1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Sloppy Seconds

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by idrivemyself
Went to delete the CDV this afternoon and didn't realize that the inlet size is 12x1mm, not 10x1mm as I thought. So those plans are on hold until an adapter arrives; I bled the system instead. I knew that the fluid was bad, but I didn't know that it was that bad.

I hope that your brake fluid is in better condition!!

Old 05-02-2017, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Brake fluid?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Also, what happened to your odometer reading after you modded the cluster?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't modded the cluster yet. That's another project in waiting as I need to send off the gauge face card and acquire a few other things before work begins. I will be retaining my original cluster circuit board in the end, so there won't be a need to transfer the odometer reading. I'll make an update in here as it all happens.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Ksport update: The coilovers are going back.

It's now the end of Thursday, 5/4, and I have yet to hear back from Ksport as to why their shocks do not fit. Yes, it's been a week and a half full of excuses and empty promises of returned phone calls from them and their "engineering department" as to what the next step is in getting their parts to fit my car. More simply, all over the simple question of, "why aren't your rear shocks manufactured to fit a GD Honda Fit, and how would you guys like to correct it?" So Monday, 4/1, I got THMotorsports involved (I purchased through them). Michael at THM was receptive and highly concerned as to their unusual behavior as well, and he reached out on my behalf. Anthony called me back that evening and (surprise, surprise) promised another phone call with an answer the next day, Tuesday. That went nowhere, Tuesday came and went. So Wednesday morning I emailed Michael saying that if I didn't hear from Ksport by the close of business Wednesday that the front coils were coming off and I would be returning the kit. Surprise, surprise (again); they didn't call me. Nor did they contact Michael with an answer. Which is an incredibly disrespectful gesture to one of their re-sellers, let alone regarding a customer. And as I am good to my word, I removed the front struts and put everything back in the box. So to hell with Ksport and on to better suspension.

I'm back on the table of open to recommendations for an adjustable street/light track capable strut/shock that can handle swapping springs around on. Tokico HRS' would be awesome but the current price is above what I'm currently willing to spend. When/if the Fit is a dedicated track toy with a cage, never destined to see daily driving ever again, I'll have no problem spending $1400 on dampers and another $700 on GC's plus more springs. TEIN Flex Z's are more in-line and look appealing, but this is day #1 and I'm just getting back to searching.

*Of note - my disappointing experience with Ksport is in no way a negative reflection on THMotorsports. Michael at THM has been helpful and I will be doing business with them in the future.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
I heard Function & Form now offers adjustable spring rates on their Eibach springs matched up with their Type II's. Not to mention the 2-year warranty now. I've had good experience with their products and their customer service (in my experience) is pretty good as well.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Good to know, thanks. I've always thought of them as a "scene" manufacturer, and for that reason they weren't on my list, but I'll take a second look. What do you have from them and how has it faired through the winter? Any binding or coating issues?

Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Good to know, thanks. I've always thought of them as a "scene" manufacturer, and for that reason they weren't on my list, but I'll take a second look. What do you have from them and how has it faired through the winter? Any binding or coating issues?
I've had the Type I's on my EJ hatch and coupe, both were daily/winter driven and had no issues binding or even leaking. Have the Type II's on my GD right now but not with the Eibachs (bought my set a year before they offered custom rates), no complains at all. I also grease them up yearly as part of "my" maintenance, so no binding is happening.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre
I've had the Type I's on my EJ hatch and coupe, both were daily/winter driven and had no issues binding or even leaking. Have the Type II's on my GD right now but not with the Eibachs (bought my set a year before they offered custom rates), no complains at all. I also grease them up yearly as part of "my" maintenance, so no binding is happening.
Awesome! That's great to hear that they've fared well and especially that you're a repeat customer. Looks like they're out of stock on the Type II's for a GD, I'll have to call them next week, plus I have a few questions too. The big one being that they look like they're manufactured in the same place as the Ksports. But with the two year warranty it does help ease that a bit.

In part of my recent homework, and considering that I'll never be slamming this car, it looks like I could run coils meant for a GE... Most spring rates are slightly softer, but more importantly it opens up the world of Bilstein and Koni dampers. Bilstein's B14 kit looks to have progressive rate springs, which is fine, I want to find out the progressive range - that might be the winner. Especially if they can handle a 300-500lb Eibach spring.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:31 PM
just buy tokico blues and progress springs

Old 05-06-2017, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
No thanks.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in a similar boat as you since my Tokico HTSs are beginning to show some age and weaken. After skimming around a bit I've seen that there are GOOD complete coilover kits that are just a smidgen more than hunting around for a complete set of HTSs.

I'm currently looking into BR Racing's DR Series coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade since a few Fit owners who autocross and/or road race have mentioned good things about them. From what I'm seeing so far is that they ARE rebuildable and they CAN be valved accordingly to your spring rate.

Maybe give them a look?

BC Racing | Official North American Distributor

Originally Posted by mangosmoody
just buy tokico blues and progress springs
You might as well run factory dampers if you suggest that route.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
I'm in a similar boat as you since my Tokico HTSs are beginning to show some age and weaken. After skimming around a bit I've seen that there are GOOD complete coilover kits that are just a smidgen more than hunting around for a complete set of HTSs.

I'm currently looking into BR Racing's DR Series coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade since a few Fit owners who autocross and/or road race have mentioned good things about them. From what I'm seeing so far is that they ARE rebuildable and they CAN be valved accordingly to your spring rate.

Maybe give them a look?

BC Racing | Official North American Distributor
I was planning on sending you a PM in the next day or two about all of this, guess you read my mind!

BC's DR series, huh? That's new to me. I don't have any experience with BC either but have heard that Ksport is their knock-off brand out of the same factory in Taiwan, and I wasn't terribly impressed with the quality of the Ksports that are about to go out the door, for what that's worth (but I kind of expected it, they were ~$750). For the money they're asking on those DR's with the Swift upgrade, we're getting in to KW V2 territory. Those I do have experience with and wouldn't hesitate to buy to serve double duty. They're quality through and through. But the price is a bit to swallow on a $4000 Fit that I'm parking outside and stuffing mountain bikes in to every other weekend. So again, they'll probably have to wait until it's a mostly track car.

I'm very interested in the F/F type two's and Tein Flex Z's. While the F/F's look to be Taiwanese manufactured (not that that's always a bad thing), they start off at 6k springs front and rear with adjustable dampers. Which means that 7-8k springs should be ok with adjustment. I plan on calling them this week for more information about the dampers and will share my findings. Their price point doesn't hurt either, plenty of room to purchase several sets of Eibach springs and still be under $1k. Not to mention F/F has a two-year warranty as well.

F/F Type Two

Old 05-08-2017, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
F/F Update: I spoke with them this morning and the Type Two dampers can handle 8k springs with the adjustment knob. Unfortunately they don't expect the next stock order to be in for roughly two months.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
F/F Update: I spoke with them this morning and the Type Two dampers can handle 8k springs with the adjustment knob. Unfortunately they don't expect the next stock order to be in for roughly two months.
2 months go by pretty quick.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre
2 months go by pretty quick.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
I said, "to hell with coilovers for today," earlier on and finally installed the Progress RSB. There was a bunch of loose stuff in the hatch on the drive home so I haven't found out how much lift-off fun I gained. That'll be for tomorrow.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Amazon.com has been a good friend of mine over the years and the evidence of that hasn't been more clear than on this past Monday. I wasn't planning on purchasing an FSB for the Fit just yet, not until after several auto-x events and a Sebring track day was on the horizon and I had a better feel for the chassis, but sometimes things happen that take you in a different direction. Amazon's "suggested items" directed me to a Blox FSB listed. Only one was available and at a price of $31.42 (!!?!!?!). So I bought it... cautiously. Lo and behold it arrived yesterday! So now the target is to run in the next local auto-x HS-S5 class that allows suspension/chassis/brake upgrades but stock springs and no wider than a 195 tire (modified SCCA rules). Which the current crappy Sumitomo AS tires that I bought the car with are, and I'll run them for a few events partially because I just don't care for now and mostly because their season is almost over (runs from Sept-Jul).

Old 05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Amazon.com has been a good friend of mine over the years and the evidence of that hasn't been more clear than on this past Monday. I wasn't planning on purchasing an FSB for the Fit just yet, not until after several auto-x events and a Sebring track day was on the horizon and I had a better feel for the chassis, but sometimes things happen that take you in a different direction. Amazon's "suggested items" directed me to a Blox FSB listed. Only one was available and at a price of $31.42 (!!?!!?!). So I bought it... cautiously. Lo and behold it arrived yesterday! So now the target is to run in the next local auto-x HS-S5 class that allows suspension/chassis/brake upgrades but stock springs and no wider than a 195 tire (modified SCCA rules). Which the current crappy Sumitomo AS tires that I bought the car with are, and I'll run them for a few events partially because I just don't care for now and mostly because their season is almost over (runs from Sept-Jul).

lucky mofo i just checked for it and no go lmao, almost same thing with me when i bought my AFE intake for my bmw retail is like 400 i bought on amazon for 99 bucks

Old 05-11-2017, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Dafuq?! Very lucky!
I bought my T1R FSB for $170ish, just because I'm a T1R collector.
But those things make such a huge improvement, imo. Good buy!

Quick Reply: Sloppy Seconds