1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Autopsy of a junk yard Fit (2008)

Old 10-08-2016, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Autopsy of a junk yard Fit (2008)

Today I did a field research of 2008 Fit arrived on the wrecking yard (Stanton, CA)
Background: the car had front end collision with driver airbag deployment.
It was AT with high mileage
Nevertheless, someone pulled transmission out ((damaging the engine block beyond repair)
What I've found:
1)The car had coils
#2 and 4 were original with discolored boot end (almost white)
other 2 were made by Duralast (bright red boot ends)
Despite recent installation the coil snout had excessive amount of rust like residue inside and significant deterioration of plastic; the high voltage coil output terminal had flat end (not sharp peak) compared to dealer's coils and Hitachi 0053
Coils had no vent hole (older design)
2) The A/F sensor was original and was not hard to remove at all
3) The rear motor mount was torn (long before engine removal) and required significant effort for removal from subframe
4) the water pump was like new(no play,no noise, smooth rotation)
5) the idler was rough and noisy
6) the a/c compressor clutch was badly scored!
7) the C103 connector was cleaner (no dust) than on my car; there was water (!) inside of the boot. This connector uses shorting bar to split power to ignition coils from common source. The terminals were clean, no corrosion
8) the throttle body uses huge motor (like on electric drill and heavy metal gears to rotate the throttle except the geared sector attached to the throttle shaft (plastic) with heavy clock spring. The TP sensor looks very unusual (like proximity sensor) and seems to be embedded into the cover
There was some water in TB electrical connector.
PS I finally scored intact enter console cover under parking brake
Thanks for reading!!

Last edited by doctor J; 10-09-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks

Sounds like a fun time. I used to browse the junkyards in my youth. Nowadays, the owners won't let you. (Liability?)

The closest Pick-n-Pull to me is 3 hrs drive away...

Old 10-09-2016, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I'm in SoCal. A half day of visiting a few junkyards was quite futile for me. They only had cars that were picked clean. I don't know what the point of letting people in was.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
$3 for entrance
But it is a cool place to learn about fixing cars

Old 12-04-2016, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting!

I enjoyed reading your thread, I'm in the Cleveland, Ohio area, I mostly see, women driving my 1st gen fits, I get chased once in a great while by a particular SI civic, it is in good fun, but back to your thoughts, I just might start doing this in my area. I'm not sure if the junk yards in my area would allow me to go thru a fit, like you do , but It would be interest to find out thanks for the Idea!

Old 12-04-2016, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
I'm in SoCal. A half day of visiting a few junkyards was quite futile for me. They only had cars that were picked clean. I don't know what the point of letting people in was.
The PYP now has an inventory online with photos, so at least you could see condition and color of the car before taking the trip. (But some professional visitors, however may strip some parts before the data is posted to website)
One time I encountered incompetent guy with big tool box, most likely hired by someone who sells used parts removing powertrain from wrecked 09 Fit -- [not listed in inventory]; he managed to break right side mount bracket boss of the timing chain cover. Not sure if his "master" will pay him for labor