way to go, Honda-USA...

Old 10-26-2014, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Better Late then Never

First off I have not gotten a letter for this problem. I hope it is not subject to the US only, since this problem is in Canadian Fits as well. 5 years ago, I had taken my car to Honda with a little over 60,000 km on it, with the EPS unit failing only to have them make me fit the bill for half. When turning to go onto a highway, I had the wheel lock me out, and couldn't turn back out nearly causing a wreck. This was when they decided to replace the unit, but not before they sucked more money out from me for diagnostics. They even broke a clip, and fuse box cover in the process(was not told and had to discovered upon inspection after the fact) .
I am going to talk with the boys at Honda, to see if I can get my money back for paying for a recall they are now owning up to 5 years later. I have all my papers ready, and thought I was done after the window switch recall fiasco.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lance
First off I have not gotten a letter for this problem. I hope it is not subject to the US only, since this problem is in Canadian Fits as well. 5 years ago, I had taken my car to Honda with a little over 60,000 km on it, with the EPS unit failing only to have them make me fit the bill for half. When turning to go onto a highway, I had the wheel lock me out, and couldn't turn back out nearly causing a wreck. This was when they decided to replace the unit, but not before they sucked more money out from me for diagnostics. They even broke a clip, and fuse box cover in the process(was not told and had to discovered upon inspection after the fact) .
I am going to talk with the boys at Honda, to see if I can get my money back for paying for a recall they are now owning up to 5 years later. I have all my papers ready, and thought I was done after the window switch recall fiasco.
I'm in Montreal, Quebec and also have not received a notice.

***EDIT *** just got the notice in the mail today. Lance, if you don't receive it within a week, PM me and I'll scan the relevant documentation for you. It says that you may be eligible for a refund if you've had work done on the steering assist, even if you no longer own the car! Canadian warranty extension is 10years or 240k kilometers, whichever comes first.

Last edited by MTLian; 10-27-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Took my 2007 in this week to have it looked at. My power steering is starting to not come on when I start the car. If I shut it off and restart, it will come on. They did a scan and found that the issues is related to the warranty extension so it is covered.

However, and this is a big one, they don't have parts until MARCH!! Called Honda Canada to confirm and they said they don't have any parts for the power steering pump for the 2007 Fit and it probably won't be until March 2015 is when they expect to have the part.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Lance
i just purchased my fit from its 1st owner about 3 weeks ago. i took it to the dealer within the first week to see if there were any active recalls available and they confirmed the power steering one along with a window switch one. Being that i just purchased this car and there would have been NO WAY for them to know that im the new owner, i would definitely pay your local dealer a visit because my local dealer said my fit was still covered for the power steering issue.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
I received this notice in the mail a little while ago for the power steering. Almost threw it away. Keeping it handy juuuust in case, it craps out.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Trying to get reimbursed under extended warranty

I received the warranty extension letter about the same time.
My EPS module failed and needed replaced this past summer, right before hitting 150,000 miles.
I have submitted my claim for reimbursement but Honda wants to deny it because they say that they need proof of the DTC in order for the claim to be valid.
I diagnosed and fixed this issue myself because I didn't want to spend $1200+ to have it fixed. I wound up paying about $600 total for the part and to have it relearned at the nearest Honda dealer.
I been searching for proof of the DTC code but haven't turned up anything yet.
They said they'd close the claim soon if I don't come up with some kind of diagnostic proof. I don't remember this requirement being mentioned in the extended warranty notice.
The warranty extension is much appreciated but doesn't mean as much if they won't cover a part that cleared failed.

If anybody could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Mine failed five or so years ago when my car was out of warranty of course and my car ended up sitting at the dealer for a couple of weeks while I filed a complaint with american honda. They ended up covering part of the repair and sticking me with the remainder which was around $300.00. Now I'm trying to get renumbered for the $300.00. We'll see what happens.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Used warranty to fix so can't get my warranty refunded

It's all fine and dandy that Honda finally issued an extended warranty, but I used the warranty I purchased to fix the problem when my car had 43K miles (now 111K). Because I used the warranty I didn't get the money back when it expired July, 2014 (fully refundable if not used). Honda is will to reimburse if you paid cash, so if I HADN'T bought the warranty I would get my money back. They refused to refund the $2K dollars I have lost because I used my warranty to fix a defective part. Honda Car agreed that I was "screwed" because of timing.

Anyone else have the problem? I will have to take Honda to court if needed over this. To them $2K is nothing. To me, it is a lot of money.

Note about the DTC code: The letter didn't say anything. I got mine repaired at the dealer and it does have the correct DTC code which has to be "DTC 61-04" or "DTC 6132-09". Mine is DTC 61-4, which qualifies, not that it does me any good.

Last edited by pizzapie; 01-30-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: respond to dtc question.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
My power steering failed today

My dealer is playing games, they say there is no extended warranty on the power steering. Anyone have an actual link to the bulletin or a number I can get the dealer to look up?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Dropped her at Crest Honda in Nashville this morning. They offered a loaner but I don't need one. They were aware of the problem and are getting right on it.

Can't ask for more.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM
I received notice as well. I have been having the issues during the winter where the eps never initiates at starts during the cold weather for better than 5-yrs. Brought it in the other day to Keeler Honda in Latham, NY, and received no attention for the eps module. I was informed that there were no stored codes, and told to bring it back when it was acting up. Except you can't drive when it acts up. Last winter was bad for me. I was restarting my car better than 5 times on occasions. I hope they get this right this time.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:15 PM
do you need a new power steering rack if the old one works fine? Or eventually is it prone to failure? I'm sitting at 192,000 km